Moraine Lake Rockpile Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(522)
Banff National Park

Moraine Lake Rockpile Trail is a 0.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from June until August. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 0.5 miles Elevation Gain: 22 feet Route Type: Loop

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

paved

Note: As of May 13th, 2019, there are reports of closures on this trail. Please check with Banff National Park before proceeding. This trail is popular and is heavily trafficked. Arrive early for parking and for viewing the lake.

Worth it to get up there before sunrise!

Fantastic, beautiful place to visit! Quintessential thing to see in Banff. I think it's a lot nicer than Lake Louise. Go during spring where the minerals in the mountain runoff reflects the light so it's a deep beautiful turquoise colour. My only issue with visiting is that it gets extremely crowded. You need to go very early (before 6am) to beat the bus tours and other tourists. Car parking is limited and overflows onto the road leading up to the lake which can be over 1km long. Otherwise, go later in the day when most people have left.

Very crowded and parking definitely an issue but amazing view.

Moraine Lake Parking           51.321741599999996      N     -116.1860049             W

STUNNING. We got up at 4 am and made it to the car park to avoid it being full. There were a lot of people there even that early. We came back in the evening and honestly golden hour in the evening was less busy and stunning. It’s a must.

Amazing views!! We got there very early and settled in for sunrise. We beat the crowds but I must admit the best view of the lake is when the sun is shining over all of it. Very very crowded in summer and unless you get a car park you have to park down the bottom and get the bus up. Highly recommend though, it’s a must do!

Easy hike with the kids, but man o man does it have a huge payoff. Unbeatable views. Just be sure you get there really early to be able to park. It fills up in a hurry.

it's fairly easy hike, but quite busy. the view though is something else.

My favorite place. Short ‘hike’ with the best view, period. IMO.

Beautiful lake and area. Can get quite busy here.

entrance location 51°19'49"N 116°10'51"W

Nice short trail. Great to hang out and have a lunch for a couple hours. Always nice to make the scenic drive up. Can decide to do Larch Valley if you want something more challenging! Dog and kid friendly!

icy

beautiful trail but very icy. I did this in running shoes and had to be super careful - micro spikes would've made my life much easier. it's a stunning view. you can go down to the frozen lake too.

Wake up early and catch the sunrise, you’ll be thankful you did but be sure to dress warm, your butt and toes will freeze before the sun hits the peaks lol the lake was frozen but so beautiful..definitely a must-see while in the area

It was icy but worth it.

Beautiful views of Moraine Lake. It was super icy, I would definitely say spikes are a must. We spoke with a park official who said a woman broke an ankle very badly and was helicoptered out the day before from slipping wearing sneakers. Very busy and most people were wearing inappropriate shoes and falling. The trail closes after this weekend and traffic is routed weird & not able to turn in from the entrance. You have to drive to Lake Louise and circle back to park.

Last weekend of the season. Snow packed down on the stairs has become pretty slippery. Spikes recommended. Road still open at 9am!

What a beautiful place but get there early, even now at this season. My bf and I got there at 810am and there were already a lot of people. We went for the sunrise but you can't see it but it does reflect off of the eastern mountain range making for a beautiful photo opportunity. The lake was frozen and the sunny mountain range reflected off of the ice. It was UNREAL!! I recommend doing the rock scramble because you can't appreciate the colour of the lake from the waters edge, it is stunning. Be aware that this trail closes October 14th so get up there!!! Spikes will help but they're not required.

Not much of a hike but beautiful. I would make sure you arrive early because it will fill up fast!

Super easy hike, anyone could do it! Very beautiful end view of Lake Moraine! We went super early for parking and sunrise... best way to do it!

A very easy hike and a must for everyone. Without this hike lake moraine is incomplete in my honest opinion..

If you can’t get parking at Lake Moraine, park at Lake Louise early (around 8-8:30) and get a shuttle pass to Lake Moraine. It’s completely worth the 1 hour-1.5 hour wait in line to get shuttle passes. Be prepared to wait around a while after you get shuttle passes too. These views are unmatched.

Get here EARLY. I arrived at just before 5AM and the lot was roughly 30% full with cars coming in fast. If you want the lake to yourself head to the lake while everyone else is sleeping in their cars. I did this and had roughly an hour to myself! Plus some unique pictures. Definitely recommend this on a clear night!

Beautiful hike if you want some solitude and the chance to get away from the crowd at Lake Moraine. Perfect conditions but the Moraine parking lot fills up by about 5:30 a.m.

We went in the late afternoon after hiking around Lake Louise and the crowds weren't too bad.

Would give 6 stars for the views if I could! Easy hike with huge views. However, please know we arrived at 6:15 am today and the lot was FULL and closed! We had to come back later in the day (1:00 pm after finishing Plain of Six Glaciers) but missed sunrise and views of the mountains looking like they are on fire. We heard and learned the shuttles are not good options. All after 8am and waits are 45-60 mins both ways. They did open a few early bird shuttles 6/630/7/730 but I heard those fill up and you have to wait until 930 am to be returned to the Lake Louise Park n ride. Quite sad that even at 6:15 am we could not access this park but it was well worth it to go back later!!!