Little Arethusa Route is a 2.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Kananaskis Improvement, Alberta, Canada that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,975 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Good grind up. Was less crowded when we turned off for Little Arethusa. Lots of snow up there. Bring microspikes and poles.

Fun little hike ...... minor scramble at the top more so just loose scree.... trees are great this time of year larch city!!!!! Good alternative to ptarmigan cirque....my phone shut off right at the summit so that’s why 2.3 k my watch said 5.2 k which I believe ....

Once you get to the ascent it gets very steep and rocky. We followed the Alltrails map and got about halfway up and turned back down, neither of us are comfortable with scrambling. From the base of the rocky part we tried to go up again on a grassy slope left of the Alltrails map but still didnt make it all the way. Maybe we still hadn't found the 'trail' or easiest way. I would love to go again with someone who has done it before and could guide me to the top. Views are spectacular almost right away. Beautiful larches. Swarming with people by 10am. Did the cirque loop as well. Total of 3.5hours

Short and steep, it is a big effort but totally worth it for outstanding views the whole way. 4 instead of 5 stars only because it was so busy.

good quick hike with very nice views and great fall colors with the larches below. if you want some moderate scrambling head east of the summit ridge, hike north to the end of the cirque, then scramble up the ridge on your left and walk it back south and down the main route.

It was a Autum picture made by nature. so beautiful to take in. when we came down around 2pm, it was a little bit crowded. great trail.

Excellent hike! The first half of the hike is pretty moderate but the second half was a little more challenging with a steep incline and scrambling the whole way up. Once you get to the very rocky area continue going straight along the bottom until you find the path leading up. We followed the path on the All Trails map and it was much more difficult and was more of a scramble. I’d definitely recommend trekking polls and gloves. Otherwise the hike was completely worth it and had some stunning views at the top. I would definitely recommend this hike.

Great trail with gorgeous views of the Highwood Pass. I’d recommend doing the loop first before the summit. We did the loop counter-clockwise and would recommend that direction as it’s less steep of an incline going up. The summit is a beast but definitely doable and worth the 46-60 minute climb depending on your pace.

I would recommend this trail for a short hike. It is steep in places but short enough that you can take it slow and well worth the views on the way and at the meadow up top. It is much like Ptarmigan Cirque and less travelled. This from a keen semi-good-shape septuagenarian.

Such a beautiful hike!

Hiking, river crossings, jumping on rocks, climbing up some boulders (optional) and epic views. Highly recommend- I enjoyed more than Ptarmigan.

Fun hike through a forest to a valley, lots of river crossing opportunities and beautiful views throughout. Not clear the correct way to the top, but we made it up pretty quick. Spectacular sights on the top, a great lunch spot. We ended up going down a crevice different than we came up which I would recommend for the way down

my first scramble! Was incredible and pretty short. maybe I went a tough way but climbing was steep and a bit dangerous at times.

The all trail map is not accurate but the trail is well marked . Unfortunately the last scree part I was trying to follow the all trails instead of the trail markers . Ended up hiking from boulders and scramble instead of trail . Once on top it was quite obvious there is a trail to come down . Nice hike , I need poles specially coming down on scree but there was two gentlemen who just walked down no issues . On top there are a bit of exposure , get some extra layers . Otherwise short and rewarding hike .

This trail is tough one of the hills is really steep poles are necessary. Easy to follow well marked. Got to scree line and went back down. Views are amazing. Theres a river to cross so if it's just rained it could be hard to cross it as the crossing was just trees

epic hike. easy to moderate through the trees then quite steep scramble after that but follow the cairns and you'll be good. little bit of snow still up there but nothing affects the trail.

Sat Oct 27 2018

Great hike.

Sat Sep 15 2018

Great little hike with views all around on the last half of the trail. Take a hard left shortly after the river crossing and the trail will take you close to the base of the mountain. From here it’s a steep hike on loose rocks, but if you can find the cairns slightly left of the GPS track it will make it somewhat easier of a climb to the summit. Nothing too difficult about this trail besides the steepness. Good views of the higher peaks in the area as well (Rae, Arethusa, Storm, and Tyrwhitt).

Mon Aug 20 2018

Scramble was tough, but definitely manageable - the rocks don’t slide as much as we thought! The view at the top is unreal.

Thu Jul 19 2018

Beautiful hike with great views. Easy going through trees, and then becomes steep on the loose scree section to the summit. NOTE: The posted route and description for this hike say that it is a loop trail however it is actually and out and back unless you want to bushwhack! We hiked the posted route in June 2018 and the GPS route did not follow a trail on the way down the mountain. Instead, I recommend following the black dotted trail called Arethusa Cirque Route, then once out of the woods head to the summit of Little Arethusa using Little Arethusa Route trail. Descend using the same trail (not following the “loop” route unless your up for the bushwhacking!).

Sat Sep 30 2017

First half is easy but steady uphill. Once out of the tree line trail becomes hard to find. Climbed to the highest summit we could. Definitely great views !

Thu Jul 13 2017

We did this on Canada Day, July 1. Going up until the foot of little arethusa is fairly moderate, but there were no clear trail from that point. Since we can see the summit we decided to scramble our way up. There were lots of exposure and loose rocks and for beginner to intermediate hikers like us it was quite a challenge. However, the view at the summit was spectacular and very rewarding. Its all worth it. Going down the scree was easy for the younger ones but another challenge for me. When we reach the treeline on our descent we could not find the trail again and we only relied on our GPS and map. We were making too much noise in fear that since we were not on trail and were lost in dense larches we would encounter bear..finally after maybe 30 to 45 mins, we reached and crossed the creek and got back on the trail where we begin. It was a mix of fun and scary adventure. If you plan to take this hike be sure to load your map to guide you on your descent. And hike in group.