Prairie View Trail to Jewell Pass

Prairie View Trail to Jewell Pass is a 14.6 kilometer heavily trafficked loop trail located near Kananaskis, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

14.6 km
986 m

I think waling along the lake to Jewel Pass and then to Prairie View trail is a much easier route. While you re up there, it is only about another 3km round trip to get to the summit of Yates mountains, to the fire lookout station. I also only recorded about 600m of elevation gain, not the 900+ reported here. Bring micro-spikes in hiking in the winter or shoulder seasons just in case. Most of this recording was snow covered.

4 stars because you are walking in the woods basically the whole time with not much for views during that time. The Prairie view trail on the front side gets fairly busy. The views at the top are night though.

Hiked it three times now and the woebegone from the top was worth it every time

Fantastic hike, although a bit dull on the equestrian trails and in the sun

Very doable hike. Beautiful view from up top. Jewel pass was absolutely beautiful coming down from the peak.

moderate trail at the beginning with some steep uphill that will slow down even the most in shape hikers. Once at the lookout the view was spectacular, be sure to stay to the left in order to stay on trail. bring lots of water there is no water in the trail.

this was my 2nd mountain hike experience and my first one in the rockies... my phone died where it indicated the end point but we walked back along the lake to our starting point.
i thought the scramble part would be harder but it was great and we had a very informative conversation with the forest ranger at the top. we took jewel pass on the way back which was a beautiful trail

unfortunately we did not experience the spectacular views of the mountains due to smoke from the BC wild fires. I can only imagine what they look like but I did see pictures others had posted and they truly are gorgeous.

Hike up was steady and our legs were burning but nice view from the top. Going down through the pass didn't offer much to see but it was a nice easy walk down through the trees. The final stretch around the lake at the bottom to get back to the parking lot seemed never ending (very little shade on a hot day and the ground was hard) but overall would recommend it!

Great views at the very top by the heli pad