Moose Mountain Trail

Moose Mountain Trail is a 13.8 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kananaskis, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

13.8 km
766 m

9 minutes ago

Good variety of terrain from long inclines, short flat spots and steep slopes. Nice wide trail with lots of people. Would recommend.

Arrived early as got a parking spot. Did this as a solo hike as I knew I’d be ok as this is a busy trail. First 5km easy then a little more challenging up hill, lots of people taking it steady. Beautiful views from the top. Take boots with ankle support as very rocky. Last 1km to parking lot is uphill. Passed loads of people hiking in on my way out.

Loved it! A bit of everything. Did this hike solo. All kinds of weather so bring layers. Beautiful views! Go early ... passed a bazillion people on the way down.

Gorgeous hike, from start to finish (I don't think Yang and I were on the same hike). Prepare for wind and no shade due to summitting above treeline. Skipped the top of the summit...didn't wear the right shoes, but next time! The final haul back up the hill made me want to cry a little. One of my new favourites, would give a 9/10 and do again in a heartbeat.

Beautiful, moderate hike for the first 5 km or so, quite strenuous for the last bit up to the top, but very rewarding view and plenty of space for a lunch break. Heads up for anyone who doesn’t like heights, It is a bit sketchy coming down as it’s quite steep and a bit of a cliff on one side. As mentioned below, there is a long hill near the beginning of the hike which is nice enough to go down when you start the hike but absolutely sucks to go up on the way back.

Great physical hike. It took us 4.5 hours with about a half hour on top! Good workout. The last hill on the way out it is a bit of a thigh burner :).

Beginning of the hike can be a little boaring, but the view is amazing at the top.

I did this with my 14 year old son, 12 year old daughter and 10 year old daughter. It was our first hike together. We had a great time. We started hiking around 7:45am (first ones there) and made it back at 1:45pm. It was very scenic once you get to the scrabble. It was some nice scenery in the woods as well. Not much in the way of water in the trail if you wanting to purify water. Some cool rock forts and rock formations around. We all had a great time and we were tired when we got back but we did it :).

Fantastic view that changes as you go around the summit. A bit strenuous, especially during the last stretch

After reaching the top,the view is breathtaking!

Once you are up there It’s a bit like a moonwalk. The view is fantastic and absolut amazing (on a clear day). The trail is easy to find, but walking on the loose gravel for a couple of hours is a bit tiring.

Good moderate hike. Last leg go up was strenuous and last leg to reach to parking was also strenuous. Beautiful view on top and you will get chance to see some wildlife as well.

Some magnificent views at the top, but a dull stretch to start and finish.

I m not a hiker by far... I did this hike yesterday and had a great time. The views were amazing at the summit. On the return the last incline before you get back to the parking area is a really leg burner so be ready for it.

Excellent views, nice hike.

Beautiful views! The last section to the summit was challenging but worth the views :)

First part of the hike is easy and peaceful. Then when you get out of the woods it gets more challenging. It’s windy up there but it’s a great summit!

Great views! A real grind of a hike but some great views. I did not see any moose, but several mountain goats. The top can get quite windy; bring some layers.

Definitely recommend this hike for the views at the top! I recommend a bear bell or a loud friend (someone you can outrun) for the first leg of the journey- it’s pretty wooded and I didn’t come across many people on the trail.

I did this hike yesterday and it was great. I'm not an experienced hiker, but I did this alone and it was all I could ask for. Maybe next time I would have brought bear spray, as it feels pretty secluded there going through the wooded area. Lookout was fantastic. For wildlife, I believe I saw a couple marmot and chipmunks.

Gets chilly at the top but has amazing views!

Fantastic Hike! I it with a friend of mine and it was so much fun! You start the first hour or so in the trees, and then the remainder of the hike is above the treeline. BRING LAYERS! It can get extremely cold in the wind. If you get to the top you can see a fire lookout with gorgeous views. There are picnic tables there and is a great place to stay for lunch. Bring sunscreen as well, it is very exposed at the top! Bautiful views at the summit

Beautiful hike

Great hike with amazing views once at the top. From parking to tree line is very easy and a few views along the trail. Once at the tree line it gets steep quick. Trail poles will help but not required. When we went it was very windy at the top. Wind breaker or sweater would be recommended. At the top amazing views and a great picnic table to eat at. Just be respectful of the cabin as “the lookout guy” lives there.

Great views

it was a beautiful hike

Awesome day hike!! Doesn’t take too long but has a great, rewarding view at the summit.

Our first time doing the Moose Mountain trail, and we loved it! Picnicking on a Heli-pad was great and the views were phenomenal! Will go back!

I do this hike once a year. The views at the summit are phenomenal.
It’s fairly easy until you reach the tree line to the top of the summit, it gets pretty steep. But the most challenging part is the fairly large incline right before you finish the trail back to the parking lot. It always gets me :/

Great hike! Very rewarding!