Prairie Mountain Trail

Prairie Mountain Trail is a 6.4 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Bragg Creek, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

6.4 km
664 m

Prairie Mountain is usually harder in the spring due to conditions left over from the winter. The trail gets easier to hike from mid-summer to early fall. The trail will turn into a small creek during an heavy rainstorm and some parts will become slick from the mud. Hiking poles are highly recommended. I have heard of people hiking the trail in the winter. As well, night hikers will enjoy the view from the summit, especially during a full moon.

Difficult in spring time! Bring proper shoes, with cleats! Great views!

I lost a black Eddie Bauer fleece out of my bag on Saturday October 28th if anyone has seen it!

Make no mistakes this hike is steep and there aren’t a lot of flat spots for relief. I could see it being tougher with snow and ice so be prepared with spikes and poles. Windy at the top but beautiful 360 views. Busy trail after about 11, the trailhead is beside the beaver flats sign on the north side of the road between the elbow falls and powderface parking lots. I will do this again! Would be a great solo hike too!

Trail sucks when its wet.

This one will get your blood flowing but it’s not long and provides a great view.

This is our go to hike because it is closer for us. We hiked this mountain almost every week, really good work out. Very steep & only 6.6km, beautiful once you are on the top.

Amazing view!! But quite a trek to get up. But the view is always worth it !

Did this hike with a few friends. Took us 3.5 hours with stops and lunch break at the top. We got snow and a bit of rain. But making it to the tattered Canada flag in the snow made it feel like a great accomplishment :)
I probably wouldn't take my kids on this hike, they like more waterfalls and lakes not just beautiful views.
But overall a nice quick hike to get some fresh air.

Beautiful view on summit!

As always - a tough grunt to the top. Made it in 86 minutes. The forest fire smoke was very thick and certainly obscured the views. Great conditioning hike.

A favourite after work hike, east access from Calgary, good challenge, spectacular view.