Prairie View Trail to Jewell Pass

Prairie View Trail to Jewell Pass is a 14.6 kilometer heavily trafficked loop trail located near Kananaskis, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

14.6 km
759 m

Great winter trail! - if you don't mind walking through lots of trees: only a few areas open up for a view but it is definitely worth the wait!
Completed December 8 in 3 hours, definitely doable with ice cleats - pretty much solid ice up the switchbacks on the east edge!
Excited to come back in the summer!

A great winter hike. The trail up Prairie View was icy and would’ve been virtually impossible to navigate without ice cleats. The views were stunning and well worth the effort up. The trail down Jewell Pass was more sheltered and covered with packed snow. All said and done we we finished the loop in 4 hours.

Well groomed trail most of the way up. Pretty easy to get up to the first lookout. Gets pretty steep to get up to the cabin at the top of Yates. A lot of snow up there two. Totally worth the grind to get the full panoramic view. One of the best views in the area for sure. Tried to loop around to Razors Edge for a larger loop, but there was too much snow on Razors Edge to get it done in time.

There was no TP in the outhouse at the cabin up top. If anyone is going up there in the near future, please bring a couple rolls. I'm sure everyone would be quite appreciative.

I started from high way 1... you hike in the woods all the time until you reach the top of the view site and its amazing... not a really hard hike... not really easy ether.!

I think waling along the lake to Jewel Pass and then to Prairie View trail is a much easier route. While you re up there, it is only about another 3km round trip to get to the summit of Yates mountains, to the fire lookout station. I also only recorded about 600m of elevation gain, not the 900+ reported here. Bring micro-spikes in hiking in the winter or shoulder seasons just in case. Most of this recording was snow covered.

4 stars because you are walking in the woods basically the whole time with not much for views during that time. The Prairie view trail on the front side gets fairly busy. The views at the top are night though.

Hiked it three times now and the woebegone from the top was worth it every time

Fantastic hike, although a bit dull on the equestrian trails and in the sun

Very doable hike. Beautiful view from up top. Jewel pass was absolutely beautiful coming down from the peak.

moderate trail at the beginning with some steep uphill that will slow down even the most in shape hikers. Once at the lookout the view was spectacular, be sure to stay to the left in order to stay on trail. bring lots of water there is no water in the trail.

this was my 2nd mountain hike experience and my first one in the rockies... my phone died where it indicated the end point but we walked back along the lake to our starting point.
i thought the scramble part would be harder but it was great and we had a very informative conversation with the forest ranger at the top. we took jewel pass on the way back which was a beautiful trail

unfortunately we did not experience the spectacular views of the mountains due to smoke from the BC wild fires. I can only imagine what they look like but I did see pictures others had posted and they truly are gorgeous.

Hike up was steady and our legs were burning but nice view from the top. Going down through the pass didn't offer much to see but it was a nice easy walk down through the trees. The final stretch around the lake at the bottom to get back to the parking lot seemed never ending (very little shade on a hot day and the ground was hard) but overall would recommend it!

Great views at the very top by the heli pad

My sister and I did this hike and it took us 4.5 hours. This is with two breaks at the top. Very beautiful and well worth it.

Great hike! From the perspective of someone who is just starting out with hiking It was doable plus the view was amazing on top! This is my first hike that was more than 1 hour long and I didnt think I can do 5 hours of hiking before but this was very manageable.

busy up the the prairie view peak and a little less busy back around on jewell pass. The falls still had some ice at the end of may.

Nice hike, took about 4 hrs. mid July and the falls were but a trickle but still a great hike!

Last leg of it was a bit of a grind. The first two parts were good!

We hiked this with our 4 and a half month old elkhound pup and he had a great time. Fairly easy with not much to see early on until you start to gain some elevation. Some slightly steeper uphill stretches as you get closer to the top, with a good panoramic view of Barrier Lake and the surrounding peaks when you get there. Took us 4 hours with plenty of water stops and a lunch break.

Nice hike up on the Prairie View side. Didn't get to the fire lookout but was told that the path is a semi visible trail just off the top viewpoint, to the north. The Jewel Pass part felt long by the last few km in the heat but was really nice in the trees and a nice gradual decent, am glad we did the loop in that direction.

Steady hike up to the first peak, and a bit of a scramble up to the second peak. My husband carries our one year old son on his back with poles, and it proved a good workout. We descended down the backside and completes the jewell pass. Just when you think you are unsure whether you took the right trail keep going! You will hit a small clearing and turn left to continue on to the river, waterfall and back to the water. The pass is underwhelming to be honest, but proves to be a good second half workout. Views from the top of Prairie are beautiful!