Plain of the Six Glaciers Trail

Plain of the Six Glaciers Trail is a 13.8 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until August. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

13.8 km
587 m

this was a great first day hike in Banff. did this last Saturday before all the smoke came in and saw a grizzly bear and her two Cubs! we took the trail over to lake Agnes on our way back which was a lot less crowded.

We joined up with this hike after starting at lake Agnes/big beehive. The trail offers some really beautiful views and the teahouse is fun, but the crowds take something away from the experience. I found myself getting a bit frustrated by lines of super slow hikers, especially on the way down. Definitely worth doing the hike - just be prepared to be patient if you're used to a quicker pace and a quiet trail

great hike. Did this may long weekend, so many places had avalanches and it was hard to pass. the last avalanche shoot we couldn't pass it was really steep and we had no equipment to get safely across as it was step, slippery, and scary!

Lake Louise is iconic for a reason and you'll be sharing the path with plenty of people no matter what. Expect this, and you'll enjoy your day all the more. I enjoy this hike in the the shoulder seasons when paths are less busy. Whenever someone visits from out of town, this is usually one of my go-to hikes.

Bring cash so you can stop and enjoy a tea at the tea house at the end.

As with all hikes from the Lake. Arrive early if you want a parking spot.

Would be 5 stars if not for:
* Horses allowed on trail (had to make way)
* Horse manure all over trail (had to dodge)
* significant haze from BC wildfires

A couple recommendations:
* arrive before 715 (weekday) to get parking on site
* start hiking early to avoid crowds and horse tours on the way up (you'll inevitably be inconvenienced on the way down)

What to expect:
* balanced mix of flat path, gentle incline, and moderate incline
* excellent lake Louise views (crowd free views too if starting early)
* excellent views of glaciers
* quick and fun detours to the streams and also to stand in the lake

Would gladly do again, especially when the fires clear.

I can’t give this hike any less than 5 stars because of the views. But, be SURE TO GET THERE EARLY if you are in Banff during tourist season. I was personally shocked at the amount of people. Start at daylight and you won’t be disappointed.

Really amazing hike, one of the best I’ve ever done. The early part around the lake is crowded, but easy and flat. At the midpoint, it climbs pretty continuously, which can be hard, especially at the gravelly areas near the top. I stressed my knee descending, unfortunately, but it was still worth the landscape and view.

When we were there, it as early (7 am) and overcast, which was perfect for hiking weather. There isn’t much shade so if the sun is out it can get hot.

The views are fantastic all along this trail. It’s very busy from the Lake Louise hotel to the end of the lake, then as the trail climbs the numbers drop off. The tea house is a great reward at the top, and there’s an additional hike to a scree scramble above the tea house that’s worth it for fantastic views of the glaciers and the head of the valley. This is a fairly demanding hike unless you’re in shape and experienced.

Beautiful hike, but very strenuous. Huge climb in elevation. I had to take many to stops to rest. The Tea House was wonderful. Could not make it to the end, too tired. A well worth hike

Started out with sunny weather, when making it to the base of the peak it was snowing
and the wind was blowing very hard, the view
of the lake was beautiful . one of the best
hikes ever.

Absolutely stunning trail! Uphill the entire way except for the very beginning by Lake Louise. We took the Lake Agnes trail back which was more uphill but it was worth it seeing Lake Louise from that vantage. There was a lot of horse poop which was annoying but it didn’t take away from the beauty of this trail.

This is a beautiful hike with lots of variety in views and terrain. We started at 8 am and still found most of this hike in the sun so prepare for that and bring PLENTY of water. If you’re unlucky enough like I was to get stuck on the descent behind the horses this leaves you in the sun even longer as you can’t pass them! Lol. I think we shared the trail down for at least a mile....BEAUTIFUL tea house location is not crazy busy either (and yes the chocolate cake is delicious.) We packed our lunches and ate here after hiking to the end and back. (Remember cash). After the tea house the trail to the glacier is more like a moonscape. We heard many, many snow avalanches but never got to see one as they were happening on the other side of the mountain that day. Last mile to the end has a lot of loose rock and some narrow parts. If this makes you nervous turn around at the tea house and you will have accomplished a lovely hike. You can connect to the Big Beehive from this trail too. I would say the hardest part about this hike was the lack of shade. We didn’t pack enough water. We are well into our 50s and hiked it with our adult kids. The 1900 ft elevation gain happens primarily in the last 2.5 miles because it’s flat around the lake for almost 2 miles. Just keep that in mind. A beautiful experience overall. It is a ‘busy’ hike.

We started at Lake Agnes - Beehive then took the Highline trail to Plain of the Six Glaciers. Overall a really enjoyable hike and cool to get to see (and hear) glaciers closer up! Take water, sunscreen, and bug repellent! I recommend going earlier as this trail gets very busy as the day goes on.

A pretty rigorous trail, surprising amount of switchbacks with a lot of people all the way up and down, also not much tree coverage, so we got pretty hot the day we were there, went through almost 2 liters of water each. A decent amount of horse poop on the trail as well. Still great views though, just wish it was a little less crowded, started the hike around 10am (had gotten to Lake Louise at 7am though to get prime parking, did the canoes at 8:30am when they opened). Tea house was busy when we got there since it was lunch time, but we hadn't planned to eat there, just packed our lunch. The crowds were a bit overwhelming for us but to be expected for sure, and we would do the hike again!

Well-made trails! I’m so amazed the trails in Canada that were designed to climb mountains of this magnitude on a gentle slope! I started at 9a.m. It took an hour and half to get to the top without a break! There are not much people than I thought. The view is awesome, although I had to be careful with the floating gravels.

Parked about 2km away from lake louise but trail was great. Fairly busy but not too busy. Nice views of glaciers and the lake.

Spectacular views; a nice cup of tea and chocolate cake at the tea house made it super.

parked about 830am at great divide but super busy.. did big beehive first then over to this hike via highline trail. very open on way back so dog got hot so probably should have done this first then down lake agnes... the tea house was nicer than lake agnes as a lot less people...

Do not go there.!! Unless you go early as 6AM otherwise no parking, mess every where, most frustrating part Was disorganized Park Canada employees :( not worth it going there after 10AM

Did this hike and it took about 4-5 hours for completion. One part had a snowy hill with trees and no carved path - definitely made the hike fun to do and not impossible even for beginner hikers. Lots of fun! Bring water!!

Nice hike, awesome views. We came back using Highline trail to Mirror Lake. This extra km worth it! Overall, easy walk but distance (17 km) make it a moderate hike. Boots were too much here, mountain shoes would have been better. Start early, very busy trails.

A really fun, random hike my boyfriend and I went on in 2016. Starts off at the base of Lake Louis and crosses a wooden boardwalk up into the rocky basin of the mountains.

My favourite hike in this area. Amazing views (Lake, Glacier and of course a lot of beautiful Mountains), not very long and definitely worthwhile. If you have more time it’s a nice round trip to go back via Lake Agnes and the Beehives.

Awesome hike but make sure you get the PB&J sandwich at the tea house. The homemade bread is ridiculous and you’ll need the energy.

Did this hike after being rain and hail-stormed out of Lake Louise rock climbing. Cool hike! Gorgeous glacier and lake views. Started at 6:15pm- very few people so worth it (*tea house will be closed this late*). A few short stops and pictures at the lookout, finished in 3.5 hours sans trail running. Long summer days are great! Be aware that hiking/climbing at lake Louise in the summer = lots and lots of tourists, no parking 8am-3pm. Shuttles run every 15m (no matter how long the line) from an overflow lot 7.5 miles away. We waited an hour. Return shuttles stop at 530pm. Weather is often iffy with thunderstorms popping up early afternoon in unpredictable patterns. In my opinion, the tea house, chateau, and ski resort feel more like a fancy European resort than a Canadian Rockies NP. So, for the outdoor purist, consider skipping Lake Louise and heading to nearby parks for your wilderness experience.

Great views. Make sure you stop at the Teahouse, if not for the chocolate cake, then for the experience!

Great hike! Arrive early to avoid the crowds. Make sure to soak your tired feet and legs in Lake Louise. The cold water is the perfect way to recover while eating lunch looking at one of Canada’s most iconic views.

Excellent hike and worth the views. Not all that challenging if you’re in shape. If not it will be a leg burner.

Amazing views!!!