Mount Allan via Centennial Ridge

Mount Allan via Centennial Ridge is a 9.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kananaskis, Alberta, Canada that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October.

Amazing views, albeit long.

Hiked up Centennial Ridge, had a 5km detour to begin. There's a newly excavated cross country ski trail that is a left turn off of Hidden Trail. Make sure to pass this, you'll see a second sign at which point you should turn left up a footpath. You'll know it's right when the path quickly narrows. We hiked up the ridge about 4.7kms before descending down the Nakiska ski hill (just for fun). The summit is about 7.4kms from the parking lot. From the point we began our decent, we could see that the last couple of kilometers would have largely been a ridge walk with minimal altitude gain until the last half a kilometer or so where the final accent begins.

Trail is pretty much up hill the whole time. Nice workout. Hiking through the trees the entire time. Got a bit off track a few time, but overall pretty straight forward.
At the top you get a beautiful view of the mountains around you when you step off the trail. But not the best view I've seen.
I did not feel like continuing on to Mt. Allen. The total hike took 1.5 hours round trip, including my 0.8 km detour.

Monday, May 16, 2016

Sunday, August 30, 2015

I rated this hike decent. Long effort not extremely stunning view then again I was about 1.5km away from mt Allan so I didn't finish the whole thing. Was nice to see rock formation that looked like your somewhat walled in between giant rocks. Was extremely windy pass the Olympic summit.

Directions was posted twice. After that, another orange reflector showing where to go. Which is amazing you won't get lost.
Though I did take a wrong turn and hiked maybe 15 more unnecessary minutes (not extremely far off). Past the orange reflector, was a bit confusing two signs within 30 feet apart saying two different ways to go to centennial ridge.
Other than that you won't get lost.
Lots of rock formation at the top.