Mount Bourgeau Trail

Mount Bourgeau Trail is a 21.7 kilometer out and back trail located near Banff, Alberta, Canada that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

21.7 km
1,731 m

1 hour ago

This is a hike i'll remember for a long time!! Forest scenaries to the lake, that gonna take 2 hrs more or less. Then the challenging part starts but best one as well!! 2 more lakes there and 360 view on the summit. Keep on going, bring food, water, proper clothing and just do that. Way back is rough and never ending but that's part of the game. Not moderate but hard guys. Don't miss this!!

Great hike to the lake, to the summit was definitely a challenge but totally worth it. Bring lots of water and food! Incredible views.

Finished this on Aug 04 2018. It was cloudy and it did rain after we got to the summit but it was still worth it. Didn't have the greatest views but it was still beautiful as I felt like I was with the clouds. I would recommend this and I would personally do this again.

This hike is divided into 3 parts, the first part is the Lake Bourgeau Trail (moderate). Of the 3 parts, this part is the most boring but you do go across some creeks that are nice -- also the lake is the nicest of the 3 lakes you encounter. The second part is Harvey's Pass (moderate). Once you get past the second and third lakes you get this amazing view. This part alone is worth the entire hike in my opinion. Finally, the last part is the summit (hard) and it is a little challenging but the view is really good. I do like Harvey's Pass better but they're both worth the views.

The descent is painful as you don't notice how many rocks there are until your feet are crying as you go down. There are rocks basically all the way down until just past Lake Bourgeau. Would recommend changing socks at the top. Or just suck it up. Up to you. I'm not your dad.

This entire hike took us 11 hours and we rushed on the way down as we were losing sunlight. We were actually pretty slow as we met 2 other groups that started and finished before us. I think if you are more fit and you take less breaks you can shave 1-3 hours. We took lots of water/food/picture breaks

Long, but rewarding at the summit. Hard hike, easy scramble.

I’ve done hard hikes before and I would definitely call the second part of this hike hard not moderate. It seems like a never ending summit haha. I would say if you stop and enjoy yourself the hike would take 8-9 hours. We saw 4 mountain goats and lots of marmots. Definitely take lots and lots of food and be prepared the walk back seems like forever. Some people also bring swimmers and jump in the first lake. Great views and hike, but i would be prepared before doing it & also choose a very clear day so you have views of Banff and sunshine village.

This is as good as it gets!!!!
Amazing, incredible, spectacular, all of those and many more!!! The Rockies, they are really something, not too terrible!!!!

Absolutely amazing. I usually don’t work out much but am moderately fit, and was able to do it - the last stretch up to Harvie Pass is tough but worth it to see the hidden lakes and the views! Saw a total of 9 wild goats, and many small rodents - no bears, thankfully! The last kilometer to Lake Bourgeau is a bit tough, lots of switchbacks. All around the best hike of my life, worth every minute of the 9 hours it too!

This was my first hike. There is no camping on or near this trail. Its a day hike. Took 8 1/2 hours to the summit and back. Bring lots of food ! The last part is pretty tough. Walking on shale rock.

Well worth the long trek in. First couple hours to Bourgeau lake is mostly covered with the odd views looking back down the valley. Once past the first lake, the views through Harvey Pass and the ridge to the summit will give you more than enough motivation to keep going! One of the best hikes I’ve done in the Rockies.

beautiful definitely worth the trek up... just keeping going and be patient and anyone can make it.

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Amazing views. One of the best hikes in Banff. It is long so make sure to bring food and water and have lots of time. Muddy in sections and snow in other areas but very manageable and safe.

recorded