Mount Girouard

Mount Girouard is a 20.6 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Banff, Alberta, Canada that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 20.6 km Elevation Gain: 1,726 m Route Type: Out & Back

This one is a true suffer-fest! There are no groomed/flagged trails, there’s only one cairn in the creek (the summit cairn, if there is one, is buried under snow), many stressful creek crossings with torrential flow of the creek (June 28, 2019), very annoying blowdown to contend with and much snow on the final push to the summit. While it was hard-packed in some areas and great for kicking steps, most of it was deep and couldn’t hold my weight. I alternated between the rock ribs and the decent snow. The snow provided for a quick descent off of the summit.

Did it on in the end of June. Strong wind at the peak and cold. Can only stay for 5 minutes. Follow the snow pack to the peak. View is great, but hard on the feet to walk on the creek rocks.

Sun Jul 22 2018

This was amazing! For a couple of amateur scramblers my friend and I did pretty well, we spent 13 hours (1633m elevation gain, 23.8km) on the mountain and made it to the peak. Be prepared for a long (very long) river walk, bush wacking, a lot of exposure and wind, and a great time (bring a beer for the top, you’ll have earned it)!

Sat Jun 23 2018

Honestly this trail is the best, close to Banff town. My favourite. We made it in 9,5 h 18.6.18 True peak was still covered by snow and I would recommend wait until snow melt or use crampons and ice axe. And start early in the morning.

recorded Mount Girouard