Pocaterra Ridge

Pocaterra Ridge is a 20.3 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Exshaw, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

20.3 km
1886 m

snowboarding

Highly recommend going from Highwood Pass to little Highwood, going from the other way around is so much more gruesome. Make sure to bring hiking poles as there some steep sections too.

One of my favourite hikes. Very slippery sections coming down from ridge but sweeping views and larches more than made up for it. Finished in just under 5 hours, little confusion at start as nothing is marked

This hike is not easy at all, but it's worth the trek. We were a group of 4 and did the whole hike from Highwood pass to little highwood in just under 7 hours. Don't bring your dog if you aren't sure how they'll behave on steep ridge parts. The face of the south peak is super muddy and slippery to get down. Bring crampons and a hiking pole!

The views were unbelievable, but I would definitely rate this as difficult!

This is a map for grizzly col and Highwood peak/ridge, which is a moderate to difficult scramble and it's really steep on your way down. We only realized the map is incorrect after we've done the whole loop; awesome view though. If you're looking for pocaterra ridge on this app, look for south pocaterra ridge trail that's the correct one.

This map is shown completely wrong. You should be heading north towards Little Highwood Pass after Pocaterra Cirque. We were lead to the Highwood Ridge route and the hike basically turns into a full on scramble/bouldering on an insane scree slope which we were definitely not expecting. We met another group on the hike that did the exact same thing, so just a warning! Yes the views were epic, and glad I did it, and survived, but definitely would not recommend the Highwood Ridge route to non-experienced hikers.

The trail on this map is not pocaterra ridge, this is highwood ridge; a very hard hike

The hike up is amazing and very scenic but the rating is completely misleading and the ridge is more than difficult and stressful. I'm happy I completed the entire circuit but it was not worth the stress of someone potentially falling. The views are fantastic though. Be very careful doing the ridge as you will be bouldering and holding on to dear life.

So beautiful!
Killer workout, bears often frequent this area
Lots of flowers, water at the bottom, views the entire hike
Ridge hikes are the best

Honestly I feel the trail rating on this hike is very misleading. I've been hiking for 12 years and this completely caught me off guard. It was a full on scramble along the ridge with some pretty sketchy moments. The views are incredible but this hike is a HARD hike, not a MODERATE hike. I ended up abandoning my trek along the top because I didn't determine it safe to do so considering the windy conditions and running out of food and water (3L, sandwiches, beef jerky, fruit and veggies).

I'm quite physically in shape and have done some pretty difficult hikes but this one was completely misleading as to the difficulty.

Have the app open so that you can follow the path on GPS. Easy once you are out of the short tree line part of the hike, but confusing at the bottom. Absolutely stunning hike with beautiful wildflowers and some of the best views I have experienced in the Rockies!

To Pocaterra Ridge and back, rather than the entire ridge walk. We were with our dog and it was perfect as lots of creeks for her to cool off in/drink from. Nice mix of meadows, wildflowers, small creeks, great views, amazing rock faces, and a summit. Only downfall is the somewhat confusing beginning with a lack of signage and lots of path options. We got off the trail once. Views from the summit are stunning! Will definitely return to do the ridge walk leaving a second car at the end.

The trail is not marked properly . It was stressful. The time of the year the snowpack is thawing, snow , slush, and mud . I would not do this trail in early summer and without proper hiking boots , poles ...