Ole Buck Mountain is a 4.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Kananaskis Improvement, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,302 feet Route Type: Loop

The loop part is well marked with a clear trail. The summit has no path at all and was crowded with trees. I wouldn’t do the summit if I was to do it again.

There was no trail after Ole Buck Loop, we used AllTrails map to find a way to the peak, but even that was hard as there was a lot of fallen trees and no trail. When we go to the end we didn’t find any views so it was a bit of disappointment but on the way back we found a spot with view to mountains.

Quiet trail, only ran into one other group, which is exactly what we were looking for with social distancing. Parking lot was quite busy though because it’s also a campground. Trail is not that clear or well marked especially after the loop. Mountain trail was a decent incline. Do not attempt the summit without a gps.

May 10, 2020 | Happy Mother's Day! I hiked this trail with my mom today - it was about 4 degrees and snowing, but still doable. We did it in 2.5 hours round trip. The loop is easy to follow with red trail markers, and it's not too hard. However, the mountain trek was overgrown and super hard to find in the snow, so I had the trail map open on my phone the whole time up. It was not terribly difficult, but it took a lot of effort to navigate. On a warmer day this would have been a bit more enjoyable, but it was still great to get outside, and it's totally doable during shoulder season, though I wouldn't recommend it if you are looking for views of the surrounding mountains. Happy to check this hike off my list!

May 9, While looking for more trails that are not covered in deep snow, we thought to give Ole Buck Mtn. a try. At this time the route was free of snow, but the trail was overgrown and visible in very few short sections. Unfortunately, we encountered heavy rain, a short distance after leaving the loop trail, and we did not make it to the summit. We did not wish to bushwhack in the rain. If you are planning on trying this trail, be sure to download the map in advance. You will be using your GPS to navigate the route beyond the loop.

The loop is a nice easy hike , there is no trail to the Summit, we made it half way up to some large rocks for a great view . Beautiful fall colours !

Sat Apr 13 2019

Ole Buck Loop: Nice easy loop that's well signed. A little muddy due to the thaw. Lots of horse manure around. Nice hike overall. Ole Buck Mountain path The path to the mountain isn't well traveled, we couldn't really locate the route as it's so overgrown. It was an easy hike. Seen some bear tracks near the end, no sign of the bear but be aware they're in the area.