Rawson Lake Trail to Sarrail Ridge

Rawson Lake Trail to Sarrail Ridge is a 10.8 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kananaskis, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

10.8 km
1021 m

beach

bridge out

A bit muddy and waist deep snow up top as of May 19. Beautiful frozen alpine lake this time of year!

Really nice hike, the lake at the top was beautiful with the blue glacier water. Most of the trail has a lot of snow and I’d go in June when it tapers off. Be careful of the ice and snow, especially at the lake where you think you can step somewhere but end up one leg through the snow into the cold water with your foot drenched

We went May Long weekend 2018 and they’re was still quite a bit of snow and some parts of the trail were a little icy, nothing that wasn’t passible though. The waterfall at the start was beautiful and Rawson Lake at the top is stunning. Great to start with the view of upper Kananaskis lake too. We are going to go back when it’s clear this summer to hopefully catch a glimpse of the crazy amounts of flowers people mention! Overall great hike and would definitely do it again!

Amazing views from the ridge, looking down at Rawson Lake on one side and Kananaskis Lake on the other side. The hike to Rawson is quite enjoyable, the hike up to the ridge is challenging but well worth it for the amazing views!

One of the best views I have ever seen! We got a hot and clear day which really helped. The trail from Rawson Lake up Sarrail ridge is HARD! It’s short but straight up, loose dirt, and steep! We had good hiking boots and poles which really helped make it easier. Although I saw lots of people in sneakers and they did just fine.

Beware if you’re allergic or afraid of bees! The trail after the lake is uphill through tons of wildflowers, and even more bees and bugs. I have no idea how I’ve done this hike so many times and not been stung! Try to be respectful and don’t stomp on any of the flowers or wander off the trail.

Breathtaking, rewarding hike with a wide variety views throughout. The first part up to Rawson Lake is moderate, but gives you a few waterfalls and glimpses of Kananaskis Lake along the way, so not as boring as treed sections usually get. I I’ve everything from Rawson Lake onwards an A+. Once you reach the lake, you will see Sarrail Ridge off to your right, but you’ll follow the trail to your left all the way around the lake. Once you start to ascend Sarrail Ridge, it gets steep and difficult. In the summer crampons were not requisite. Hitting the top views over the other side of Sarrail Ridge overlooking the lakes ranks among the best views I’ve ever seen on a day hike. It can get a bit busy with hikers at the top, but still well worth your time and energy to check this one out.

The girlfriend and I snowshoed this trail and found it to be very enjoyable. The trail up until Rawson Lake was heavily packed and easy to follow. However at the lake the trail disappeared completely and it looked like everyone hit the lake and turned back. We tried to continue on but, with so much snow fall, breaking fresh trail became tiring after another kilometer so we settled for reaching the far side of the lake, had lunch, and trekked back out. Good trail, only saw one other couple. We plan on going in the summer.

Beautiful!!! But quite hard considering I’m out of shape & it’s up up up the whole way to the lake!!!! Worth it though!!!!

I did this on Remembrance day. It was beautiful. The snow was up to the thigh at some point. On the way back, I could hear the avi sounds. So, just be careful out there.

Beautiful scenery. Lots of variety. Definitely need the right gear at this time of year with all the snow. Stay left of the rocky gully on the way down. It’s a bit sketchy with the snow and ice. Take the adjacent avalanche gully. Much easier and faster decent.

This was a great hike and the views from the ridge were 110% worth every step! It does get steep going up from Rawson Lake to Sarrail Ridge and the trail got muddy and slippery on the way down, but between the parking lot and Rawson Lake was fine.

Did this one Oct 15, 2017. Well established trail, first part along Upper Kananaskis Lake is a gradual incline. Then gets more steep as you go away from Upper Kananaskis Lake towards Rawson Lake. Used crampons on the steeper part and they were so helpful. Highly recommended. A little snow and ice which gradually got deeper towards Rawson Lake. I would rate the trail from the parking lot to Rawson as easy but I would rate the trail from Rawson Lake to Sarrail Ridge as hard. It's very steep. I wouldn't attempt it without crampons but there were lots of younger people doing it in runners. To me that's too dangerous. The snow at the top was about knee deep but the views of both Upper and Lower Kananaskis Lakes was gorgeous.
Btw there is a potty at Rawson Lake but make sure to bring your own toilet paper.

Amazing hike today to the top of Sarrail Ridge! Crampons came in handy about 30 min into the hike as there was snow and was a little icy in a few spots. There were a few people that made it to the top in just running shoes however! Absolutely worth the trek up, don't let the steep middle section of the climb turn you around as that's the hardest part. The view at the top is one of the best I've seen so far @ 7730 feet! Going down took about 45 min and was not as bad as we thought. Again, crampons for the win. The whole hike took us 5 hours. Words can't explain the feeling at the top. Definitely worth it.

Amazing trail! There is quite a bit of snow though so come prepared:)

Best hike I’ve done so far. I went yesterday (October 5,2017) and the steep trail to sarrail ridge isn’t covered with snow just yet. A must hike and no words can describe how beautiful the view is up top when you get there. Definitely not an easy one not exactly hard either but it’s all worth it. For sure my favourite views of all time.

Anyone knows whether the trail from Rawson Lake to the ridge is still feasible? We went last week when it was snowing quite a bit thus we couldn't make it up. Thanks!

this is my all-time favorite hike and I don't think anything will Top it. just for the simple fact that the end result is astonishing. so from the parking lot it's about a 2 km hike to get to the trailhead. easy for sure. passing by a few small streams and a beautiful waterfall. once you get to the trailhead that's when the fun begins. I would rate the hike as moderate to hard for the simple fact of the steepness of the trail. it's 2.7 km to the lake from the trailhead and it is fairly consistent the whole way with a few switchbacks. once you get to the lake, it is astonishing to say the least. The first time I seen it I was speechless. The lake is pristine and mount sarrail is so big and concave shaped like an amplitheatre. makes you feel small and gives you a sense of movement. The trail continues around the lake all the way to the trailhead for sarrail ridge. at the base of the mountain there is snow even in July and is a bit chilly in the shade. Beauty place to have a snack and look up in amazement. if you choose to do sarrail ridge I'd highly recommend poles. this hike is hard in my opinion. no easy way up. it's very steep and there is sections where you really have to be careful due to rocks coming down at you from other hikers. I got hit with one so I know. I'd say it's a thousand feet or so to the top, but honestly the views are out of this world. you can see Rawson Lake and upper and lower kananaskis lakes. The ridge walk is super cool and is hard to put into words what you see. in total it took around 5.5 hours to do the whole thing. hard but for me, the best of the best.

Amazing ! One of my favorites

Beautiful this time of year! Great hike and dog friendly

Very satisfying hike. A steep grunt for the first half but great view once at the lake. Dog friendly and easily accessible. Would be a good challenge for a beginner hiker but is more on the easy side for an experienced hiker.

For sure going back and tackling Sarrail Ridge, but will make sure I have poles and proper shoes, as my ankles were wobbly on the way down from Rawson Lake in just runners.

Short and sweet hike up to the stunning Rawson Lake. Those up for a challenge should continue on up to Sarrail Ridge, a fantastic lookout point on the saddle that let's you soak up the views of Upper and Lower Kananaskis Lakes (as well as Hidden Lake). Highly recommend boots and poles for Sarrail Ridge - steep grade and particularly challenging when conditions are tinder dry.

Apparently, the trail to Rawson Lake is also great for snowshoeing!

The hike to Rawson Lake is short and relatively easy. Beautiful Lake. The hike/scramble up to the ridge requires a little more work, and i cannot stress good boots and poles enough. The reward at the top is remarkable

Awesome hike, all kinds of people out, nice views along the way, but the top is worth the trek!

Such an awesome place!

Did this hike solo, pretty popular so there was no issues. A little tough in the beginning, will definitely get your heart going and then eventually eases up. Amazing lake, a little smokey today. Would like to do it again on a clear day.

Short and sweet!! If you need more of a challenge and a view head up to Sarrail Ridge.

Beautiful views, go to Sarail Ridge after you hit Rawson Lake. Totally worth it! Was pretty smokey today so hard to see the whole view.

We completed Rawson Lake last year and came back to tackle Sarail Ridge.

It was insanely busy, even the amount of people going to the ridge was larger than anticipated.

The climb to the ridge was a bit of a scramble, the rocks underfoot were loose and there were quite a few people who slipped and fell. There were many people in basic running shoes but I would suggest ankle supporting hiking boots. I think the guys to twisted his ankle (in running shoes) coming down would agree.

The view from the top was worth it and I would do it again next summer!