Landslide Lake

Landslide Lake is a 30.4 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Clearwater County, Alberta, Canada. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, trail running, and backpacking.

30.4 km
1714 m

The hike was gruelling to say the least. There is no noticeable signage for the Landslide Lake/Lake of Falls trail so we ended up on the Pinto Lake trail before realizing this. The washout from 4 years ago has made a large section of the trail from the horse camp midway up, very difficult and in some places very unsafe for hiking. Once at the junction for Landslide or Lake of Falls, there is finally a sign showing directions to each lake. The hike took us 8 hours out from Landslide Lake to the trail head at the Cline River. I think this hike should be rated as hard and would not recommend it to an inexperienced hiker.

My girlfriend and I ran this trail July 15 2017, the trail GPS distance was actually 38.6km. There has been a washout recently about 4km before the junction that has changed the trail from a moderate, fun trail to a difficult, high consequence one. Experienced route finding is needed to navigate above the river's edge; I would suggest anyone braving it to be equipped with poles. All in all a great trip, we finished our return trip in just over six hours. There are some great camp spots along the way.

July 15 2016, This was my second trip up, the weather was pretty crappy the first couple days, creeks were overrunning, with rushing water, and the thunder of rocks moving, some of the path was washed away. We meet some people as we made our way up that had turned bad, it turned out to be a pretty good trip. looking forward to the next trip in a few weeks or so.

Did this hike June 18, in one day. Lake still partially frozen. Made it up in 5:15 hours and down in 4 hours. Part of the trail was washed out but new trail has been set and is flagged well.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Did it with 3 friends in late season (Oct. or Nov. but it was about 8-9 years ago, so I can't quite remember). I had previously done Lake of the Falls and absolutely loved it - both the hike and the destination, so Landslide was next in the list. Now I'm heading to Landslide again tomorrow.

A great hike. We did the northern approach (from Cline river). Overall I'd say it's easy to medium if you're in decent shape. Trail is well defined, mostly forested, plenty of water along the way. Because of the creeks crossing your path you will have more uphill than the total gain suggests but these are short spurts. The lake is beautiful. When we were there the water was mirror like. We camped at the North end and had our cooking/hang out spot near the massive boulder there. Since snow was already on the ground we did not explore much but obviously there is plenty to do. Went back the same way we came. I can't remember the times but we made it within 5-6 hrs each way. I'm curious (nervous?) about tomorrow - I'm not in the same shape I was 10 years ago:)

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Great hike into Landslide Lake. You can either hike in and back 16km each way, or you can continue through and over the pass at the back of the lake coming back out on Hwy 11 towards the Banff boundary. A great weekend trip.

Friday, July 04, 2014

This climb can either be a great climb for the outdoorsy family or a good challenge for the every day climber. With a awesome cave to explore too, I can't quite remember where it's located but once you find it you'll spend all day exploring it. Just remember to bring your helmet harness and lights as it can get quite sketchy