Mount Temple

Mount Temple is a 14.8 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Improvement District No. 9, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

14.8 km
1607 m

rock climbing

Completed the scramble to the summit at the end of September. We were very lucky that not many were attempting the summit at this time of the year, as this scramble can get very busy. There are rock hazards so after the pass, a helmet is needed, especially when busy. While we did not use them, would recommend bringing crampons (or atleast spikes/cleats) as well as an ice axe as the final approach to the summit can have snow and ice all year round. While you need to have good fitness to reach the summit in a reasonable time, never anything more than easy and some moderate scrambling at the crux.

I have to go back to this one as it kicked my ass so hard. But even though I didn't reach the summit, easily some of the most breath taking views.

*NOT DOG FRIENDLY*

This was my absolute favorite hike ever. Honestly I struggle to find the words for how breathtaking the summit truly is.

Get to the parking lot early. I’m talking before 6 AM because it fills up extremely fast. The trailhead had quite a few people on it first thing in the morning but was thinned out by the time I reached The Valley of 10 Peaks. I passed quite a few people on my way to the summit. Many parties turned around after the initial pass for whatever reasons.

This summit is no joke. In the middle of August there was serious snow and ice for most of my ascent. Totally worth every breath.

hard hard hard ... had snow and ice ... but awesome!!

Definitely the most difficult hike I've ever done, but well worth it! Near the top it gets pretty tiring, especially for someone like me who was at sea level a few days before my hike. I would highly recommend walking sticks, as the hike back down is pretty difficult without them (I learned the hard way). Don't miss this hike if you're in Banff! Also, one thing to note: the description for this trail says that it is dog friendly, which is true up until you get to sentinel pass. After that, there's no way you're getting a dog up the mountain. There isn't a we'll defined trail and you have to do a bit of rock climbing at certain points.

Truly incredible views at the top.. one of the hardest trails I've ever done! First 4km are pretty easy.. then it's a scramble and super steep to reach the summit.. a bit hard to follow the yellow ribbons and the cairns , some sections of climbing up boulders

Completely worth it at the top!

The hardest hike I have done this year. Gentle start through Larch Valley, climb the switch backs to Sentinel Pass. Then the real climb begins, not too technical. the crux wasn't bad to get past. 11,000 feet at the summit and my legs felt it. Hard workout on the quads coming down. Views at the top were amazing even with the wildfire smoke in the area. Busy trail (probably 20-30 people at the summit on the day we climbed).

On emprunte d'abord le sentier de la vallée Larch, puis le col du sentinel. Ces deux sentiers sont tout à fait accessibles (deux bonnes montées cependant). Ensuite, il n'y a plus vraiment de sentier, très peu de balises et la montée du Mont Temple est difficile. Elle se fait dans des roches, peu stables (attention aux chutes de pierres). Il faut être bien préparés pour l'ascension. On a fait les 3/4 de la randonnée car ensuite c'est de l'escalade. On a du arrêter l'ascension car nous avons grimpés avec notre chien et il avait oublier son casque, donc pas d'escalade pour lui. On est redescendu par le "sentier" le plus à droite de la carte. La vue est magnifique tout le long!!

Larch Valley and Sentinel Pass are the perfect warm up before to start Mount Temple.
Be ready for loose rocks! The crux is the most technical part but being two people is very helpful.
The view at the summit is the best I had after spending 10 days hiking in the region. We made it in 8hours round trip (3:30 to the top) with two food breaks and tons of pictures break!

Long and constant climb but totally worth it! Always stick left when going up. Look for the yellow/red tape and cairns. My best advice, when you get to the chimney section take the tight one on the left instead of the blue/yellow alpine marker on the right. Poles and helmets will go a long way! Took us 10 hours round trip with close to an hour on the summit.

Anyone is interested to do this hike on September 2nd, 2017 first time in the morning (6:30/700 am) ?
I'll be alone doing this hike and need 3 more hikers...
Thanks :)
Maryy.giardina@gmail.com

Lots of climbing.

One of the best hike so far .. start early to be on summit by 2 to 3 pm. Follow defined path of alpine signs. Amazing view from top, worth to spend energy and effort!

One of the harder scrambles, but the views are worth it. High traffic in the summer, so expect bottlenecks and be sure to bring a helmet as there can be some episodes of rockfall with so many boots on the scree. We always hike in late August, and there will still be snow coronices even this late in the season. Dress in layers, especially if you plan on spending a bit more time at the summit.

This trail will beat up on seasoned hikers. Starts with the Sentinel Pass trail, which is basically 2500 feet worth of switchbacks, then throws you straight up the mountain onto scree, a couple short climbing cruxes, and a challenging finish with several false summits. Coming from the northeast U.S. at about 700 feet elevation, the steep, strenuous hiking at 9k and 10k feet on this trail pretty much knocked me out. We had to turn back about an hour from the summit (with the summit in view!) because of an approaching storm. Will complete this summer!