Mount Lady Macdonald Trail

Mount Lady Macdonald Trail is a 9.8 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Canmore, Alberta, Canada that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

9.8 km
1,293 m

I went on a weekday and only saw max 10 other people. I did the ridge walk right to the summit and had it all to myself. Most people didn't attempt the summit. It definitely increased my heart rate at the last little stretch right before the summit because there aren't many footholds. But the summit is so close you just have to do it! If you go slowly and carefully you should be fine but if you have a fear of heights, it might not be the greatest. Worth it though! Steep ascent the whole way from the bottom but I'd recommend it for a clear day.

Very steep but amazing view and lovely hike

Good day hike if your in Canmore, you can walk to the trail head from town. Pretty busy trail, and pretty much up the whole way until you get to the pad which is a good spot to each lunch!

Great hike!

If you keep a reasonable pace without stopping and spend a short period at the top this hike can be completed in around 4 hours.

Cougar Creek parking is always free and open. Trail is easy to find but there are several ways up and down - just keep moving because they all meet up.

Ascent is steep but rewarding and the view is fantastic.

The descent is not as enjoyable unless you bring walking poles or you descent at a faster rate!

Great challenging trail which is easy to follow up to the summit.
I Just wanted to pop up a little warning, yesterday (Tuesday 19th) I saw what I am 99% sure was a Cougar's tail hanging off a rock on the trail. We called Parks and received advice which we followed. As there were only 3 of us, we decided to turn back but were lucky to be able to join a big hiking group and proceeded to the summit. Just be aware up there and pack your bear spray.

Gorgeous views! Steep inclines but so worth it. We only went up a tad farther than the helipad as we started late and were running out of time. Well marked and easy to locate the trail.

Do not underestimate this hike.!! You need to be fit I mean fit.!! You will be sweating like crazy. Make sure you have enough water and food supply. After helipad, use extra caution on loose rocks closer to the summit. But in the last you will get phenomenal view of Canmore and surrounding mountain.

I love this trail! Lots of exercise, lots to see on the trail and a fantastic view from the helicopter pad. Avoid the crowd by going on weekdays.

Great hike! lots of different terian, go on a sunny day to see better views :)

Great hike The way to the helipad is steady with steep parts but a good trail and already great views. We had a 20 min break to suck up the views, have a chat with other hikers and to get ready for the summit. Definitely do the summit if your fit enough. It's a bit of a scramble but so worth it. We walked halfway over the ridge but didn't go as far as the 'true' summit because it was pretty sketchy and that top is like a few meters higher, not worth risking our lives ;) The whole trip including brakes and wondering at the summit was 5,5 hrs return

Amazing views of Canmore and Three Sisters peaks. Love sitting on the heli pad and absorbing the view while eating my lunch :)

We just did this yesterday and it was a long hike up. But the views from up there is awesome.
The hike to the Tea house (Heli-pad) wasn't that bad except for the part where it gets really rocky (large Rocks) and there are so many trails heading up you kinda get lost on which trails to take but they all lead to the same place. We aren't in the best of shape and we did it in 7 hours. Right up to the top but didn't have the guts to do the Ridge walk. Way too far out of my comfort zone hahaha.
I would recommend trekking poles for those adventuring out to Lady Mcdonald as it helped quite abit when decending the mountain. Cause it's a constant slope down so it gets pretty hard on the knees.

I would say it’s harder than Ha Ling and EEOR but the hike is well worth the anguish. The view is beautiful. Bring lots of water. I did The scramble at the top without poles. It’s do-able but not smart for the decent. I’m so happy I did it though. I will be coming back. My legs are jello and it feels great

We went this past Saturday and overall it was pretty awesome! There's one part where you need to climb up and over boulders and it's easy to lose the path; it's not very well marked. However once you're past that point it's 'normal' again. There's definitely some steep incline but not continuous like it is when hiking Ha Ling Peak. It had been raining so it was fairly slippery. We only made it to the helicopter platform. We fell a couple times and ended up 'skiing' down in the mud

This was a truly breathtaking hike. It was beautiful and moderately difficult up until you reach the heli-pad. After that it is definitely tough reaching the ridge with all of the scree. Fun though! And so incredibly worth it for the views. I didn't make it too far along the ridge as my boyfriend and I found the cold really affected our hands and didn't want to risk losing our grip. Others were comfortable walking as if there weren't huge drop offs on either side of them, it was impressive to watch, but not for us!

Great hike with amazing views. Pretty steep incline all the way up. was fortunate to have good weather. The ridge walk wasn't as bad as I thought but be careful.

Great hike, especially the ridge at the summit. What a great way to end a hike!!

Really fun hike. Quite difficult for first timers but overall the view at the peak was amazing and totally #worth

This is a challanging but well worth it type of climb. Make sure to do the ridge walk to the true summit. I was fortunate and had one of those perfect days. Lots of sun and little wind

The scramble was a bit more difficult than I anticipated. The trail is 98% dry as of May 8. The views all the way up are fantastic. As with all steep climbs, the way down is hard on the knees. Loved it!

This was a welcome challenge in April 2018; wore ice trekkers on the way down with poles due to snow and slippery descent. Plenty of spectacular views! It was too windy for us beginner to intermediate hikers (no to very little scrambling experience) to attempt reaching the abandoned teahouse, but we were pleased with the distance. We hit the trail marker at Noon and at a slow pace, it took us 7.5 hours return. I asked for a view and I got it!

Very icy and muddy but good views along the way! We had no views at the top and was very windy. Will be doing this hike again in the summer!

I did this hike first weekend of January and had a total blast! The first hour or so of hiking is a calf burner just a heads up! It’s the scramble to the top and the ridge walk that make the hike worth it. If you are thinking of doing this hike in winter I highly recommend a walking stick or something along those lines. Snow builds off the ridge and breaks off, I learned first hand and had a very close call. I wish I had a stick to poke and see what was safe to walk on. And be sure if you make it to the true summit to write your name in the little capsule at the peak!

Did it on 18th November only to the heliport. The strong wind, bunch of snow and ice made climbing the peak inaccessible and dangerous. But the hike was really good, views spectacular, with wind and cold on the heliport.

A great but very challenging hike. The elevation gain is quite high with a steep trail.

this trail is really steep the whole way up... don't let the length fool you.. once you hit the helicopter landing you have about 800 meters to the top

Best challenge I've had in a long time!

Thursday, August 17, 2017

Very nice but very difficult trail! Nicest views are on the way back from the helipad. Hard scramble to the top from the helipad.