Prairie View Trail to Jewell Pass is a 13.8 kilometer heavily trafficked loop trail located near Kananaskis, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

13.8 km
756 m

Nice trail, good views, easy to walk up without any gear, would recommend ice trekkers if the weather gets worse.

Hiked October 20, 2018, the temperature was great, but a bit windy. The views at the top were spectacular. We were supposed to continue on to the Jewel Pass but the path going up was full of snow and slippery so for safety reasons we opted not to, we took the same route going down, we aren’t seasoned hikers by the way. It was a good hike. I highly recommend it.

Hiked Oct. 20 beautiful views from the top and a fun challenge in the snow for the second half of the hike.

I have done this twice and I always start by walking the 7km around barrier lake up Prairie view trail and down jewels. It’s such an amazing view on a clear sky and I have hiked it once in the summer once in the winter. FYI it can get super busy on a weekend.

Me and my girlfriend have just come from the UK to travel across Canada, we don't get to go out hiking anywhere as nice as this! We were probably underprepared for the snow, with some simple hiking boots, we went counter clockwise around the route, going up with the snow was fine! some nice person seemed to have cut a small trail up that we could follow without getting lost!... we thought we got to the top at the first clearing... we realised we had to scramble up a steep icy slope to get to the REAL look out, which we did! without equipment but with strong will! going down was fun! should of brought a sled though!, the snow got deeper until we hit the cross road for jewel pass, the track disappeared at this point and we followed footprints, the snow here.. was VERY deep for us, but there was no way we were turning back! fell over many times but nothing serious :) had the best time! view was beautiful, came across lots of happy people! (with equipment)
maybe stick to the first clearing at the top if you have no gear, but if you want to wade in snow! go ahead do it all! we don't regret it!

Sept.9/18 completed with a group of three. The hike took us 3 hours with a 20 min stop at the top. 360 degree views at the top of mountain ranges and barrier lake on one side and prairies on the other. This hike is suitable for all ages - we passed people ranging from 5-70 year old, and lots of friendly pups! The trail is wide the whole way except the last 30 metres. Fantastic hike!

Very well marked and comfortably wide trail. My family of 5 did the counter-clockwise loop in 5 hours with a few stops along the way. Very scenic and well worth getting to the very top (small scramble). Watch young children and pets at the top as there are many precarious spots where one could fall off a cliff. Bring lots of water - there's one spot on the way along the Jewel Pass Trail to collect.

Great hike! Steady, well marked trail.
We did it counterclockwise, nice tree views on the way up.
Not hard at all!

This was a nice hike and a good loop. The lower part along the powerlines is no fun, but easy and quick. Counterclockwise gives you a nice steady uphill through tress.

A note here - two backpackers had their cars broken into over night. What a bummer to come back from a camping trip to have your window busted.

Hiked counter clockwise like a lot of reviews recommend, I don’t think it would have been much more difficult going clockwise.
We went all the way to the lookout, the fire watch lady greeted us and was so friendly. She told us about where some lightning had hit recently which was interesting. The view from the top over the lake was really nice but the hiking there and back isn’t very exciting, just through the trees. We recorded 16km loop including the lookout, 3h 44.
#HikingWithHarri

Great moderate trail! Beautiful view at the top, and beautiful varied forest on the way down. It's a long way going down. Make sure to take into account going from the parking lot to the trail which is extra kms. Overall it was pretty good.

Did this hike as my first solo hike, and loved it! Definitely start this hike counter clock wise, it’s much nicer. Ah the end of the hike I realized why everyone suggests counter clock wise. Solid hike, and definitely suggest it to any beginner and families.

Out of shape, but I didn't let it stop me. went counter clockwise. Difficult first bit to the top than mostly downhill or even after that. love the view.

started yesterday (sat) by 930 and only saw 4 other groups but still smokey views - was nice on the backside in the trees (no smoke)! easy 4 hours with dog. only one real push near the top... open paths. berrys near start / end but no sight/sound/signs of bears.

Great hike. Couple of beautiful view points.
Nice variety of trails but all doable.
Did it with my wife of 41 years in 5 hours.

Did the whole loop today. Definitely counterclockwise is the way to go. Took 4hours to complete it with micro breaks and some picture taking. Bringing the dogs will also be great since there were not a lot of scrambling. There were cyclists in the area but they were pretty good in letting you know when they are passing. Nice hike with a steady elevation. Didn’t even use my poles today so this will be good for families with kids. :)

First time doing this hike today. Definitely need better signage letting users know you have a good km to walk before you even start the actual trail. Did it counterclockwise as a bunch of reviews recommended to do so. Not sure why as going either direction would be challenging. Constant up and down hills. Would like to try this again when it isn't so smokey outside.

WARNING: the distance listed here was different than my GPS reported. If you zoom fairly close you will see 1.7 Km to the highway from the start of the trail - that also means about a Km from the parking lot. We did the loop counter clockwise after parking close to the highway and at 13.5 Km we were just pulling along side the lake - it was 16.5 Km loop according to my GPS

It was absolutely beautiful! Did the trail counter-clockwise. I’m out of shape so I found it difficult but trust me, it’s so worth it to push through! Completed it in 4 hours with a lunch break. The last stretch of ~8kms felt like a drawn out descent, but still pretty.

Often like to do this one. I just do the first stretch (~5km??) from the parking lot counter-clockwise to the top. The first lookout is very nice but if you push just a little farther and do a short scramble the views become immensely better as you stand on the cliff. Trail is wide with very nice switch backs. The incline gets steeper near the top. Bring your dogs, take your bike. It’s popular but not too crowded.

Great Hike, we saw deer,wild chicken. I would not recommend doing this clockwise. It was 8km uphill. Do it counter-clockwise only 5 km uphill. The view is stunning from the top. It took us 5. 1/2 hours.... along barrier lake, jewel pass to prairie view.

Completed the full hike around the mountain. Definitely worth it to get to the top.

For people who get to the top, please pick up after yourself and stop dropping your garbage.

We hiked the loop clockwise (lake path, Jewel Pass then Prairie View), therefore, giving us a nice long warm up. It was surprising busy for a weekday, not an issue if you’re on foot; I’m sure bikers may have found this more cumbersome.

We completed the loop in 3 hours with a 10 minuite rest at the top. We ran down much of Prairie View because it started to ran. It was an easy run down because the trail was wide, even and not very steep with lots of switchbacks.

it's a nice trail

Great hike on the trails. It is a beginner hike with nothing too technical along the way, but a good easy go with enough incline for those hardcore hikers who want a chill trail hike. We went counter clockwise which lands you on a gravel road along the water for about 3 km - I'm not really ever a fan of this (unless I know it's coming) it does kill the buzz of the hike a bit. Overall beautiful hike.

Loved this hike after a couple back to back hikes that didn’t go as planned it was nice to find a clear defined trail and this peak was incredible!! The start and finish are a trek in the woods but well worth for this beautiful lunch spot! We followed the counter clockwise advice much appreciated. By the time we exited the mountain a bear had been seen within the area.

Really fun, about 5-hours route from Prairie View Trail to the summit and down via Jewel Pass. I don’t consider this a beginner trail if you plan to go to the summit which includes a scramble up some slippery rocks and then a fairly steep descent down slippery rocks on the other side. (I’m obviously a beginner, haha)!

This was a beautiful hike. Did the challenging route clockwise instead of counterclockwise, which took three hours and 41 minutes to complete with stopping a couple times. After the lookout you get the trail pretty much to yourself which is a nice perk.

We followed the advice to do the trail counter clockwise and we are so happy we did!!!! We started the trail with our dog at 0630 and finished by 1230. We stopped three times. Once when we reached the first clearing, the second at the look out and the third on our way back by Barrier Lake. We bumped into more mountain bikers than hikers. We question the distance though, as we have done quite a few 10km+ hikes and it felt much longer than 13km. We quite enjoyed this hike.