Rawson Lake Trail via Upper Kananaskis Lake Trail is a 4.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kananaskis Improvement District, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September.

rock climbing

Hiked up yesterday and microspikes were the ticket to an easy climb. I also used poles but others didn’t and had no issues. It is more spectacular in the summer but still a stunning backdrop.

The beginning of the hike near the lake is flat, and enough to warm you up. Shortly after it is a steep incline up, and is slick after it rains. Once you make it up to the lake, the hike is well worth it. I brought my dog with me, and she struggled on the small-medium sized rocks around Rawson lake.

Steep climb that seems never ending! Amazing trail while following Kananaskis Lake then the trail turns off into the forest for a steep incline that doesn’t quit. Getting to the lake was a bit anti-climactic but perhaps this is because the lake was gray and frozen. I’m not sure it’s worth the hike just for Rawson but I would definitely do again to get to Sarrail for the reward of breathtaking views.

Did this hike on the weekend before the snow came down. It was a great hike for my son and I. Trail was a little muddy and slippery in spots from the recent rain. And provided a good challenge for us. The view at the top was amazing and worth the climb. Lunch along the water was great and we were joined by a cheeky chipmunk and the chirps of the Pikas.

nice trail for start hiking specially with family

absolutely beautiful hike! seen lots of fresh jumping in the lake and many birds :)
plan to spend lots of time at the lake as there's lots to see!

A great trout lake but can be finicky. You can catch 50 when it’s on or 0 when it’s off.

Beautiful trail.. I started early around 8AM, this hike is busy...crowds start at 10AM. Weather change quick up at Rawson Lake... moderate hike till Rawson lake.... it’s little technical after lake towards Saarail ridge be careful...

great hike! good for all skill levels. The view of the lake and the mountain at the top did not disappoint.

The first 3/4 of this trail is all uphill, but it takes you through gorgeous forest, and the views of the lake, cliffs, and mountains at the end make it all worthwhile. The trail was heavily populated with people of most fitness levels and quite a few dogs. To note, there is a pit toilet at the lake. The trail continues around to the far side of the water, and some of it is pretty rocky - good shoes are a must. In all, a trail I would recommend: hard work rewarded with a beautiful endpoint.

Awesome hike with lots of variety. Worth the climb, will come back and do again next year!

This was on the list for the summer and it did not disappoint. Steady climb to the lake but well worth it. Next time we plan on going on to do Sarrail Ridge.

Beautiful hike and a little bit of everything to see - a waterfall and two lakes. Scenery is unreal. Some of the trail is steep in the middle but overall the hike is short. Can’t wait to go again. We hear you can go to furthest end of Rawson Lake and hike up to the ridge for peek views! Next time for sure.

This was a beautiful hike, that we did yesterday! It is all uphill and had some steep spots, but if you take your time it is well worth it! The trail is very well maintained. It was not busy at all. Once we got to Rawson Lake my son and daughter continued up to the ridge, it took them another hour to get up on the ridge. It is a steep climb up the ridge and they did it without any poles or equipment. Beautiful photos from the top of the ridge. Great hike, beautiful views!

This was a great hike! There are some areas where it gets steep and I would recommend poles for the decent. Absolutely worth the views once you hit the top!

Got to enjoy the lovely views of both the Upper Kananaskis lake and Rawson lake. Entire hike is uphill, but well worth it when you get to the top. Rawson lake is absolutely gorgeous! Not many people around when you get to the top. More people around the Kananaskis lake.

I have done this hike twice now, the first was at the end of March in heavy snow where you could barely see across the lake, the second was Tuesday evening - we were going to hike up Sarrail ridge to catch the sunset but we had too late of a start to even catch sunset at the lake - not sure we would have seen much through all the smoke, but it is a lovely hike and will definitely do it again and hit the ridge next time!

This was an amazing hike for our family. We camped at Mt Sarrail walk in tent campground. Tuesday morning we walked across the street and up to Upper Kananaskis Lake and then to the trail head of Rawson Lake. We were so lucky to have a blue sky sunny day and enjoyed every amazing step along the trail!! It is a moderate hike with lots of twists and turns, uphill switchbacks but so much beauty. We stopped for lunch on Rawson Lake like many other families. One of my sons and my husband ventured on to the challenging steep path of Sarrail Ridge. My other son and I headed over to “the big rock” and found it easy to climb on top! I made it about 1/4 of the way up the steep incline to my goal big tree towards Sarrail Ridge and was satisfied with seeing the beautiful views from that viewpoint. We had a dip in the glacier fed lake on our way back to the lake because it was so hot!! We spent about 6 hours on our hike between stopping for breaks and hiking back to the campground. It was an incredible hike and we would definitely do it again.

Did this trail back in May and there was a lot of snow. We ended up going the wrong way and added an unexpected 20km or so to our hike that we were not prepared for. By the time we got to Rawson Lake we were sore and wet from slipping in the feet of snow that covered 70% of the trail around the far side of the large lake. Rawson was still frozen over also. All in all good hike but make sure you know which way you’re going!

As of August 3 the trail has reopened.
This is a family friendly hike that is steady through trees but not technical.
If you go at a decent pace you can make it in around an hour to Rawson lake.
There is an option to continue on to Sarrail ridge, which I would recommend if you have poles/a walking stick and are prepared for a STEEP dirt trail. From the ridge you get a fantastic view of Rawson lake as well as the upper Kananaskis lake on the other side. Quite spectacular.
Otherwise, Rawson lake is the perfect spot for lunch, there is an outhouse a little ways a way and I did see people swimming and fishing in it (though you should check if fishing is allowed).
Overall a well kept trail to a beautiful lake. There are planks put on the ground for a section near the top to traverse muddy sections.

Great hike, can be very busy. Best part is there are washrooms at the top.

The trail was a little worn down and supper muddy but the view made it worth it!

One of the best hikes in the Kananaskis region. Steady uphill climb once you take the Rawson lake trail turn, but flattens out nearer to the lake. The lake itself is very beautiful and cozy. We went there early June, and there was still quite a bit of snow at the top. The view was so tranquil that we ended up spending over an hour there just admiring the scene. Definitely recommend this hike to everyone.

Awesome hike up to Rawson mostly shaded which is nice when the sun is beating down. We caught lots of cutthroat in the 12-16inch range. I was informed larger ones are present.

The trail was pretty mucky and a little busy but the well worth it. It’s an enjoyable afternoon hike.... the switchbacks are a bit of work but once they are done, it’s smooth sailing to the top and an easy trek down. The lake is stunning and there are plenty of spots to stop for a snack, scramble up the rock face or just enjoy the view. Two grizzlies were pacing in the meadow at the far end during our visit.

well travelled trail, a little muddy in spots so watch your footing! would suggest going out earlier in the day as the trail gets quite busy. the hike took us about 2 hours round trip with a little stop for a bite at rawson lake. would definitely do again to serrail ridge for a longer hike!

Love this hike! Have done it several times in all seasons!

Beautiful Hike. Our 4 year old was able to complete it. Switchbacks get your heart going.

Moderately uphill climb up to the lake but a relatively short distance. The lake view alone is worth the trip.

Steep to start but incredibly worthwhile.