Northover Ridge Loop Trail

Northover Ridge Loop Trail is a 33.2 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Kananaskis, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September.

33.2 km
2,171 m

Northover Ridge is a long loop trail that should not be attempted by anyone who is less than an experienced hiker. There are some who will day-hike this in a very long, strenuous day, and others who take 3-5 days stopping at the backcountry campsites. Portions of the trail are un-maintained, requiring crawling under and over dead fall, short scrambles, loose scree, etc. If the weather co-operates, the views are amazing though, more than worth the effort if you are fit enough.

I have completed this loop twice (once in Washington direction). I prefer going to Three Isle Lake first. We got a bit lost when we went Aster Lake way first. I preferred the descent going to Aster Lake from the ridge as opposed to descending to Three Isle Lake. I recommend hiking it during the week if you can - less people on the ridge!

absolutely love this trail and would highly recommend it! I have done it twice and will go back again. views are spectacular. would recommend a multiday to have the time to go off and explore a little bit and not be so rushed to do the distance and elevation in one day. The trail up to Aster can be a bit tricky find and follow. as along as you know the general direction of where you are going you will be fine.

I had my 65th birthday on this ridge- a dream come true! The trip up to Aster lk. has so much variety . The glacier at the ridge was stunning. We hiked the ridge in both directions, staying at Aster both nights. This yr was Smoky so we didn't get a clear view of the Royal range- We hope to return next year and do the loop.

Four of us did the three day from UKL > Astor, Astor > Three Isle, Three Isle > UKL. Day one was super smokey and a bit unpleasant but cleared up as we arrived at Astor so we could enjoy the spectacular views. Fossil Falls was absolutely a highlight for us all. The next day we did Northover Ridge which would have been intimidating in any weather. It was absurdly windy for our crossing which made it even more "exciting". The views were spectacular though. This is definitely a favourite trip for me!

3 day backpack or about 13hr one day hike. Have to wait until probably mid July for the snow to be gone.

Three day backpacking trip including Aster Lake, Northover Ridge, and Three Isle Lake with family and friends. Fantastic views on a beautiful ridge. Highly recommend

Did it in one day, it's a real grind. Beautiful views make it worth the effort! Got to see a wildfire burning in bc.

Friday, June 09, 2017

Went today in a bad weather. Made it only about 8km and had to turn around because a grizzly was starring me down about 30 m away. Then on the way back, another bear was on the trail. Bears in both directions, thinking where the heck should I go now. Luckily it ran away after a few minutes.

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Life changing and absolutely amazing!

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Northover Ridge is more than just a 6.5 mile in and out. It is a 21 mile loop that should not be attempted by anyone who is less than an experienced hiker. There are some who will day-hike this in a very long, strenuous day, and others who take 3-5 days stopping at the backcountry campsites. Portions of the trail are un-maintained, requiring crawling under and over dead fall, short scrambles, loose scree, etc. If the weather co-operates, the views are amazing though, more than worth the effort if you are fit enough.

Sunday, July 02, 2017