Opal Ridge

Opal Ridge is a 3.1 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kananaskis, Alberta, Canada that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

3.1 km
368 m

This is definitely a moderate hike with a bit of scrambling. I did it with my 10 and 9 year old boys, but they could only make it about 3/4 of the way up. There are a few steep sections so I would not say it was kid-friendly. But the views going up are beautiful.

Park at the north end of the gas station's parking lot and follow the creek up about 150 metres until you see the trail cut into the forest on the left-side of the creek. I referred to the All Trails map on my phone a few times to ensure we were on track.

Good hike. Beware of a trail that starts right before the Opal Ridge start. Puts a damper on the outing when you hike for half an hour on a good trail to find out you are not on the right trail. There are no signs so follow the instructions VERY CAREFULLY.

My favorite hike by far. I've gone twice and it's not a well populated hike at all. Starts off with some good incline and then you hit a few spots where you have to rock climb, nothing crazy. Once you get past the first hump you start to see the beautiful views of the backside. You get to walk two ridges if you complete the hike upwards and to the right peak but I've only made it to the left peak and that was satisfying enough. Definitely will do this for a third time before the season is over! I don't recommend bringing dogs as it gets pretty loose with rock and it is easy to lose the trail at a couple points on the way down so make sure to take a lot of stops to look around to make sure you're on the right path! The smoke from the fires affected our view tremendously on Saturday so it's worth the wait if you want the full panoramic view.

Good trail but quite steep for my five year old son. He did good going up but down was more difficult for him. We didn't quite make it to the top. I'll return by myself to complete it.

Challenging route and descent but great views

Challenging hike for sure but probably one of the most incredible panoramic views I've ever seen. Can get a little hairy on the decent with the lose rock but the pain is worth it. Leg burner for sure!

Friday, September 04, 2015

Very hard to find/navigate trail. Excellent views minus the smoke from Washington. A lot of easy scrambling.

Sunday, August 16, 2015

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Lost trail and went straight up from parking spot. Found ourselves doing inter. to difficult scrambling for a few hours. Managed to find an easy trail on the way down from North Peak but lost it again and had to trek down steep slopes bush wacking the whole way.