Mount Baldy Trail

Mount Baldy Trail is a 6.8 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Kananaskis, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

6.8 km
978 m

Amazing hike with lots of varying terrain to mix things up! Lots of areas of high exposure but well worth it one you get up to the ridge!

Had a great hike here today. Started at 930am and 16C. Finished at 1530 at 30C. So 5.5 Miles and 6 hours. Obviously not the fastest time around this loop but it was a great hike. The only thing I didn’t like was the part of the descent. I went clockwise so after the second peak it was all loose rock and washout until back in the tree line. Not the greatest. But the rest of the trail and views were amazing. Met some great people on the trail. Great weather. Almost no wind. Beautiful. Next time I’ll probably just climb to My Baldy and then back track. Avoid all the loose rock.

Awesome hike with very minimal traffic on the trails. Lots of unique terrain as well as awesome views along the way. Only thing I did not enjoy was how frequent helicopters flew over the trail causing quite the noise. Overall a fun hike!

This was one of my first scrambles, absolutely loved it. We had to bush wack through the trees in summer 2017 to get to the peak, be aware of where you exit the trees to the scramble so that you can eventually find the path again (we were not that smart and got lost briefly in the forest). The views from the top of Midnight Peak were incredible, I’d love to do it again.

Did this loop today, awesome hike. Pretty good scramble up to the north summit and then a fun ridge over to the south summit. A little bit of down climbing from the north summit to the ridge, but nothing too intense. I’ve never experienced wind like I did today, but didn’t blow off the mountain so that’s cool. Definitely recommend doing this loop clockwise, the scree up to the south summit didn’t look like any fun to climb up.

One of my favorites of the year so far! Not too bad up to the north peak, then a really fun exposed ridge to the south summit. From there you have an option to go to the west peak or just go down. The west peak is really kinda rockclimby and exposed so maybe use some extra caution through that part. The way down from there is a lot of loose rock, wouldn't want to go up that way. Do the loop clockwise and go do all the peaks it's awesome.

I was a bit unprepared for this scramble! I went after it alone on a Friday and there was absolutely no one else on the trail--not when I arrived or when I left. I went left at the trailhead to attempt a clockwise loop, but I only made it to the first peak (the north peak?). I started the traverse but it was a bit above my skill level to do alone, so I went back down the way I came. I had some trouble route finding on the way down and ended up in a few pretty sketchy spots where I had to down climb things that were too steep for comfort. The area that I lost the trail is marked in blue on the AllTrails topo map, right past the bench made of rocks--I accidentally took the "blue" trail marked on the map and it was way too steep for me, so I had to go back up and find the other way down, which really took a toll on me mentally. The views at the top are really lovely and definitely worth the climb, but I really wish I had done this scramble with a partner!

This hike was harder than we anticipated. Would definitely recommend making sure you have the right gear. Lots of scrambling, some climbing. Amazing views and insanely rewarding!

There should be a review on here letting everyone know that you need to be well equipped for this hike. We spent a chunk of our time scrambling and screeing. Highly recommend hiking poles, ankle-high hiking boots (uneven terrain), and a helmet if you are planning to scramble up or scree down the mountain. Also, pack some insect repellent with Deet and check for ticks after the hike as we encountered a bunch of them. This hike is not for beginners.

Beautiful quick hike!
We only went to the false summit because of time restrictions, but it was so quick and an unreal view. Very steep incline the whole way (we made the mistake-or so I hear- of going up, and then back down the left side of the loop first).
Parked off of the highway and the coordinates took us right to the trail head

Amazing!! It’s quite the steep scramble at first but it is totally worth the views! We only made it to the “false” peak since our dogs couldn’t make the scramble any further! However, it was absolutely amazing!!! Will definitely try again to do the full peak later this spring

Not bad for snow but a bit tricky now. cold af today.

Hiked North Mountain, from trail head. Great hike for a quick morning in the mountains, it was December but felt like September the day we hiked.
Just a little technical and scramble. Too icy to get to South Mountain from North the day we were there (no Gear). Enjoyed the day. About 3.25 hours at a good pace.

Definitely agree with the other reviewer... this hike has its sketchy but I'd do it again for sure. I did the loop clockwise. Found some bear spray.

Did the north peak and transitioned to the south peak and then down for a loop (clockwise hike). It's also possible to do the "up and back" trek to the west peak. The connection from the north to south peak is SUPER sketchy with steep slopes, sharp and loose rocks. If you want to try it... you might first hike to a complete drop-off of like 20 feet and it looks impassable. But there is a trail around the north side of the ledge a little bit farther back. This is the unsettling part but after that the hike becomes more reasonable to the south peak. Hiking over top of the south peak will lead you to the way down a slope which is mostly loose scree etc and fairly challenging. This takes you right back to the parking. To start the hike, there is a small gravel parking space at the trail head. From the parking you can see 2 trailheads. For the north peak take the left one (you can also just turn left shortly after entering the right trailhead. It's all uphill. There is an option to hike up and over the fake summit when you reach the rock bench (someone made). At the peak there is a black tube where you can sign a loose piece of paper (bring one). Be careful the tube is attached with a frayed cable and cut my hand a bit.

Friday, August 11, 2017

Beautiful views! Great for a short outing, very rewarding.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Did to the fake summit (just above the couch and coffee table) July 8- looks like someone has come after some of the reviews as there were orange markers behind the back side of the first cliff that led you through the scree.

It was definitely harder coming down than up- but we are fairly average hikers and just getting our toes wet in the scree scene. The views are beautiful and the trail is away from the hustle and bustle of Banff/canmore - would recommend

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Lots of scrambling! If your a big lover of scrambles this hike is for you. It is a loop hike, but most people go in and out. There is some places where having a climbing background comes in handy. :)!

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Harder than I expected it to be, a few spots you need to scramble and trail is not well marked.

Friday, June 09, 2017

Nice views, but there were more bugs on this trail than any other hike we have done in Alberta.

Sunday, June 04, 2017

Did the loop north to south today, some parts were very scary, my girlfriend has fear of heights and just froze on a few exposed climbing parts.
After the north peak if you keep going to the south peak you'll hit a cliff, this is rock climbing don't try without gear, to descend safely go left on the ridge, you'll see a steep scramble with a path in the bottom leading back into the ridge around the scary rock.
On the way down after the south peak it's all scree not the best scree, but easier than north.

Monday, May 29, 2017

insane

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Moderate to difficult depending on how fit/fearless you are. Following the path you get to a fork - to the left is a bit of a scramble and then a downclimb about 15 ft of rockclimbing (not for the faint of heart!), then some more scrambling. To the right is a short walk along a path and then uphill on skree. Both paths then converge to the path that leads to North summit. It was very windy the day we went and so we could not summit safely, but was a fantastic hike nonetheless! Amazing views and a good workout.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

We went to North Peak and it was awesome. The downclimbing and ridge walking were awesome.