Powderface Creek and Prairie Creek Trail Loop

Powderface Creek and Prairie Creek Trail Loop is a 11.9 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bragg Creek, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

11.9 km
429 m

We spent 5 hours there for that 13km trail. It was a great hiking with views, shades and creek. Highly recommend! Will come back again.

We went clockwise and had an amazing time. Total time was 3.5 hours. There were some funny moooing cows in 1 of the meadows that my daughter loved. Our 3 kids 9, 11, 12 got a little tired a the end but they also enjoyed it very much. Highly recommended, so many spectacular views throughout the hike.

Love this trail for getting in some km’s. Like others have said the signage is bad. If you go clockwise always make sure you take a right when you get to the sign post where the sign is on the ground.
Lots of places to get some trail running in as well if you are into that. The top is scenic and somehow I always have a beer and some snacks in my pack to enjoy when you get there.

Decent trail but signage was very poor. Turned right at the fork where there was a blank/fallen sign. Thankfully it was the right way to go!

Great!

Nothing special!!

solid trail. it can be busy with foot traffic but the end has spectacular views!

Beautiful scenery and plenty of flat breaks. Gorgeous!

Loved this trail! Path was in good condition (early July 2018). Wide enough for two to walk side by side. Lots of cows by the side of the trail but they ignored us. Cows made me think of ice cream for most of the loop...sure enough the ice cream on the way home was unforgettable! I would recommend Pistachio and Butter Pecan in a waffle cone after this hike, but you won’t need the sprinkles. All in all a memorable day.!

Poor signage for trail. Powderface was a long walk in the trees but Prairie creek was really nice.

Very nice walk.

This is my favorite. It is challenging, but you dont have to be an expert hiker or in great shape for that matter. The scenery is always changing and it is long enough for you to feel accomplished, but not long enough to take up your whole day

Very easy leisurely walk. A great walk to stop and smell the flowers.

Hiked Sunday May 27. 1st of the season and brought my 11 year old. Nice variety of scenery with one vista scene. Moderate hike for the beginner to average hiker who has kids. We started on path from powderface parking lot. In the final meadow before gate\fence we saw an adult black bear 100 yards away at tree line. Not aggressive and I reported sighting. Will definitely do this hike again with family (and bear spray:) Photos on site this site are accurate.

Hiked the trail CC on Sunday. Lots of horse and cow muck on the trail but has the path is wide all avoidable. Still a few wet spots that were either avoidable or that you could leap over.

Most of the hike is in the trees which makes for a nice hike when it's hot but not the most scenic hike. There are some great valley shots giving a great vista and a couple of open meadows which made the hill climbs worth grunting through.

If you're cycling there's one tree that's leaning/fallen that will skim your helmet as you come to the bottom of the hill. Stay right and you should be able to duck it with no problem. Its on a blind corner and below a another short hill so it can sneak up on you if you're going with any type of speed.

A nice chill hike. Prairie creek is the
nicer of the two. I’d suggest doing it counter clockwise.

Lots of animal poop.. was ok otherwise not to hard..

I would rate this trail as "Easy" instead of Moderate. While there are a few sections of elevation gain/loss, the majority of it is relatively flat. I'm sure the open fields the trail crosses are lovely during wild flower season; however, right now it's all cow pies along with horse "droppings" on the Powderface trail. Though lacking in scenic mountain vistas, the trail does provide a good stroll through the woods.

Nice trail, there was a few people doing the trail on a Monday. Snowshoers, cross country skiers, mountain biking and hikers.
There's snow but the trail it's easy to follow. We didn't use snowshoes or cleats, our hiking boots where enough for the this snowy trail.

If you go early there is sometimes ice on the ground making the trail slippery. Depending on the day there is snow but it usually is on the side of the trail

No snow on the ground yet. Really windy at times. Lots of down trees.

Monday, August 07, 2017

Very nice and beautiful hiking trail.

Monday, July 24, 2017

It is still amazing to me that we can hike Kananaskis in the middle of January without snowshoes or heavy clothing. Four of us left Calgary around 1100 and were back by 1700. The temperature was around +2C all day. The trail was kind of difficult. The snow was melting but the footing wasn't great. The whole thing took longer than expected but then we really hadn't planned to do the whole loop. Next time I make sure all the others on the hike had food and water. We want to go back. It would be a decent day hike without the snow.

Friday, July 21, 2017

I went clockwise on the trail, thank god for someone saying to look for a post with no sign otherwise I would have missed it. The post is really prominent, the trail opens up a little into a meadow and then its right in the middle of the path. There is some damaged trail on the prairie creek portion, washed out by the creek but still passable. We saw some moose tracks in the mud on the prairie link trail and the wildflowers were really pretty!

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Pretty good trail it's definitely for strong beginners

Monday, July 17, 2017

Goo hike to view wild flowers and encounter grazing stock. We did the loop in clockwise direction but missed the turnoff from Powderface Creek Trail to Prairie Link, causing up to hike a few extra kilometres. There is a wooden post in the grass but the actual sign is missing. If you look closely you can see the name Prairie Link scratched into the wood.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Good start for an early season hike. Would nice to see some better markings on trails as we ended up a quarter way up "White Buddha", before realizing we were on the wrong trail. Great views of the creek and surrounding terrain from the ridge viewpoint. Unfortunately large amounts of horse **** on trail that our dog loved to eat.... Overall would do again.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

We meant to do Prairie Mountain and ended up on Prairie Creek Trail. I was disappointed but it turned out to be good! I wish these trails were marked better with their names.
Good hike with some steep sections to take your breath away. Oh and we came across some cows which was quite funny.

Thursday, June 08, 2017

I went last week and again today. I really like this loop. Both times we started by following powderface creek and ended up coming down prairie creek. Beautiful wildflowers. The path is drying up nicely and wasn't nearly as muddy today.