Mount Lawrence Grassi is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Canmore, Alberta, Canada that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 5.9 miles Elevation Gain: 3,828 feet Route Type: Out & Back

icy

May 22 cloudy rainy snowy day. Lower trail was nice. Snow started half way up the trees and got quite deep. Upper part of the trail above the trees was snow covered and slippery. Recommend good waterproof footwear and gloves. Beautiful views even with the rain,snow and clouds. This was my first major mountain trail and it was challenging with the conditions and lack of equipment. Looking forward to do the climb again when the weather is warmer and the snow has melted.

icy

Did it May 16th. Lots of snow, knee/thigh deep for a large portion of it. Snowshoes would of helped a ton. A bit more tolerable above the tree line as the snow is more packed and you don’t sink as much.

Also did this May 16, late afternoon. I bicycled up from Canmore, past the Ha Ling trailhead which is closed right now, then along the canal to the large cairn marking the trailhead. A nice even hike ‘up’ wending through pine trees, then at the snow line, not too bad – though I was taking advantage of the earlier party’s tramping (thank you!). The views from above the treeline, all the way up to the summit are spectacular. The summit itself has a huge cornice that is pulling away, so be careful! Coming down, the slope is just the right pitch, the snow just the right consistency: I slid on my bum steering with feet pretty much the full length of snow. What a blast! I recommend doing this while there is still some snow, as it is likely easier than on scree.

I did this one on my own, and it was definitely alright. As expected it's pretty much straight up working those legs. I saw only two other groups on the trail so it's not a busy hike at all despite it being a Saturday. Ha Ling peak next door and the Goat Creek parking lot were incredibly busy. - Arrive early if you want a parking spot! - The section at the top can be a little tricky, maybe more so on the way down. That said, IF it's completely dry it's not bad at all. I read a few other reports about the slab sections being super scary, which I think it absolutely would be if it were wet. If it's dry, you can just walk on up but take it slow coming down. - Don't miss the cairn/marker along the left of that creek bed on the way up. If you get to a small waterfall with graffiti on it you've gone way to far! - Saw some fresh bear poop on the lower section of the trail, so they're around. - Great view of Canmore from the peak, but it was super windy and cold up there. - Took me 6 hours but I was pretty lazy/relaxed about stopping. I think 4.5 to 5 hours plus breaks is a reasonable time frame.

I did this mountain on Monday and it was beautiful! very hard for my experience but it was worth it! the views are beautiful and if you go off trail slightly, you'll hit a small Creek by the gully. steep all the way up! The walk at the beginning is very long, but I walked back during sunset and it was beautiful!

Advanced hike for sure. Like another review I saw me made it to 100 m before the summit and turned around because we had an extremely hard time getting any good footing on the scree. It was very steep. Beautiful.

The scariest/hardest hike/scramble I've ever done. It's just standard and steep for the most part (enjoyable, even; with beautiful views!) until before the summit when you reach rock slabs. I didn't realise the danger of them and just sauntered up before I realised that some pebbles on top basically provide a fast ticket down the mountain! I was stuck in a precarious position until my friend backtracked and offered me her leg -- I just needed a hold! We made it to 100m before the summit, just after the scramble with a cliff on either side, before we decided to go back. Our nerves were shot, the pebbles wanted to kill us, and we were being hit in the face with snow and wind. We'll try again in better weather... and with some reinforced nerves.

Little paved parking area right after the one way bridge. A long initial flat walk along the water diverging canal. Once you start the hike about 20 minutes in, that’s when the steep hike starts. And it doesn’t end. Great leg workout if you skipped leg day like I did that week. Last few hundred meters are loose rocks, would need proper boots to climb. Didn’t encounter any bears, but did notice few bear stools on the way up. Carry a bear spray !

Great hike, end was sketchy AF... Had a bear cross our path at the end, thankfully saw it a ways away and used horns and other measures... Would definitely recommend and do again. Be smart and safe.

very slabby on shallow lose rock on the last 300m. Grips were a lil precarious and slowed us down but still a fun bit of scrambling and a great peak!

Sat Jun 01 2019

Did this trail on Saturday, 1 June 2019. There were only seven people on the trail including us, so it was very quiet. The trail is half forest and half rocky. The last 1k is pretty strenuous with few risk prone areas. For us it took 7 hours (including 1 hour of rest) to complete the hike end to end. There was another couple who might have done it in 5 hours and they looked pro. The views are amazing as soon as one is out of the forest. At the summit you get the views of the other side looking towards Camore. Its is a double bonus. Overall very good hike from the point of workout and fun.

Wed May 29 2019