Lake of the Falls

Lake of the Falls is a 34.3 kilometer out and back trail located near Clearwater County, Alberta, Canada that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

34.3 km
1,281 m

closer to 21km each way then 17km. A group of three of us did it in 7hours going in then 6hours on the way out over 2 days. Would not rate this as hard, if anything it's an easy hike. After the second bridge crossing there is a fairly steep hill and then after the stream crossing there is another slightly larger and steeper hill however neither are extremely challenging. There arent many campsites at the lake so if you're planning on going during a long weekend make sure you go out very early. fishing is decent but dont expect any trophy fish.

This hike is very challenging. We made it in 2 days and it definitely felt longer than what this app says. Lot’s of up and down, creek crossings and uneven ground. We took our 6 year old and 10 year and they both did awesome but I would not recommend it!! Camping was amazing, views were amazing, and fishing was awesome! Loved it there. My only recommendation is good footwear and pack light! Definitely worth the reward of reaching the Lake!! Oh, and crossing the creek in bare feet was a breeze, even our 6 year old had no issues.

This was my first back country camping trip of the year and the views along the way are gorgeous! steep and difficult, I found the river crossing challenging it's in the last 3-5 km before you reach lake of the falls. Bring Keens

To say this hike was hard is an understatement! This was our first over night hike and it was challenging!! The first 13ish km in is a nice little warm up but the going gets tough on the back stretch!! There is also a little river crossing so I would recommend having an extra pair of water shoes of some sort. (We weren't prepared so it made the rest of the hike and the whole next day a nightmare with wet shoes.. lesson learned!)
We did the hike back over two days which I highly reccomend if you have the time because 1. it made the hike a lot more enjoyable for ourselves and 2. there are so many great spots to camp along the way!
absolutely beautiful and humbling experience, I would do it again in a heart beat over a few extra days to enjoy everything a little more!

Rewarding/scenic/challenging! Would do it again!
Hiked in: 18.8KM 1 day. Total in/out: 37.6KM
Elevation gain: 1539M
Total moving time: 13HRS

I just attempted this hike this past May long weekend on a four day backpack. I would say do not try to go to lake of the falls until later in the season! We hiked about half of the day from the fork between lake of the falls and landslide, and we encountered a couple feet of snow covering a deep Creek that will go over and into your boots. We tried to go up and around the side of the mountain instead of near the water but that ended up leaving us much too high and very late in the day. we ended up turning back and making camp near the fork. Take caution on the trail this early and don't take unnecessary risks.
Go to landslide instead! it's a much nicer, shorter and better marked path.

Friday, August 11, 2017

A good hard hike but the views at the lake are worth it. Lots of free camping spots but not all are flat or level. Take time to do the day hike above the lake to the Lake Of The Falls lookout. The 360 degree view from there is fantastic.

Thursday, July 27, 2017

It was a great hike. The trail was a little washed out due to erosion but it was well marked out. Some of the marked out sections lead you in the right direction but actually were not the best paths to take and were pretty sketchy. Make sure to assess the detours to make sure it is worth while. It is not overly dog friendly but my dog had no issue and loved the hike. The fishing was unreal, every cast just about and a fish was on the line.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Amazing views and camping sites. 10/10 would reccommend.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Beautiful hike. I managed to get a bit lost right off the bat because I am apparently a potato, but it's a pretty easy area to quickly regain your bearings. The lake was beautiful, and about 20 min after pitching my tent (which is a hammock), a marmot wandered through my site and literally right underneath me. Little buggers are everywhere and adorable. Great hike, starts off nice and easy, and then an enjoyable amount of elevation gain for the last third or so of the hike in. Lots of sites at the lake, all pretty far from each other. Fishing is apparently pretty good too, according to a few guys I talked to on the way in.

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Great hike. Done it twice first time we used the helicopter place to fly to lake of the falls and got married there. second time was our one year anniversary which we hiked in. Start of hike is quite easy but gets challenging in places. one spot is brutally rocky and easy to twist an ankle. some of the bridges are in poor condition. There are a few river crossings. Very cold water. A lot of helicopter traffic during the day. strongly recommend.

Monday, December 12, 2016

Amazing hike, breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains and a pretty remote area. Didn't make it all the way to the lake, stopped about a mile short of it and made camp because the rest of the way was under waist-deep snow. This was during the last week of June. Trail is pretty hard to follow in places; had to bushwhack to find the trail after the Landslide Lake trail junction. There's also a couple stream crossings; one crossing was about knee-deep. Saw some mountain sheep on the hoodoos by the Cline River and a moose. Woke up the next morning to find fresh cougar tracks near my tent.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Great hike. Did return trip in one day. Took about 12.5 hours. Went it September. The Lake was beautiful. The trail is hard to follow at some points. There are flags that mark the way

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

Beauty of a trail! Easy warmup in first 2/3, then some decent elevation for the last bit before the valley meadow. Will likely go back next year and spend a few days going to Landslide / Lake of the falls again.

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Hiked the Lake of the Falls trail in August of 2016. This was my first backcountry trip ever, so don't have much to compare it too. The final destination was unreal. Beautiful lake in a majestic mountain valley. The trail itself is uphill most of the way and ended up as 18.8 km (each way) on my gps. It is not a simple hike by an means and has two really steep ascents between the lake of falls/landslide lake junction and the final destination. Do not underestimate this trail.

The trail after the junction is a bit washed out and difficult to navigate. Try and cross the creek to the right side (as you go to the lake of the falls) shortly after the junction so you can find the trail again. Otherwise you might end up bushwhacking for a while.

The fishing at the lake was good. We caught about 20 trout in a day using both spinners and flies.

I would definitely go back. Beautiful location.

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

This year the bridges across creeks were washed-out, so it made the trip more entertaining and adventurous! Beautiful jem in the mountains.

Saturday, May 14, 2016

This is probably one of my favorite hike in this area! I've been there many times. No real campsites, but numerous fire pits which indicate at least someone camped there. Fishing is great. Lots of Bulls and cutthroats!

Thursday, August 17, 2017