Mount Allan via Centennial Ridge is a 15.8 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kananaskis Improvement, Alberta, Canada that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 15.8 km Elevation Gain: 1,485 m Route Type: Out & Back

Closed from April until June 21st due to the importance to bighorn sheep during this period. Had to put a rating and didn’t want to bring the rating down.

closed

First completed in summer of 2019. Attempted May 18, 2020 but could not start because of wildlife closure. Centennial Ridge is closed from April 1st to June 21st every year to help protect sheep during mating and birthing season. This should be reflected in the main trail description.

Made it to just before the weather station on January 28. Snowshoes are not required until you reach the north side of the ridge up the final ascent to the weather station.

I have beaten a trail to the summit. Bring snowshoes and micro spikes. You won’t to do much work now though. Be cautious on slope right out of trees and and half way point. Rest was in great shape. If someone lost something on the lower section of Mt Allen on Dec 28 text me at 403.701.1296.

Very good hike! For 50 years 50 lbs overweight (hope is less now

It’s ok but the views are not worth the efforts.

it was the first time I’ve been back to this trail in 16 years and it was as good as ever! Ascent was beautiful. Rock garden was awe inspiring! Didn’t summit Mount Allan, but we’ll be back soon....

It’s a grind. Amazing views. Very nice trail. A few nice spots to take a nap!

Trail is in great shape. The last 800m to Olympic is tough. Had my Shepherd, he did great.

super windy, in the 120 km range

Incredible hike, I’d recommend poles because the descent really did a number on my knees even with them.

After about an hour your are out of the trees to enjoy views along the way to Mount Allan. Had a decent amount of snow today but I am thinking that will melt very quickly.

awsome day a bit windy and cold on the summit but amazing views.

beautiful hike. Make sure to take poles and bug spray. Nothing too technical, but it is long with 1300m elevation gain, so be prepared.

A truly gorgeous hike. Unlike many trails there's not a lot of up and down until you hit the upper ridge areas. It's mostly just steadily increasing incline. Once you are free from the trees the views are incredible, and the farther you go, the better they are. The sun was out yesterday, but the wind was extremely strong and cold higher up. Easily one of the best hikes I've been on lately.

Awesome day hiking the trail. Had the 4 season experience today, just leaving summit when the rain icy pellets started along with thunderstorm with lightning. By the time we hit the meadows it started to clear, however extremely windy all day on the trail.

An exceptional day out on an exceptional trail. This has it all; spectacular views along almost the entire route, slopes covered with a diverse range of wildflowers, amazing rock formations, and easy scrambling sections to make it interesting. All at the price of a staggering amount of elevation gain (this is the highest trail in the Canadian Rockies). The trail is well-signed on the lower section and marked with cairns and metal markers on the ridge so route-finding isn't an issue. Although it was a hot day (26 degrees), the near constant wind on the ridge kept it cool and any bugs at bay (not so much on the lower trail in the trees).

This was a long day but worth every step! The alpine meadows and flowers were so impressive. Rock garden, very cool. Screaming marmots, hilarious. We parked one car at Ribbon Creek day use and started from the Pigeon Mtn day use area for a 17.5km, 9 hour day. We thought the “hard” rating was appropriate due to some scrambly and steep bits. Dogs came and did great.

Holy ham fritters! What an awesome hike. If you can summon the power of Indiana Jones and make it to the summit the views are spectacular. I expect, anyways. We hit the summit for the fog and then a nice down pour for the descent. Rock garden is amazing! Trail is easy to follow. A definite repeat for me. No Liberal party feelings were hurt during this hike; hard to believe.

Challenging trail on a beautiful day! Didn’t make it all the way - encountered black bear just at crest of ridge about 2/3 of the way to the top. It seemed too interested in us and meandered after us for a bit as we retreated - we didn’t attempt another ascent.

Very scenic hike and well-marked trail. I spotted a cub once I exited the forest, so make sure you bring your spray. Beautiful rock formations once you reach the top of the ridge.

I took this beautiful route to Mt. Allen, then continued to Mt. Collembola (more challenging scrambling section), and down to Dead Man’s Flats where was picked up to get back to my car at Ribbon Creek parking lot. Screaming cold wind on top. Sweating at lower elevations. Long hike. A fine day.

One of the longest hikes I've done (August 2018). Definitely bring more than enough water as a litre is not close to enough. Amazing view from the top and along the way some of the most unique ridge environment alternations I've seen. Would do again but next time with 3 litres of water and LOTS of bug repellant.

I love this hike. Long, lots of elevation, spectacular views. If you are lucky enough to not be walking in a cloud at the top you get some amazing views. Much of the hike is above the treeline, so BRING LAYERS! It can be very cold or sweltering hot. I've done this one about half a dozen times over the last 20 years, each time I love it!

Mon Apr 08 2019

Good hike wouldn’t say it’s hard just more long than anything, very easy route finding, zero exposure but very scenic we did this just before the closure this year

Mon Mar 25 2019

Awesome hike! Did this yesterday- March 23. Trail was in surprisingly good condition. The majority of the trail was dry or muddy with some snowy patches. Only one section where the snow was quite deep (knee to hip depth) but this section was very short. I would definitely recommend spikes and maybe poles.