Prairie Mountain Trail

Prairie Mountain Trail is a 6.4 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bragg Creek, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

6.4 km
664 m

Prairie Mountain is usually harder in the spring due to conditions left over from the winter. The trail gets easier to hike from mid-summer to early fall. The trail will turn into a small creek during an heavy rainstorm and some parts will become slick from the mud. Hiking poles are highly recommended. I have heard of people hiking the trail in the winter. As well, night hikers will enjoy the view from the summit, especially during a full moon.

1 hour ago

Beautiful hike but decently hard, especially in the winter!

Always a favourite! Hiked this for sunrise on Jan 9/18 and the trail was nicely packed down & easy to follow in the dark! I had micro spikes and poles, as some sections were icy.

I hiked to this site during summer seasons; the view in the winter is spectacular! Much easier and faster to come down (as the snow always play cushion if one falls). I loved it and first hike for 2018 (Jan 1st).

Wife and I have been up twice, most recently in September 2016. Some snow higher up (should have taken ice grippers). Close to the top the fog completely obscured everything more than a few metres away, let alone the steep drops. I find it to be tough but I’m in my mid sixties and don’t hike enough. I know there is a great view.

Started the hike from further up the road about 150m from the gate, follow the creek bed, which was dry in December. turns into a semi scramble then finished in knee high snow to the summit.
Not another person in sight all the way up, which can't be said for the standard route. Does get steep about 2/3rds of the way up. Good for a quick day trip, took us about 3-1/2 hours, with about 20 mins at the top.
Definately need micro spikes and Gators for the top half of the hike.

Difficult in spring time! Bring proper shoes, with cleats! Great views!

I lost a black Eddie Bauer fleece out of my bag on Saturday October 28th if anyone has seen it!

Make no mistakes this hike is steep and there aren’t a lot of flat spots for relief. I could see it being tougher with snow and ice so be prepared with spikes and poles. Windy at the top but beautiful 360 views. Busy trail after about 11, the trailhead is beside the beaver flats sign on the north side of the road between the elbow falls and powderface parking lots. I will do this again! Would be a great solo hike too!

Trail sucks when its wet.

This one will get your blood flowing but it’s not long and provides a great view.

This is our go to hike because it is closer for us. We hiked this mountain almost every week, really good work out. Very steep & only 6.6km, beautiful once you are on the top.

Amazing view!! But quite a trek to get up. But the view is always worth it !

Did this hike with a few friends. Took us 3.5 hours with stops and lunch break at the top. We got snow and a bit of rain. But making it to the tattered Canada flag in the snow made it feel like a great accomplishment :)
I probably wouldn't take my kids on this hike, they like more waterfalls and lakes not just beautiful views.
But overall a nice quick hike to get some fresh air.

Beautiful view on summit!

As always - a tough grunt to the top. Made it in 86 minutes. The forest fire smoke was very thick and certainly obscured the views. Great conditioning hike.

A favourite after work hike, east access from Calgary, good challenge, spectacular view.

Some decently steep hiking on the ascent. Use trekking poles, and this isn't that difficult. This was my 3rd hike ever, and I didn't find it "hard" at all. Take the long looping descent down the back of the mountain that eventually joins up with Prairie creek trail.

Super steep but a great season starter to get the body ready for hiking

moderate 3.5 (approximately) km each way.

Two thirds of this hike is dealing with the hill with plenty of sun exposure, so come prepared with hiking poles if your body needs it.

You make it to the top pretty quick all things considered. Park rangers are on the trail, so keep your dogs either on leash or within arms reach. You'll definately need to keep your dogs on leash at the top because it's very busy.

It's an out-and-back on the Alltrails map, but there's a second option to go back down and it starts from the other end of the mountain. It's supposed to be better for your knees.