Ribbon Creek Loop

Ribbon Creek Loop is a 5.6 kilometer heavily trafficked loop trail located near Kananaskis, Alberta, Canada that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from May until October.

5.6 km
226 m

Parking at Ribbon Creek Trailhead.

Meh, boring

Trail is in good shape. Sign posted for bear in the area. Didn’t see it but there were two piles of bear skat on the trail. Had the bear bells on and had no encounter. Both piles were on the return leg (Terrace trail) close to the end of the trail (near parking lot). The falls are much further up the Ribbon Creek trail than the loop.

Started the hike in reverse on the return portion of the trail and had to turn back as we had a very close encounter with a black bear. I would suggest staying off the return part of the loop and bringing bear spray if you are in this area.

Awesome hike to enjoy with the whole family. We did however see a black bear by the parking lot in the bush. So be sure to check online for bear sittings before you go out, and don't forget bear spray!

Perfect for a young family! Our two year old walked a good part of the way.
Very pretty and lots of bridges which the kiddos loved

IMPORTANT: This loop will not bring you to the Ribbon Falls.
If you want to see the falls then you can expect less than 12km one way, which brings you to a small back country campground (Ribbon Falls Backcountry campsite).
There are smaller falls throughout, but nowhere near as big.
We did ~20km after expecting to do 5-8km, and it was not difficult (cooler day, little water, few snacks).
Coverage is decent, but sunscreen to be safe.
You'll follow the creek all the way to the end.
Saw various ages and body types on the trail.

The loop described is alright, but I'd encourage doing the further trail and returning.
May long had snow for the last 1km only, but was compact.

We took Ribbon Creek Trail to Ribbon Falls and onward to Ribbon Lake. This was a fantastic day. The hike to Ribbon Falls is long, but not too challenging. The trail climbs gradually, though the path is rocky and uneven much of the way. I'm glad I didn't bring my dog as the very rocky terrain would have been hard on her paws. The Falls are beautiful and make for a full-sensory stop along the trail for photos or lunch. The trail was affected by the 2013 floods, but has been repaired.

Beyond the falls, the trail to Ribbon Lake is steeper and more challenging, but the views are amazing. (See the trail description for Ribbon Lake for my review on that.)

It took us about 3 hours to get to the Falls. The trail to the Falls is closer to 10k one way.

Other trails in the area (including trails connecting with Ribbon Creek Trail to complete the loop) were closed for bear activity. Be sure to check with Alberta Parks before you depart.

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Attempted the loop with the family but the return part of the loop is closed because of bear activity. Fun and easy trail. In fact, it should be rated "easy" instead of moderate.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

It is an easy hike to Ribbon Falls at 1848 m. My GPS says 21.6 km round trip from where we started the trail at Ribbon Creek parking lot at 1456 m. It took us 3.5 hours out with photo stops along the way and 2.5 hours back.

Monday, June 19, 2017

This trail is easy but long. Unlike what it says above it's actually 22 km from the trailhead to the falls and back. You walk through a pretty canyon along Ribbon Creek. Smaller waterfalls along the way. Not much elevation. Mostly Forrest terrain. It's easy for dogs but long and my dogs paws were pretty tore up from the rocky terrain areas and length of the hike. It took me 4.5 hours to get to the falls and back including stopping for pics and for lunch at the falls. I would do this trail again.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

The distance is much greater than the 1.9 km mentioned in the description. I was out with my young family and we were looking for a short hike. Based on the app, we thought that we would find a waterfall about 1 km in. We went 2 and still didn't see a waterfall. We assumed that it was a small one that got washed out in 2013, as it's cleat that the creek has changed it's course in a number of places since then. For the distance that we went it follows the creek which was flowing nicely. It surpassed my expectations for a hike that has little altitude gain. My wife and I had already decided to come back and do the hike again. Now after reading the review from another hiker who mentions that the hike is much longer than what we had been lead to believe by this app, we are eager to take this trail again and go to the falls.