Paradise Valley to Fairview Mountain Trail

Paradise Valley to Fairview Mountain Trail is a 9.2 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

9.2 km
1,012 m

rock climbing

Did it Oct23. From the top of Paradise Valley entrance, the path for the top is not hard to miss (missed it so I made another hour in the wood on wrong side od the mountain...). The view is magnificent, the at the time I did it, the last 200m of hike was in 100% snow/ice. Cleats were a must have. I met people without and they didn't make it to the top, too dangerous. I found it technical.

Do it in early or late summer. There is a bit of a false peak at the top but don’t be discouraged, keep going the view is worth it.

This is a good steady climb up. Made it to the Saddleback ridge before we turned back, snow was getting too deep for my footwear. Unfortunately with the clouds the views were obscured. Would definitely love to do this one on a clear day. Bit slippery on the way down due to the slushy snow.

Need a challenge, bam, here you go! As a intermediate to advance hiker from Chicago/New Hampshire, this mountain was a doozy! You are climbing straight up on nice incline for the better part of 1.5 hours. Once you arrive at the Saddleback, it is a perfect spot to take a lunch break and prepare yourself for snow and some intense cliffs that lay ahead. The next part, that section where all the rocks/snow keep going up, yup, you are going there buddy! If you are afraid of heights, this is the part where you would turn back, if not, onward you go! I had to stop about 100 feet before the summit due to altitude sickness (it happens to some people above 8k feet and I was just shy of 9k) and noticed my breath becoming shallow, dizziness, so I told the others to go without me and they got to the summit about 15 mins later (I could see them from the top). No matter what, it was a great hike, and I hope to do it again one day! We spent around 6 hours doing the hike from the parking lot start to Lake Louise finish and def took our time and taking photos and resting. Take plenty of water, food, and hiking poles. Good luck!

One of my all-time favourite hikes in the Rockies! So breathtakingly beautiful at the top.

Love this hike. Takes you through multiple elevations of the valley. The last little scramble has been completed by many age groups, just take your time.

Superb hike rewarded with magnificent views of the Bow Valley and the glaciers above Lake Louise. Duration of about 5 hours and rather difficult.

Smoke sucks! My friend and I completed this hike in 2 hours 45 min (moving time). Smoke burned the lungs a lot on the way up, and at the peak the smoke was nearly opaque. It was good exercise though and a fun hike despite the disappointing lack of views. From what we could see, we could tell the views would be stunning without the forest fires. Do this hike when it clears up!

If you’re looking for an easy stroll, this isn’t it. If you want to challenge yourself the reward at the summit is well worth it. 360 degree view from the top.
The last third of the climb is quite steep and a bit technical at spots. Some loose gravel/sand here and there and a bit of exposure.
We were worried about coming down but the descent was easier than expected. Plan 4-5 hours if you’re moderately fit but not rushing it.

Awesome climb and unbelievable views! Get off you butt and climb it!

Great hike.

The first part is very easy like an hour in. Not that steep at all as say (Ha Ling). However when you get to an intersection that's when the real hike starts.

90% of the effort is made in the last 10% of the hike. It does get very steep and takes about an hour up. Everytime you climb up and think you're at the top there's another summit. Don't give though, really good, and highly worth the views at the top. Make sure to bring enough water.

Awesome hike!

Amazing hike! The hike through the woods is beautiful, with many flowers and marmots, the ascent offers some great views on the valley. The final ascent is very hard because of the elevation but the view is definitely worth it. Absolutely recommend!

Good mountain for someone who want to be far from the crowd of lake louise. Challenging for the last 25 minutes at the end.

Trail is dry and in good condition. Very nice view at top. It took us 5.5 hours to finish it. Just watch your steps close to mountain top, nothing difficult for the rest of the hike.

It was super cloudy when I summited it’s not hard and there was no people ( probably due to weather - it has rained in the area a lot )
it was wonderful
Do it if your in the area

It was a great hike!

Bear spray is recommended. Minimum group of 4 requirement was not in effect.

There was a small trickle of rain through the forest area, once in the rocky area past the trees there was some snow/hail that did not accumulate. It was windy as well so recommend a jacket and some layering.

The top seemed foggy on the way up;however, it does clear up from time to time so the hike was still worth it.

Shoes with good traction is highly recommended and hiking poles are a plus.

Takes some effort up. But well worth it. 360 degrees of awesome views.

Loved it. Panicked the wife in parts but overall extremely rewarding.

Wonderfull view at the top! My first trail around Lake Louise but definitely a great choice!

What a spectacular view from the top. It’s longer than 9.2 though. It’s more like 10.7 km round trip. This makes a difference when you think you have only 1 km of steep switchbacks to the top, and it turns out to be 2 km of switchbacks.

If you are looking for a challenging hike with amazing views, this one is it. I hiked this on Thursday and the trail was pretty snow covered right before you get to the summit. I strongly suggest bringing gaiters or you will most likely end up with a decent amount of snow in your boots.

One of the most gorgeous hikes in this area, along with Lake Agnes - Tea House Hike.

Sunday, April 15, 2018

Absolutely worth it, one of the best around. A bit of a butt kicker by the end, but worth it. Nice view of both side of the mountain. We also included fairview lookout, but you could probably skip that.

Saturday, March 31, 2018

Stunning, gorgeous path that takes you to the mountaintop along Lake Louis. Still reminiscing about this hike back in August, 2016. Takes several hours to complete and shouldn’t be a problem if you’re in shape!

Sunday, October 01, 2017

This is a good workout with a wonderful reward at the end. We did this yesterday and even it was cloudy and drizzling we were still entertained with golden larches and amazing views all the way up. Not technical at all. If you're fit, you should be able to do this.

Friday, September 08, 2017

My favourite hike! Absolutely stunning!!!!

Friday, September 01, 2017

The views from the top of Fairview Mountain help you understand why it was named Fairview Mountain. Spectacular views on a clear day. It’s a long climb to the top - a bit of very light scrambling in places, but mostly straightforward. Very clear trail. It can be heavily trafficked but it’s worth sharing for the views from the top, as well as those from along the route. Everyone also seemed to be in a good mood on this trail the day we were there. We chatted with many other hikers and there was even a family group where we were told that one of the men was planning to propose to his girlfriend at the top. Yes - it is that kind of special place! :-)

Monday, August 07, 2017

I brought my son up this summit for his first birthday. The view is amazing compare to the effort. Scrambling is optional, I took trail the whole way up.

Wednesday, August 02, 2017

Absolutely stunning views, its worth every ounce of sweat.