Mount St. Piran is a 12.2 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 12.2 km Elevation Gain: 918 m Route Type: Out & Back

This hike is mostly switch backs. The trail is quite crowded until you get past lake Agnes. Then it dies down a lot, almost completely once you go left to St. Piran trail (everyone does Little Beehive). Just before you reach the top, it's a bit of a scramble. Absolutely beautiful views of Devils thumb, Fairview, little and big beehive with temple and niblock in the back. 360 views of endless mountains, colourful larches and bright blue and green lakes.

a small mountain would be relatively easy but there is no summit that does not demand all the strength and ability to climb it, especially with snow of more than 40 cm, beautiful view from above and in particular the day I did it I was enjoying the top alone, without doubt it would do it again, it is quite advisable

Great trail and highly recommended. There was snow at the top and we didn’t have our micro spikes but it was totally doable. We got to the parking lot at 8am (on a Sunday) and it wasn’t even half full. Nice to get up on the trail early to avoid the crowds. We hardly saw anyone on the trail and after the tea hut, we had the trail to ourselves. Bring cash for the tea hut and make sure to stop in for some tea and the peanut butter bar - it was the BEST!

This hike is relatively easy as most of it is switch backs. The trail is quite crowded until you get past lake Agnes, it dies down a lot. Then almost completely once you go left to st. piran trail whereas everyone does little behive. We saw only 5 people doing this trail up so it was very peaceful. Just before you reach the top, it's a bit of a scramble but nothing too strenuous or challenging. When we did this hike, it was super windy and snowing. We didn't spend long at the top as the wind and snow was unbearable. This time of year is so unpredictable with the weather but the colours of the larches and lake Louise made the hike well worth while. Absolutely loved the views of Devils thumb, Fairview, little and big beehive with temple and niblock in the back. 360 views of endless mountains, colourful larches and bright blue and green lakes. Would highly Recommend !

Great hike and once you pass the tea house the crowd dramatically thins out. Didn’t see an actual sign for Mt Piran until the trail broke off the main path (on way to little beehive). Summit views are amazing and worth the climb. Challenging hike for beginners but doable. Had the whole summit to ourselves at noon on a very busy Saturday.

Great trail once you get past the crowds which dwindle after Lake Agnes. I would rate this a "moderate" hike. Not technical and an easy trail to follow - a steady incline most of the way. Beautiful views of Lake Louise from the summit. Right now is a good time to catch the larch trees on this trail while they are golden yellow.

Definetly worth doing if you’re in shape and up for the challenge. Mid September now and I did the trail in the morning, after soaking my two inner layers in sweat it was my hardshell jacket that kept me warm up there. So dress accordingly! This trail is nicely hidden from the public, I left at sunrise and there was only one other guy up there with me once I reached the peak.

What a hidden gem! We have done this hike twice; once on the July long weekend and once on a weekend in September. We were the only ones on the trail both times. Not sure why people do not do this trail as it would be a great first summit. Trail is clear and is a gradual incline going up. Scramble was easy at the top. Views from the top are incredible. We were able to see an avalanche in the distance and a rainbow on the trail which was awesome. Highly recommend this one!

Absolutely stunning hike with sweeping views of the Rockies, Lake Louise, and coming face-to-face with Mt. Niblock and Mt. Whyte. Loop trail, steep ascents and descents from the peak, but seems mostly doable for amateurs (though I'm a strong hiker) given time and patience

I came down from Mt St Piran and approached lake Agnes from the back (inlet side). Coming down from mt st piran was extremely hard. I could not find the path so I had to carefully slide/walk on loose rocks. There was no one else coming up towards. After I got close to the tree line I finally could visualize the path. Very hard hike but the peak of mt st piran was pure bliss. Stay warm. It was windy today but I can imagine it gets windy up there. Ski poles would be very helpful. I wish I had mines. Your shoes have got to have a grip. Your legs are in for a workout.

Very hard as soon as you leave the tree line. I was the only person going up and there was a couple at the top. Otherwise route is very visible and less traffic as soon as you leave the beehive. I am changing plans and instead of going back in and out, I will go down from the back of the mountain and approach lake Agnes from the back.

I’m surprised more people don’t do this trail. Wouldn’t rate it as hard, but it’s certainly more tiring than most of the hikes in the Lake Louise area. After the beehive trail, I only passed a few people on my way up and had the summit to myself. Started at 9:30, got back to the chateau at 2. Took an hour at Lake Agnes and 30 mins at the summit, so really, only three hours of hiking. Would recommend poles for going down the mountain as the switchbacks are steep and rocky.

Great mix of different types of terrain. No doubt the last stretch is tough (especially for those who may have a fear of heights) but the 360 degree views at the top are well worth it. Overall lovely trail once past the crowds.

Completed this today with my husband and son, amazing views and hike. I’m surprised there aren’t more people who’ve discovered this gem! Enjoy!!

Took this hike, breaking away from the crowd of "tea house baggers", at the recommendation of our server at Lake Agnes. Well-maintained and comfortably graded with switchbacks, but it was a good workout ... and 360-degree views at the top! Absolutely recommend this somewhat off the radar hike.

Trail is fairly easy, lots of great views! Was on the road at 5am from Banff in order to get parking.. so many people on hike up to Tea house but it is nice and quiet once on trail to piran.. and the view is amazing!!

Solid trail! Nicely marked. Recommend scrambling down the backside. Parked in Louise overflow at 7:15a, back to the car by 2:00p.

The trail is amazing with great 360° views at the top. I would likely rate this hike as a "tough moderate" instead of hard; it wasn't technically challenging at all, it was just long. It was a little difficult finding the path that forked from the Little Beehive trail, but just remember to look left when there are captivating views on the right and you'll see the trailhead. As always, hiking shoes and poles are well advised - as is a peek beer.

good

This is a great trail when you're ready to get away from the crowds! We arrived at the Lake Louise lot at 6:45am to get a spot. It was about 60% full at that time. This was also a Saturday morning so we expected it to be busy early. The trail up to Lake Agnes and the Tea House was fine at this time. Busy but not annoyingly so. Great views of the lake and beehive. We hiked up with no views of Lake Louise. It was socked in and we eventually got above the clouds which was really cool. Once past the tea house it cleared out considerably. We would have missed the turn off to St Piran if not for the app. The sign is oddly a bit off the main trail so unless you're not looking at the amazing overlook and look left then you won't see it. Once on the Mt St Piran only trail it was completely sublime. We hiked amongst fields of open moss and smaller pines. Single track all the way we eventually ran into snow on all the foliage. We ended up getting socked in for a majority of the climb up which was a bit eerie as we couldn't see the top till we hit the rock scramble. Without snow this would have been a piece of cake, with the snow and no actual trail that we could see you just had to pick your way the last 50 yards to the top. Luckily the clouds that had been sticking around starting moving and we enjoyed sporadic views all around us although never down to the lake as that stayed cloudy until we were well on our way down. Lunch at the top where a rock wall has been built to help shelter from the winds and then we headed back down. Trail continuing looked interesting but we just didn't have the time to continue in that direction. I will say that we were 4 very fit low landers and it wasn't as easy as everyone keeps expressing. You're climbing 3000 feet in 3 miles. That's no easy feat, so just be prepared for an amazing workout and not a walk in the park.

08/16/19 If you insist on doing the loop please plan to use the switchbacks on the way down. It is very steep. Other than that pretty quiet summit today. Somewhat rainy which made things interesting. Other than that very easy summit. Happy hiking, Nich

Nice easy hike.

Probably one of the easiest trails ive completed. Yess you’ll be out of breath most of the time and there is a steady incline from the beginning but the trail is just so so so well maintained and easy to follow. Great for someone who usually does moderate trails but wanted to give a hard one a try. Super windy at the summit as usual