Mount Lady Macdonald Trail

Mount Lady Macdonald Trail is a 9.8 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Canmore, Alberta, Canada that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

9.8 km
1293 m

28 minutes ago

I would say it’s harder than Ha Ling and EEOR but the hike is well worth the anguish. The view is beautiful. Bring lots of water. I did The scramble at the top without poles. It’s do-able but not smart for the decent. I’m so happy I did it though. I will be coming back. My legs are jello and it feels great

We went this past Saturday and overall it was pretty awesome! There's one part where you need to climb up and over boulders and it's easy to lose the path; it's not very well marked. However once you're past that point it's 'normal' again. There's definitely some steep incline but not continuous like it is when hiking Ha Ling Peak. It had been raining so it was fairly slippery. We only made it to the helicopter platform. We fell a couple times and ended up 'skiing' down in the mud

This was a truly breathtaking hike. It was beautiful and moderately difficult up until you reach the heli-pad. After that it is definitely tough reaching the ridge with all of the scree. Fun though! And so incredibly worth it for the views. I didn't make it too far along the ridge as my boyfriend and I found the cold really affected our hands and didn't want to risk losing our grip. Others were comfortable walking as if there weren't huge drop offs on either side of them, it was impressive to watch, but not for us!

Great hike with amazing views. Pretty steep incline all the way up. was fortunate to have good weather. The ridge walk wasn't as bad as I thought but be careful.

Great hike, especially the ridge at the summit. What a great way to end a hike!!

Really fun hike. Quite difficult for first timers but overall the view at the peak was amazing and totally #worth

This is a challanging but well worth it type of climb. Make sure to do the ridge walk to the true summit. I was fortunate and had one of those perfect days. Lots of sun and little wind

The scramble was a bit more difficult than I anticipated. The trail is 98% dry as of May 8. The views all the way up are fantastic. As with all steep climbs, the way down is hard on the knees. Loved it!

This was a welcome challenge in April 2018; wore ice trekkers on the way down with poles due to snow and slippery descent. Plenty of spectacular views! It was too windy for us beginner to intermediate hikers (no to very little scrambling experience) to attempt reaching the abandoned teahouse, but we were pleased with the distance. We hit the trail marker at Noon and at a slow pace, it took us 7.5 hours return. I asked for a view and I got it!

Very icy and muddy but good views along the way! We had no views at the top and was very windy. Will be doing this hike again in the summer!

I did this hike first weekend of January and had a total blast! The first hour or so of hiking is a calf burner just a heads up! It’s the scramble to the top and the ridge walk that make the hike worth it. If you are thinking of doing this hike in winter I highly recommend a walking stick or something along those lines. Snow builds off the ridge and breaks off, I learned first hand and had a very close call. I wish I had a stick to poke and see what was safe to walk on. And be sure if you make it to the true summit to write your name in the little capsule at the peak!

Did it on 18th November only to the heliport. The strong wind, bunch of snow and ice made climbing the peak inaccessible and dangerous. But the hike was really good, views spectacular, with wind and cold on the heliport.

A great but very challenging hike. The elevation gain is quite high with a steep trail.

this trail is really steep the whole way up... don't let the length fool you.. once you hit the helicopter landing you have about 800 meters to the top

Best challenge I've had in a long time!

Very nice but very difficult trail! Nicest views are on the way back from the helipad. Hard scramble to the top from the helipad.

Fantastic hike. Reaching the summit made this a 5 start hike. The first couple miles are very standard, nothing jumps out at you. The closer you get to the summit, the better it gets. Definitely a strenuous hike and I don't recommend reaching the summit unless you are an experienced hiker. Views on the top of Mt Lady Mac are spectacular.

Do not hike up the left side of the final ascent to reach the summit. I made that mistake and made it a lot tougher than it should have been. Right side/lighter colored rocks is a lot easier.

The best hike and scrambling I ever had. The ridge walking is a blast.