Read's Ridge & Mount Sparrowhawk Trail

Read's Ridge & Mount Sparrowhawk Trail is a 10.5 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Dead Man's Flats, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, walking, and snowshoeing.

10.5 km
1396 m

1 hour ago

We did this yesterday August 28, 2017. Fantastic views.

Very rewarding to be 10,000ft+ above sea level. My hiking buddy and I were completely mesmerised by the huge fossil deposit this area has. If you want to see fossilized creatures that used to live in this area millions of years ago, stop and take a look at your feet while your scrambling! You won't be disappointed.

We did this hike Sunday July 2nd, which was a long weekend. The day was beautiful, little to no cloud cover, a high of 27 and very little wind. Finding the parking lot and trail head is very simple as long as your follow the instructions. Early on in the hike (first 30 mins) there are two Y intersections but just stick left (Going up) they are marked with a small sign or post.

I would rate this hike a moderate to difficult hike. There is really no challenging aspects until you reach the mountain peak which light scrambling but it is a long hike so bring lots of water. There were small springs and waterfalls the day we were out as the snow was still melting so if you have some tablets you can refill from there if necessary.

In all i really enjoyed the hike, would recommend to anyone looking for something new and exciting.

Completed this one August 20, 2016 some of the best 360 degree views in all of Alberta. The way up is quite the grind but well worth it! the We descended skiiers left of reads ridge on the way down and met up with the Sparrowhawk Tarns trail eventually, although I would not reccomend this descent route personally. All in all a great hike with some light scrambling and also a 10,240 foot summit is something to be proud of I'll definitely be back! :)

Monday, November 30, 2015

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

My third time back to the Spray Lake Provincial Park in Alberta, Canada, but I was even more impressed by the views than the very impressive first two times !!!

Here's a link to a very good description of the route. http://www.trailpeak.com/trail-Mount-Sparrowhawk-near-Canmore-AB-11160

Saturday, July 26, 2014