Ribbon Falls Loop

Ribbon Falls Loop is a 6.1 kilometer heavily trafficked loop trail located near Kananaskis, Alberta, Canada that features a waterfall. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips.

6.1 km
313 m

Parking at Ribbon Creek Trailhead.

We took Ribbon Creek Trail to Ribbon Falls and onward to Ribbon Lake. This was a fantastic day. The hike to Ribbon Falls is long, but not too challenging. The trail climbs gradually, though the path is rocky and uneven much of the way. I'm glad I didn't bring my dog as the very rocky terrain would have been hard on her paws. The Falls are beautiful and make for a full-sensory stop along the trail for photos or lunch. The trail was affected by the 2013 floods, but has been repaired.

Beyond the falls, the trail to Ribbon Lake is steeper and more challenging, but the views are amazing. (See the trail description for Ribbon Lake for my review on that.)

It took us about 3 hours to get to the Falls. The trail to the Falls is closer to 10k one way.

Other trails in the area (including trails connecting with Ribbon Creek Trail to complete the loop) were closed for bear activity. Be sure to check with Alberta Parks before you depart.

Attempted the loop with the family but the return part of the loop is closed because of bear activity. Fun and easy trail. In fact, it should be rated "easy" instead of moderate.

It is an easy hike to Ribbon Falls at 1848 m. My GPS says 21.6 km round trip from where we started the trail at Ribbon Creek parking lot at 1456 m. It took us 3.5 hours out with photo stops along the way and 2.5 hours back.

This trail is easy but long. Unlike what it says above it's actually 22 km from the trailhead to the falls and back. You walk through a pretty canyon along Ribbon Creek. Smaller waterfalls along the way. Not much elevation. Mostly Forrest terrain. It's easy for dogs but long and my dogs paws were pretty tore up from the rocky terrain areas and length of the hike. It took me 4.5 hours to get to the falls and back including stopping for pics and for lunch at the falls. I would do this trail again.

The distance is much greater than the 1.9 km mentioned in the description. I was out with my young family and we were looking for a short hike. Based on the app, we thought that we would find a waterfall about 1 km in. We went 2 and still didn't see a waterfall. We assumed that it was a small one that got washed out in 2013, as it's cleat that the creek has changed it's course in a number of places since then. For the distance that we went it follows the creek which was flowing nicely. It surpassed my expectations for a hike that has little altitude gain. My wife and I had already decided to come back and do the hike again. Now after reading the review from another hiker who mentions that the hike is much longer than what we had been lead to believe by this app, we are eager to take this trail again and go to the falls.