Pocaterra Ridge

Pocaterra Ridge is a 10.3 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kananaskis Improvement District, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

10.3 km
727 m

snowboarding

Awesome! Pretty great sights, a decent amount of traffic, the larches in autumn are magnificent.

Our group did this hike on Sept 30th, 2017.
Because there was really a lot of people doing the ridge that day, we decided to leave the trail to follow the valley towards the lake west of the ridge. That part was nice and easy once we passed the scree section.
Going back up to the ridge past the lake was easy.

The official trail is something else though. Conditions can change very fast, on that day it became very windy and we also had quite a bit of snow while we were following the trail back towards the highwood pass parking lot.
Going North to South, the trail has some moderate to difficult sections, depending on weather. Hiking poles are highly recommended, and some previous experience scrambling would help when conditions become slippery.

Very rewarding though, and well worth the effort.

Hard on the knees but loved the view!!

Very rewarding hike, but should not be taken lightly. This hike would be more towards difficult then moderate especially if you start at the little highwood pass day use parking lot..

Go see the larches in late September she said. It will be fun she said.

I quite honestly almost died on this hike on at least 5 separate occasions. If not for the skills I learnt watching The Revenant (filmed in K Country - you're welcome for your next trivia fix) and my trusty Nike running shoes, it would have been even worse.

There was snow everywhere. Everything is a false summit. I'm convinced I saw a mountain lion track right beside where we had lunch. A dog tried to steal my friend's sandwich (she was mad). I passed at least 10 crying women and one pregnant woman on the hike. A guy kept telling us we were "young bulls" and then tried to tell us that disturbing "young bull / old bull" hill story. One guy farted at the top of a summit beside us.

Quite honestly, we wouldn't have gotten through it if it hadn't of been for this new video sweeping the internet of a white 8 year old kid trying to dab, but ending up doing karate. We also had to hitch hike back to our car.

Five out of five would recommend! Can't wait to come back!

Absolutely spectacular hike! My new favorite for sure!

Highly recommend going from Highwood Pass to little Highwood, going from the other way around is so much more gruesome. Make sure to bring hiking poles as there some steep sections too.

One of my favourite hikes. Very slippery sections coming down from ridge but sweeping views and larches more than made up for it. Finished in just under 5 hours, little confusion at start as nothing is marked

This hike is not easy at all, but it's worth the trek. We were a group of 4 and did the whole hike from Highwood pass to little highwood in just under 7 hours. Don't bring your dog if you aren't sure how they'll behave on steep ridge parts. The face of the south peak is super muddy and slippery to get down. Bring crampons and a hiking pole!

The views were unbelievable, but I would definitely rate this as difficult!

This is a map for grizzly col and Highwood peak/ridge, which is a moderate to difficult scramble and it's really steep on your way down. We only realized the map is incorrect after we've done the whole loop; awesome view though. If you're looking for pocaterra ridge on this app, look for south pocaterra ridge trail that's the correct one.

This map is shown completely wrong. You should be heading north towards Little Highwood Pass after Pocaterra Cirque. We were lead to the Highwood Ridge route and the hike basically turns into a full on scramble/bouldering on an insane scree slope which we were definitely not expecting. We met another group on the hike that did the exact same thing, so just a warning! Yes the views were epic, and glad I did it, and survived, but definitely would not recommend the Highwood Ridge route to non-experienced hikers.

The trail on this map is not pocaterra ridge, this is highwood ridge; a very hard hike

The hike up is amazing and very scenic but the rating is completely misleading and the ridge is more than difficult and stressful. I'm happy I completed the entire circuit but it was not worth the stress of someone potentially falling. The views are fantastic though. Be very careful doing the ridge as you will be bouldering and holding on to dear life.

So beautiful!
Killer workout, bears often frequent this area
Lots of flowers, water at the bottom, views the entire hike
Ridge hikes are the best

Honestly I feel the trail rating on this hike is very misleading. I've been hiking for 12 years and this completely caught me off guard. It was a full on scramble along the ridge with some pretty sketchy moments. The views are incredible but this hike is a HARD hike, not a MODERATE hike. I ended up abandoning my trek along the top because I didn't determine it safe to do so considering the windy conditions and running out of food and water (3L, sandwiches, beef jerky, fruit and veggies).

I'm quite physically in shape and have done some pretty difficult hikes but this one was completely misleading as to the difficulty.

Have the app open so that you can follow the path on GPS. Easy once you are out of the short tree line part of the hike, but confusing at the bottom. Absolutely stunning hike with beautiful wildflowers and some of the best views I have experienced in the Rockies!

To Pocaterra Ridge and back, rather than the entire ridge walk. We were with our dog and it was perfect as lots of creeks for her to cool off in/drink from. Nice mix of meadows, wildflowers, small creeks, great views, amazing rock faces, and a summit. Only downfall is the somewhat confusing beginning with a lack of signage and lots of path options. We got off the trail once. Views from the summit are stunning! Will definitely return to do the ridge walk leaving a second car at the end.

The trail is not marked properly . It was stressful. The time of the year the snowpack is thawing, snow , slush, and mud . I would not do this trail in early summer and without proper hiking boots , poles ...

One of my favorite hikes in Kananaskis! A bit of a challenge to get up on the ridge but worth the effort. Pay attention at the end to find the exit to the parking lot, it's not well marked and we definitely missed it.