Prairie Mountain Trail

Prairie Mountain Trail is a 6.4 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bragg Creek, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

6.4 km
666 m

Prairie Mountain is usually harder in the spring due to conditions left over from the winter. The trail gets easier to hike from mid-summer to early fall. The trail will turn into a small creek during an heavy rainstorm and some parts will become slick from the mud. Hiking poles are highly recommended. I have heard of people hiking the trail in the winter. As well, night hikers will enjoy the view from the summit, especially during a full moon.

Quite a good hike! Bit slow with so many littles in tow but we made it.

Great hike. Good cardio workout. Pretty much uphill all the way. Good idea to bring poles. Excellent views at the top. Wouldn’t considerate it hard but maybe moderate.

This was a great hike! My first "hard" rated hike so I can't comment on if it really deems itself as hard but compared to other hikes I have done, it was the hardest because of the steepness in some sections. It was uphill the entire way then downhill after reaching the top! Beautiful views at the top, good path as far as shade and sun goes! I would definitely do again! All ages on the trail and many dogs!

I don't know that I would rate this trail as hard but it would be much easier getting down with poles in some sections. Manageable either way though. Saw all kinds of people on the trail from babies to toddler to pregnant moms to a 70 year old man. Plenty of dogs as well. Nice and close to Elbow Falls as well which was an added bonus for me as I had never been before.

Great morning workout! Up and down in a little over 3 hours with a nice break at the top. Very steep but I found it harder on the return as I had a dog pulling me down. Saw all ages on trail and tons of dogs!

Hiked up with our 2 kidlets (3yr old and 5yr old). Very steep sections but the kids were able to do most of it. Had to carry them for a bit of the hike but the work was worth the reward at the top.

Fun trail, haven’t hiked for a while so I found it a little more difficult than I usually would have. Would not say it’s a hard trail though, definitely moderate. Great views at the look out.

Not hard. Just steep.

Good leg workout. Wife and dog loved it

A great hike and popular hike. We did ours in 2 hours and because this was our first hike of the season, we were out of shape!
It is really steep throughout but doable!
Awesome views at the top

The views at the top were amazing! Made it up with a group of 20 people ranging in age from 4-42. A great hike but quite steep. The trail is mostly dry. No spikes needed. What a beautiful day!

Trail is in great condition as of may 16t 2018. I brought gaitors and crampons cuz i didnt know what to expect and honestly didnt need them at all. Bring poles though, trust me they're a lifesaver

May 14.2018 Great hike. The trail is completely dry, a little to dry in some places so watch your step especially coming down easy to loose footing. if you have hiking poles I definitely recommend them. I took my 5 month border collie with me and she loved it it’s a good trail for dogs not too much exposure. Great view and nice breeze at the top.

This is a hard hike on the back side no switch backs

Trail is in great condition, no muddy sections right now. Very well known and busy hike and I think people (especially families with kids) underestimate how demanding some of the steeper sections are. I would definitely rate this trail as difficult. Took me 1hr 40mins for the uphill with lots of breaks. Views are incredible - well worth it!

I wouldn’t call this hike hard purely because it can be done in roughly 1-1.5 hours. Some steep sections as others have mentioned. Views from the top were great - mountains and some rolling hills as well as the river. Favourite part was after the tree line ends. The climb becomes less steep and the views get nicer with each step. There’s a Canadian flag at the top which was a nice feature.

I liked it but it’s not ‘hard’. It’s moderate . Nice 360 views from the top. Some steep sections but still made the top in one hour . Mostly forest on the way up. Very busy trail on a nice day like today . Good, quick out and back .

My first “hard”’ hike. Was very steep, sketchy at times, poles necessary. Wiped out a couple of times on the muddy parts. View was totally worth it. Took me 1:45 to get to the top taking plenty of breaks.

Kind of confusing getting to the trail head, but basically there are a few different ways up, initially very steep.

First time doing the and it was also my first summit. It’s definitely a tough hike, with some fairly steep sections. There’s some relief in the middle section of the hike with a kilometer and a half being a gradual incline. The views get great about halfway through, and from the top they are incredible!

A few steep sections but a fantastic view from the top. Quick and simple, a good primer for summer or for those looking for a quick jaunt up the hill.

Very fun hike! Views at the top and along the way are incredible. Highly recommended. Trail was mostly dry May 6, 2018.

Very beautiful hike! defintley on the harder side but so worth it! The views on the top were amazing. Bring some food and take a rest at the top.

Great hike at any time of the year. Poles recommended. Back way down prairie creek is very snowy in spring so be prepared. Steep for first 2/3 but last 1/3 is gradual and beautiful with a 360 degree view of the prairies and the elbow valley. Also an amazing view of Nihahi ridge.

Always a favourite!! Great leg workout to the top! May 2/18 spikes were needed near the top as there was a bit of slushy snow and mud.

Great workout with a good view at the end. We were lucky that there was no wind when we got to the top so we were able to relax and eat our lunch. The grind up was a lot tougher than I expected especially since parts are exposed to the sun. Lots of ice and snow in some areas, a lot of ppl without spikes struggling on the trails. Took us 2 hours to reach the top and 90 min to get down. Good for a day hike but if you are looking for a shorter hike I would do White Buddha

A very good hike to kick off the spring! Was a little sloppy as we were approaching the tree line, but more than manageable. Excellent views of another range.

I love Prairie Mountain. It’s a nice grind so you get a great workout but also has awesome views at the top and can be done year round with spikes. It’s also less than an hour from Calgary so makes for a quick and easy way to get out of the city.

pretty busy today as expected. was reasonably clear but snowing a lot as we came down. People struggled with out spikes, not enough snow to justify snowshoes.

We hiked this in January or February 2018. Be prepared, the trail goes uphill almost the entire time with hardly any switchbacks, and is steep in quite a few spots. Poles and Spikes are highly recommended due to the snow and ice. The views at the top make up for it though, if you look west you may see the Calgary skyline, just be prepared to be blasted by wind.

Amazing views! Crampons and poles are a must as it was pretty icy still.