Rawson Lake Trail to Sarrail Ridge

Rawson Lake Trail to Sarrail Ridge is a 10.9 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kananaskis, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

10.9 km
971 m

beach

bridge out

I did this on Remembrance day. It was beautiful. The snow was up to the thigh at some point. On the way back, I could hear the avi sounds. So, just be careful out there.

Beautiful scenery. Lots of variety. Definitely need the right gear at this time of year with all the snow. Stay left of the rocky gully on the way down. It’s a bit sketchy with the snow and ice. Take the adjacent avalanche gully. Much easier and faster decent.

This was a great hike and the views from the ridge were 110% worth every step! It does get steep going up from Rawson Lake to Sarrail Ridge and the trail got muddy and slippery on the way down, but between the parking lot and Rawson Lake was fine.

Did this one Oct 15, 2017. Well established trail, first part along Upper Kananaskis Lake is a gradual incline. Then gets more steep as you go away from Upper Kananaskis Lake towards Rawson Lake. Used crampons on the steeper part and they were so helpful. Highly recommended. A little snow and ice which gradually got deeper towards Rawson Lake. I would rate the trail from the parking lot to Rawson as easy but I would rate the trail from Rawson Lake to Sarrail Ridge as hard. It's very steep. I wouldn't attempt it without crampons but there were lots of younger people doing it in runners. To me that's too dangerous. The snow at the top was about knee deep but the views of both Upper and Lower Kananaskis Lakes was gorgeous.
Btw there is a potty at Rawson Lake but make sure to bring your own toilet paper.

Amazing hike today to the top of Sarrail Ridge! Crampons came in handy about 30 min into the hike as there was snow and was a little icy in a few spots. There were a few people that made it to the top in just running shoes however! Absolutely worth the trek up, don't let the steep middle section of the climb turn you around as that's the hardest part. The view at the top is one of the best I've seen so far @ 7730 feet! Going down took about 45 min and was not as bad as we thought. Again, crampons for the win. The whole hike took us 5 hours. Words can't explain the feeling at the top. Definitely worth it.

Amazing trail! There is quite a bit of snow though so come prepared:)

Best hike I’ve done so far. I went yesterday (October 5,2017) and the steep trail to sarrail ridge isn’t covered with snow just yet. A must hike and no words can describe how beautiful the view is up top when you get there. Definitely not an easy one not exactly hard either but it’s all worth it. For sure my favourite views of all time.

Anyone knows whether the trail from Rawson Lake to the ridge is still feasible? We went last week when it was snowing quite a bit thus we couldn't make it up. Thanks!

this is my all-time favorite hike and I don't think anything will Top it. just for the simple fact that the end result is astonishing. so from the parking lot it's about a 2 km hike to get to the trailhead. easy for sure. passing by a few small streams and a beautiful waterfall. once you get to the trailhead that's when the fun begins. I would rate the hike as moderate to hard for the simple fact of the steepness of the trail. it's 2.7 km to the lake from the trailhead and it is fairly consistent the whole way with a few switchbacks. once you get to the lake, it is astonishing to say the least. The first time I seen it I was speechless. The lake is pristine and mount sarrail is so big and concave shaped like an amplitheatre. makes you feel small and gives you a sense of movement. The trail continues around the lake all the way to the trailhead for sarrail ridge. at the base of the mountain there is snow even in July and is a bit chilly in the shade. Beauty place to have a snack and look up in amazement. if you choose to do sarrail ridge I'd highly recommend poles. this hike is hard in my opinion. no easy way up. it's very steep and there is sections where you really have to be careful due to rocks coming down at you from other hikers. I got hit with one so I know. I'd say it's a thousand feet or so to the top, but honestly the views are out of this world. you can see Rawson Lake and upper and lower kananaskis lakes. The ridge walk is super cool and is hard to put into words what you see. in total it took around 5.5 hours to do the whole thing. hard but for me, the best of the best.