Ptarmigan Cirque

Ptarmigan Cirque is a 4.3 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Kananaskis, Alberta, Canada that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

4.3 km
355 m

This is a beautiful hike with such little effort required for stunning views. The short distance and incredible views make a great quick hike good for young children. You will likely see lots of wildlife (squirrels, chipmunks, big horn sheep) with nice small waterfalls and great scenery. This is a fragile alpine area and people should respect that and stay on the trail. It is also advisable to carry bear spray.

An AMAZING HIKE! This is a must do for anyone in the area. I may be a little biased as my family would go out and do this hike almost annually when I was growing up. It's really good for kids as it's a moderate hike to start off the season. It is moderate for the first third of the hike, but once you pass the first viewpoint (of many) the trail becomes much less steep. Once you reach the top, views of the entire valley greet you! There are a lot of rocks at the top and it can be really cold due to wind, so make sure you are prepared for the weather! Also bears frequent the area so make sure to keep bear spray on you and ready to use.

Amazing views! Definitely would not consider this to be easy being that my fit bit said I just walked up nearly 80 flights of stairs. Trail was slippery and muddy so I would suggest hiking this trail in July.

Fantastic walk with awesome views from the top.
We came across big sheep, ptarmigan, wolverines and a marmot. Can get busy in the middle of summer, I recommend going early in the season as all the meadow flowers are out.

Nothing special when hiking the switchbacks in the tree line, but absolutely amazing views and scenery once you reach the cirque. Great hike for families, just be sure to check bear activity in the area prior to starting the hike.

nice scenery and outstanding view at the top

We didnt get to do the entire loop because it was getting too windy and the snow was knee deep, but it was still amazing! we will definitely be doing this again! Cleats would be helpful. It was getting a little too slippery in the forest area.

Ptarmigan Cirque is probably my favorite hike in the area just because of the stunning glacial Cirque that it leads up to. The views from the top are phenomenal and the trail isn’t all that challenging.

We did this hike September 17/2017.
Beautiful hike and little effort required for stunning views.The only downside to this trail was the unsupervised children and off leash dogs. This is a fragile alpine area and people should respect that and stay on the trail.Most hikers we observed were not carrying Bear spray.This trail is currently under a bear closure.Carry bear spray.....
You are in Bear county.
Look what happened to Bear 148.

Stunning hike! Very family and dog friendly. We hiked it today and wish we had brought crampons as it was quite slippery in the treed parts of the trail but we made it without and couldn't believe the gorgeous views we found at the top for such minimal effort! We had our 13 month old daughter in her hiking carrier and our small dog with us. Took about 2 - 2.5 hours. Mostly slowed down by ice and slush and breathtaking views :) lots of young kids on the trail, all seemed to be really enjoying it. A great hike!

Great little hike with gorgeous views. Fall is starting to arrive so there was plenty of colour!

Trail and scenery was stunning but should of packed spikes. Snow on the ground = packed slippery trail especially on the way down.

Love this trail. I can see why it's so busy.

Great for fun with the kids.

Steady incline to the top which was a bit more challenging that I had expected but is doable when stopping and taking a few breaks. The views at the top are beautiful and well worth it in the end. In total it took us about 2 hrs start to finish.

lovely easy hike

Fairly steep switchbacks through the treeline, but then it levels out.

Easy, dog friendly & a beautiful view!

One of the most beautiful hikes I've done in Alberta. The first km is tough work, uphill, but after that it's a breeze and you get to relax and enjoy the scenery.

Fantastic hike with my 5 and 7 year olds. Lots of fossils and interesting views. Bring good shoes and a walking stick if you can.

Extremely easy hike, yes it is steep for the first km but it's very doable. I would take anyone on this hike, especially people out of town. A hike that really showcases everything out here, including a chance to see a lot of wildlife. Going to do this one again in the fall when the trees are changing.

Fairly easy hike, get there early to avoid crowds.
Lots of wildlife (squirrels, chipmunks, big horn sheep) with nice small waterfalls and great scenery.

Short and sweet! Gorgeous view and wild flowers. The initial climb can be a little challenging. It was really windy especially at the top. Recommend a sweater or jacket as it can be cold with the wind. Can be finished in 2 hours.

Went on a thursday early morning so wasn't very busy. Incline for the first half of the loop but amazing views. Saw some sheep up by the cirque.

I would say it was a busy trail with lots of kids. I would also call the steeper trail with switchbacks moderate. I brought my dog and he found it awkward in a couple of spots mainly due to his size, passing on the trail with a Great Dane was difficult at times due to size and allowable space on the trail

Beautiful scenery but a little too busy. Too many kids throwing rocks and yelling.

Beautiful! So different!!

This was a beautiful hike!!! Scenic all the way around. I however wouldn't rate it as easy the first half has a lot of incline. I was out of breath quite a bit...for avid hikers it could be easy. :) paths are nice and defined I recommend taking poles for the descent down especially if you have sensitive knees.
I definitely will do this again...a Favourite now!

An easy hike to take along the kids and pets who like long walks. The only disadvantage is that it gets crowded - so get there early!

Pretty easy hike with some lovely views. Beautiful wildflowers throughout the hike and lots of Ground Squirrels and Pika's to be heard and seen. Great for the dogs as there is running water.

Great hike. Above tree line pretty quick. Lots of water melting from the snowpack for the old dog. Highly recommended.