Pickle Jar Lakes

Pickle Jar Lakes is a 10.3 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Kananaskis Improvement District, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

10.3 km
730 m

fly fishing

Not easy but a great moderate hike. Beautiful!

Four beautiful lakes and good fishing. We had a great time relaxing at the lakes.

The trail itself is definitely more of a moderate hike than easy. It's steep and steady climbing as you get closer to the lakes.

I think that the reward at the end of the hike is well worth the effort.

I recommend bug spray. There are quite a few mosquitos and flys due to being near by water.

Overall, it was a really great hike.

Directions to parking and start of trail are good. The trail is well defined and easy to follow.

I'd disagree with the "easy" rating on this hike. The majority of it is uphill and there is a decent stretch of a steep slope that is challenging. Moderate would be more appropriate as it is often difficult but not dangerous.

There was a fair amount of smoke in the air today so the views were hazy and looked fake but still incredible.

Beautiful hike. Is rated as easy although I would say moderate due to some quite steep spots and poles would definitely be an asset in those areas.

Absolutely beautiful lakes at the end of the trail. It was a cooler day today (18ºC) and at the lakes themselves, it was considerably cooler. The fish were plentiful and you could see them coming to the surface of the water constantly. There was a lot of activity in the water!

This hike is listed as "easy" and I would very much argue that it is at least a slight "moderate" hike. There are many steep sections and nearly the entire way to the lakes is uphill. In turn, this means that the whole way back is downhill :)

It also listed as family friendly, which I suppose it technically is. However, my son (currently 8) and daughter (currently 5) did struggle with this hike. It would be family friendly with older children who are used to hiking. Even children who are older and are unused to hiking would find this challenging.

That being said, I absolutely recommend that if you'd like to try that you give this trail a go. It's well laid out, clean, well maintained and we did not see a whole lot of wildlife, other than fish.

Great first hike of the year, lots of horseflies. The fishing was really good.

Awesome hike, pretty tough since I'm out of shape and it's a lot of uphill, but the views are worth it. Lots of bugs so remember bug spray!!

awesome hike all the way threw. Im a heavy set dude and got got threw it in 3 and a half hours. the lake at the end is relaxing and nice to have lunch at. there was alot of flys.

Really wonderful hike. Trailhead is 100 metres north of the Lantern Creek rest area then east into the bush. It's 60km from Longview Alberta (which is 60km from Calgary), and very close to the height of Highwood Pass.

The rating shows as Easy, but it should really be a 'Moderate'. Elevation gain, long steep climbs, and a goat path winding through boulders and across a high shale slide make it anything but easy, testing the limits of my mild fear of heights.

Highly recommended. Really gorgeous and worth the climb.

mostly all up hill hard on the knees and so many flys!! We only made it 3/4 of they way. Nice views and lots of wildflowers though. When I am in better shape I will re visit. LOL

Awesome trail. I enjoyed the variety of the trail from woods to following the creek, to meadows, to rocky passes and the reward of the lakes. Lots of horseflies. Bring spray!

Great hike, beautiful lakes but it's a bit of a grind to get to them. There's a push in the beginning and then one right at the end which is fully exposed so hard to do in hot weather and full sun.
The lakes are awesome. The horseflies are massive. Lots of bugs bring lots of spray. Make sure you go past the first lake to see the 2nd and 3rd. I loved the second lake. I think it took me 5.5 hours total. I spent hour and half at the lakes. It's a moderately difficult hike. Take your time. Enjoy. #hikealberta

Fantastic hike! Lots of flies and mosquitoes as well as bad horseflies! Very few people on trail.