Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Powderface Ridge Trail

Powderface Ridge Trail is a 13.4 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kananaskis Improvement, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

13.4 km
895 m

Hiked it after a snowfall so a bit of a slog through 6inches of fluffy snow. Still beautiful at the pass.

Always a nice hike but boring through the forest if you're going up to the ridge. We always hike back along the ridge to get the views. There isn't a marked trail on the ridge but you just need to follow the edge. Drop down when you see the cairns. We went Nov 25th, no need for snowshoes but spikes were useful.

We went last summer, underestimated this hike Haha! Took us 7 hours round trip, I’m pretty sure we hiked 2 trails or were just that slow! amazing views at the top but we were very ill prepared! Haha next time we will bring more then one water bottle! Enjoy!

Did a recon Oct 20 on this trail for a group hike on Oct 23. Still quite a bit of snow on upper Trail & on the ridge. Ice grippers helped on the way up but snow was soft on the way down so grippers not needed.

It’s was a nice short hike for me. Not my favourite but closer to home. I could have made it longer and more challenging for myself but the reward at the top wasn’t worth the hike up (for me) I enjoy harder trails. Good for beginners looking for more of a challenge then grassi lakes

Pretty sure this ended up being our hike. We were aiming for White Buddha similar to other reviews we got to this beautiful ridge made our way to what we thought was the loop and got popped out on a gravel road requiring a 22KM drive back to our vehicle. Thankful for friendly, helpful people.

Easy to follow trail. well maintained.

I think we did this trail today? Started at powderface and got to top of mountain where we really weren’t sure where to go, along with a few other groups. There was a map but no one seemed to know where to go. Perhaps we should have just got down the way we came but we ended up going down, which was straight at the very top on the back side. We got lost as there was a fork near the bottom, we ended up on a dirt road for about 2 hours. Luckily there were a lot of cars and ended up getting a ride after a long long walk. We were so far away from our car at the base of powderface. It would’ve been another 2.5 hr or more jaunt down the highway. It was a great hike but I feel like better signage would have really helped. If it wasn’t for the cars passing we would’ve been screwed! We would do this again but maybe go back down the way we came up. If anyone has any input on this please comment!

Very enjoyable hike, not a lot of exposure to the elements as you are sheltered in the forest for most of the hike. Plenty of wild flowers to see, and once you escape the tree line in the final ascent, there are many beautiful views of the valley. The hike starts off fairly steep, but if you can get past the first half or so it levels off and becomes relatively easy. The final climb to the flag requires some foot work as it is mostly loose rock, but it is not difficult. Overall a very enjoyable hike, a good workout but not hard. The trail is pretty busy, keep your head on a swivel for horse dung and mountain bikers.

Relatively easy walk to the flag, I think it goes on for a while longer but I didn’t have time. Also a nice trail for horses if you have!

Super swell views and a great workout. Bit steep in some parts but nothing crazy

Did this on July 6/18. Fairly easy hike with no exposure. Nice views. Lots of options for little side trips to other lookout points.

Fairly steep for 3/4 of the way up. Last 1/4 to ridge/summit not as bad. Took 3 hours round trip from parking to south summit with a 3 year old. Great views.

I would classify this hike as moderate, it’s definitely not hard. The first little bit is kind of a slog. Great views at the top and lots of forest walking and mountain flowers. Easily done in 2 hours

Great hike! Trails are well defined. I wouldn't say it was a hard hike. The uphill in the beginning was moderately strenuous but doable.

Great hike! Very scenic and beautiful views. However, I would not consider this hike as hard. It is a bit steep at the beginning, but nothing any novice hiker couldn't tackle and it can be easily done without hiking poles.

From the bugging to top is uphill only. It was good exercise and too of the Mountain View is beautiful. I will go back there again.

Beautiful views, the last 1/3rd of the trail is a bit anticlimactic though.

Would do this hike again, but it is definitely not hard. I made it up to the flag in well under 2 hours without pushing myself. Great views at the top. most of the hike is in the trees. A slow and consistent steady climb. I found Prairie Mountain much more of a challenge.

Ended up here by accident today after getting lost trying to find Ford Knoll Loop

Friday, November 24, 2017

About the final chance to get up here before the winter gates shut. Higher you get, the deeper the snow, just up to the high point and flag. Looking forward to developing this one in the summer to make a big loop. Completely on our own all day, so feels pretty wild.

Saturday, October 28, 2017

Not very hard at all. A little bit of a grind off the start, but no biggie. Not very technically challenging either. I'm thinking who ever decided this would be rated difficult may have had one leg. Nice views up top. Moose Mountain, Prairie Mountain, Forgetmenot Ridge, Nihahi Ridge are all clearly seen from here. Any of which would have been a better choice. This may be good for trail runners, if that's your thing.

I found that the squirrels were quite loud and seemed to be quite angry. I don't speak squirrel, but I would assume what they were saying was less than polite. My dog understands squirrel contextually at best, and was quite offended. I would recommend going elsewhere for this reason if you have small children or have a sensitivity to vulgarity.

Friday, September 01, 2017

Satisfying hike. Did this trail before I downloaded the app.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Nice day hike, not difficult and not too overcrowded. Was surprised at number of people who bike this trail! Continue on from Prairie Loop to Powderface Ridge for some nice views of the surrounding area in all directions!

Monday, August 07, 2017

Beautiful view

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

Amazing...ups and downs...shaded and open...well-marked trail from the start at the very end of hwy 66. Spectacular, awe-inspiring view west from the ridge summit. 4 hours takes you up and back including a side-trip to the flag and cairn, and a rest break and stroll along the ridge.
Dog-friendly too, as my 7 yr old Shepherd cross will attest to.

Saturday, July 01, 2017

Not a bad hike, good elevation, nice forested areas

Saturday, July 01, 2017

Beautiful blue sky day! Not crowded...took the ridge from the Powderface trail access 7km from Hwy 66. Not Hard...easy hike.

Monday, June 19, 2017

Great hike near calgary! We went in 2 cars so left one on the powderface parking lot and the other 7km ahead where we started the ascent. Great to do it that way as you get 2 peeks and amazing views!

Saturday, October 22, 2016

Nice short hike. I like to go at a good fast pace but the climb had me sucking air a couple of times. There was snow on the top and a good breeze but I had my sandwich and a cup of tea and came back down. The dogs loved it as well.