Northover Ridge Loop Trail is a 20.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Kananaskis Improvement, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September.

Distance: 20.6 miles Elevation Gain: 7,122 feet Route Type: Loop

Northover Ridge is a long loop trail that should not be attempted by anyone who is less than an experienced hiker. There are some who will day-hike this in a very long, strenuous day, and others who take 3-5 days stopping at the backcountry campsites. Portions of the trail are unmaintained, requiring crawling under and over dead fall, short scrambles, loose scree, etc. If the weather cooperates, the views are amazing though, more than worth the effort if you are fit enough.

Finished it on one day on Sep 16th in 11.5 hrs. No snow on the ridge, and great views. Got bit windy on the ridge but overall a great day.

Recommend going counterclockwise, easy to follow trail the entire way!

Just did this on Aug 17 and 18. the climb up to Aster Lake was tough with a bit of a grind in the middle. We had planned to push on to the tarn lakes at the BC border but the weather was turning a bit ugly so we took advantage of the no shows at Aster Lake campground. Next morning we had a slight navigational challenge on the far side of the lake as we tried to figure out the route (it's the climb in front of you, to the left of the waterfall - there are carins in place to guide you up. This was the start of the grind up to the ridge, in all honesty while the views around you are beautiful - the climb is brutal. Straight up mud and gravel. Once we got up to the ridge it was super windy so dress appropriately. The ridge was free of snow which was nice. The climb back down was a toe buster. in the valley follow the drainage to the lake, stay to the right of it and you will be guided to the three isle trail. After a short break at the lake we carried on back to the Inter-Lakes Lot. A long second day (25 km).

Outstanding hike. Very challenging, fairly technical trail. Aster Lake end has steep elevation gains. Three Isle end is easy and gradual. Walking the jagged top edge of the ridge is not for anyone with height issues. Very narrow “trail” with a steep drop off on either side and very exposed to the wind. Incredible views are more than worth the effort. Check your heading often as it is easy to get off course. Contrary to what I had heard, the were no streams that required wading across.

This Trail is absolutely amazing! We did this hike in two days. Every step was worth it. The first day was harder because you are going up for the couple of hours and getting bigger elevation. The ridge is insane!!! There are two scary parts which you have to cross it, but you can definitely do it just watch your steps and balance with your heavy backpack! There is a minimum of snow on the trail. Beautiful views all the way, glad that we had a beautiful weather both of our days! Definitely would do it again. One of the best hikes which I ever did!:)

Must do - Some people do it in 2 days or even 1, but we took our time to enjoy and took 4 days, with two nights at Three Isle to explore the valley. We went counter-clockwise, and managed the Ridge despite fears of heights affecting some of our group. The views are spectacular and, unlike a mountain peak or a viewpoint, they last for 2+km. The March up and down also won't disappoint, and the climb down from Aster lake was mind-blowing all over again. 100% would do again, although maybe I'd try the other direction. Although to be honest either way would be amazing: I kept on swiveling like a top to try and figure out which direction was more beautiful.

Completed the loop counter-clockwise Aug 3/4/5 starting at Upper Kananaskis parking lot, first night at Three Isle Lake, second night at the BC tarns, and out through the Aster Lake route. Great trip and beautiful ridge walking, not an easy backpack trip, would not recommend for anyone starting out. Some route finding necessary. As we were leaving the tarns headed to aster lake, a grizzly and her cub came up from the aster lake direction and went swimming in the tarns not too far below us on the main trail. Unfortunately I dropped my phone between where we were below at the tarn and where we had met the main trail again above, due to the grizzlies being in such close proximity and around where my phone was I was unable to search for it, we chose to vacate the area. If you find my iPhone in a light purple case, please contact me or take off airplane mode for the “lost phone” message and contact ph# I have sent to the phone. - returned to the trail August 10 to search for phone. Did not locate. Same grizzly and her cub spotted at the north end of Hidden Lake along the aster lake/hidden lake trail just off of the Kananaskis Lake circuit. The bear sitings have been reported.

One of the most amazing hikes in the Rockies. Recommend starting at Three Isle and going to Aster Lake. Route finding is easier and the tricky sections get out of the way in the beginning of the ridgewalk. It’s a grind, be prepared for very windy conditions and route finding. Lovely views and amazing exposure, not for the faint of heart. Saw a Grizzly crossing the saddle into BC just before the final push to summit of Mt Northover. It’s a solid 3 days, take your time and enjoy the experience.

Absolutely incredible hike!!!!! We did it in 2 days. Rivers, creeks, lakes, falls, galore! Views are endless and they go as far as the eye can see and are GORGEOUS!!! Ridge walk was scariest at 2 specific points for me and some of my friends. Otherwise not bad but I can see why people would recommend good weather. We had bright sunny days both days. This hike was so long and sooooo worth it every step of the way!!! Insta: ofer_em

Amazing trail with outstanding camp sites. Lots of wildlife sightings. It was incredibly windy when we crossed the ridge, which was definitely a little unsettling. Keep an eye on the weather, it’s very narrow and no chance of self-arrest if you did fall. Overall, spectacular views and a great three day adventure.

July 25 - 28, 2019: Completed this a thru-hike staying at Point campground on July 25 and Three Isle Lake on July 26 & 27, hiking out on July 28. The trail and campsites are in excellent condition with very little mud following recent rainfall. Some route finding was necessary west of Aster lake where the trail gets lost through the braided drainage and rocky slopes. The ridge walk is phenomenal on a clear day but not recommended for anyone with a fear of heights. Several vertigo inducing sections along the ridge are narrow and extremely exposed with no chance of self arresting in the event of a fall. Pay close attention to the weather before attempting to cross. This hike includes loads of elevation and some of the most spectacular views I have ever seen. I'll be glad to do it again with Steve especially if Mike packs in the beers.