Pickle Jar Lakes

Pickle Jar Lakes is a 10.1 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Eden Valley, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

10.1 km
645 m

Good moderate hike, we started early and no one was on the trail. As we descended from the lakes the trail became a bit more busy. Round trip 4 1/2 hrs.

great place

The first 3k are a grind if you are not use to elevation gain. Good little day hike. I have done other hikes with much more rewarding views but the fishing at the lakes was worth it. Came out to 10.64k round trip to the first lake.

Beautiful hike.

We loved this hike! Gorgeous views. A little steep and rocky at the top. I would not rate this as a easy hike but totally worth the effort. Lots of anglers when we went.

Nice moderate hike featuring mostly lateral traverses with only one steep uphill pitch. Very scenic and worth the effort.

Not easy but a great moderate hike. Beautiful!

Four beautiful lakes and good fishing. We had a great time relaxing at the lakes.

The trail itself is definitely more of a moderate hike than easy. It's steep and steady climbing as you get closer to the lakes.

I think that the reward at the end of the hike is well worth the effort.

I recommend bug spray. There are quite a few mosquitos and flys due to being near by water.

Overall, it was a really great hike.

Directions to parking and start of trail are good. The trail is well defined and easy to follow.

I'd disagree with the "easy" rating on this hike. The majority of it is uphill and there is a decent stretch of a steep slope that is challenging. Moderate would be more appropriate as it is often difficult but not dangerous.

There was a fair amount of smoke in the air today so the views were hazy and looked fake but still incredible.

Beautiful hike. Is rated as easy although I would say moderate due to some quite steep spots and poles would definitely be an asset in those areas.

Absolutely beautiful lakes at the end of the trail. It was a cooler day today (18ºC) and at the lakes themselves, it was considerably cooler. The fish were plentiful and you could see them coming to the surface of the water constantly. There was a lot of activity in the water!

This hike is listed as "easy" and I would very much argue that it is at least a slight "moderate" hike. There are many steep sections and nearly the entire way to the lakes is uphill. In turn, this means that the whole way back is downhill :)

It also listed as family friendly, which I suppose it technically is. However, my son (currently 8) and daughter (currently 5) did struggle with this hike. It would be family friendly with older children who are used to hiking. Even children who are older and are unused to hiking would find this challenging.

That being said, I absolutely recommend that if you'd like to try that you give this trail a go. It's well laid out, clean, well maintained and we did not see a whole lot of wildlife, other than fish.

Great first hike of the year, lots of horseflies. The fishing was really good.

Awesome hike, pretty tough since I'm out of shape and it's a lot of uphill, but the views are worth it. Lots of bugs so remember bug spray!!

awesome hike all the way threw. Im a heavy set dude and got got threw it in 3 and a half hours. the lake at the end is relaxing and nice to have lunch at. there was alot of flys.

Really wonderful hike. Trailhead is 100 metres north of the Lantern Creek rest area then east into the bush. It's 60km from Longview Alberta (which is 60km from Calgary), and very close to the height of Highwood Pass.

The rating shows as Easy, but it should really be a 'Moderate'. Elevation gain, long steep climbs, and a goat path winding through boulders and across a high shale slide make it anything but easy, testing the limits of my mild fear of heights.

Highly recommended. Really gorgeous and worth the climb.

mostly all up hill hard on the knees and so many flys!! We only made it 3/4 of they way. Nice views and lots of wildflowers though. When I am in better shape I will re visit. LOL

Awesome trail. I enjoyed the variety of the trail from woods to following the creek, to meadows, to rocky passes and the reward of the lakes. Lots of horseflies. Bring spray!

Great hike, beautiful lakes but it's a bit of a grind to get to them. There's a push in the beginning and then one right at the end which is fully exposed so hard to do in hot weather and full sun.
The lakes are awesome. The horseflies are massive. Lots of bugs bring lots of spray. Make sure you go past the first lake to see the 2nd and 3rd. I loved the second lake. I think it took me 5.5 hours total. I spent hour and half at the lakes. It's a moderately difficult hike. Take your time. Enjoy. #hikealberta

Fantastic hike! Lots of flies and mosquitoes as well as bad horseflies! Very few people on trail.

Amazing views all around, hiked the ridgeline, not for the faint hearted. Difficult descent from the top down to the lakes, don't go down towards the lakes, go back down the ridge.

Great trail! Fantastic scenery. The trail is in good condition and easily hiked. It's pretty steep descending out so proper footwear and or poles should be considered.

One of the best
Do mid /week avoid weekends

A beautiful trail. A nice steep ascent 3/4 through that gets the heart rate up! A longer hike but it was rewarding. At the lakes, when we went, it was windy and cold. Felt great and throughout the entire hike there are beautiful viewpoints.

love this Hike on a hot summer day!

Saturday, May 20, 2017

it says highway 40 is closed. how did you get into this area two weeks ago??

Friday, February 24, 2017

Beautiful scenery , light traffic, great for dogs to !

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Did this one as a scout in scouts Canada. It was fun and challenging

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Amazing hike! Beautiful views the whole way!! Park in the Lantern Creek lot and then cross the highway and walk north about a quarter of a km to the trailhead. Poles were useful on this hike as it was slippery in parts. Dress in layers as weather ranged from needing a jacket, toque, and mittens - to short sleeves. There was lots of snow but we were warm and happy. This has been one of my favorite hikes so far. The description above said this hike is only acceptable until September but we went the last weekend in October and it was totally fine. We only saw about 6 other people the entire hike though. It also says it's rated as easy, which I disagree with. I'd say it's probably moderate in the summer, and it was hard in the snow. Bring bells and spray, as apparently this area is prime for bears (there was a serous grizzly attack there in 2014); though we didn't see any trace of bears (phew). It's a lot of climbing (FitBit says 177 flight of stairs); great for dogs but small kids would struggle. Highly recommend this hike.

Saturday, October 29, 2016

June 19/16 - Great hike and the lakes were beautiful! The third lake was absolutely stunning.