Lake Agnes Trail to Plain of Six Glaciers Trail Loop

Lake Agnes Trail to Plain of Six Glaciers Trail Loop is a 10.8 kilometer heavily trafficked loop trail located near Improvement District No. 9, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

10.8 km
673 m

This was easily one of my favorite hikes ever, but be mindful that this route stops before you actually get to the final tea house and viewpoint. Expect an extra couple of miles (we made it to the second tea house, and my data had me at 13.2 miles all said and done once back). In my opinion, the toughest part of the trail is getting to Lake Agnes. Even though there’s a steep slope to get up the Big Beehive, it’s fairly easy because of the switchbacks, and very short. Also, Little Beehive has the best view of Lake Louise and the surrounding ranges (also my opinion), so don’t skip out on that.

Coming down the back of Big Beehive is extremely easy, and there isn’t much for difficulty the rest of the way to the Plain of the Six Glaciers. I didn’t make it to the final viewpoint, but you’re still rewarded with amazing views for much of the way. We went in early June and there was significant snow in several spots, both at Agnes/Beehives, and near the end of the leg in. Coming back out was a cinch, but make sure you have bear spray because we saw a mom with cubs across Louise as we were returning. Altogether, phenomenal hike with tons to see!

Take bug spray! Mosquitoes were terrible!!!

Take bug spray! Mosquitoes were terrible!!!

There is Little Beehive and Big Beehive; we loved the views from Little Beehive better. Agnes Lake is impressive as you climb up the trail to 6 Glaciers; the blue color is seen then. There is a Tea House at Lake Agnes and also by the Glacier. The Tea House by the Glacier was very cozy while we waited out a rainstorm. On the way back, we were lucky enough to see an avalanche in the distance on the glacier. Nice hike.

Great hike, you’ll meet people from all over he works hiking these trails. We took our dog but wouldn’t of that again as it does get very busy. Great views, great rest stops, bring cash for the tea houses they don’t disappoint!

The big beehive was probably the best view we had in all of Canada. When you stack that up with a trip to the tea house, this hike made our trip.

I loved this trail! It was just difficult for me to really make it worth it fighting through the crowd. It provided great views and I loved all the different lakes we saw. The bugs were not so great at some times, but my bug bracelets worked well. Definitely had to side step horse poop, but you are in the woods so who cares?

I love the views once you're above the lake, and Lake Agnes to me is quintessential Rockies. I like this loop as a more challenging alternative than "just" visiting one of the tea houses.

My preference is to walk this counterclockwise, so that you can get the uphill sections done sooner, and also because I find the downhill sections at the back of the lake more approachable.

Bring cash for the tea house.

Take the time to explore around the beehive. The views are incredible.

Amazing views atop the Big Beehive, we took the trail counter clockwise and would recommend it because coming down from the beehive viewpoint towards Lake Agnes has steep cliff edges and going up that way was much safer than going down. Only hard part was going up towards the Big Beehive but it was well worth it. Definitely recommend this loop if you come to Lake Louise.

The trail is very busy, due to Lake Louise fame, so it gives some familial ambiance. It is relatively easy, except the Big Beehive ascent, and offers good views on the Lake Louise and the glaciers.

Tips: if you have time or walk fast, complete your circuit by the Beehive Circuit and the Plain of glaciers lookout which is worth the extra path (after Tea house) (shared the recording).
In total, it gave a 20km hike or so, so a good walk with many different perspectives :)

Beautiful hike with lots to see. The trek to the top of Big Beehive is hard, and I’d recommend hiking poles and boots. A lot of people end up going back down the way they came, but it’s all new scenery if you do this loop!

We did this clockwise, starting with lake Agnes and big beehive, and added on the plain of 6 glaciers tea house. Roughly 10 miles in 5 hrs, with a stop at the tea house. Absolutely stunning views all along the way. It was pretty well trafficked close to both tea houses but we had some nice stretches of solitude. Some good heavy climbs.

Hot tip: there is a shuttle from Banff train station to the lake for $10 round trip. Leaves every hour or so. If you want to avoid the parking hassle, it’s a good option. Show up 15 min before departure to get a ticket.

Also a word on crowds in the summer (since there is a lot of discussion about it). Have you been to Rome? Been to Paris? This isn’t nearly that bad. You might have to search for a parking spot or jostle near the head of the lake but it’s just not as crazy as the forums would lead you to believe.

I try to do this hike every year it’s one of my favourite hikes. Only problem is it’s hard to do on weekend cause so much tourist so if you see you got to start very early on the weekend or yuh do it during the week. Its a fun hike. Not to east and not to hard

My favourite hike in the Rockies! Amazing views to Lake Louise, Lake Agnes & Bow Valley. Must do! Plan one whole day in order to enjoy the landscape and don‘t forget to bring enough water and food with you (although there are 2 Teahouses - crowded). Bug Spray might be good as well.

Did this hike clockwise (Plain of Six Glaciers, Highline Trail to Lake Agnes, Mirror Lake and return on Lake Agnes trail) to enjoy forested shade in the afternoon. Departed Lake Louise at 8 AM and returned at 2:45 PM with stops at the Plain of Six Glaciers teahouse, side trip out to the lookout, lunch at Lake Agnes and a quick stop at Mirror Lake. Good views and photo opportunities, forward and backwards. Wildflowers and two ice falls reverberating in the canyon, too. The trails got a lot more crowded the later the time. Definitely not best for tennis shoes or flip flops, although we saw hikers in them. Sufficient water required for length of hike, significant altitude gain, and weather.

Great hike in Banff National Park. Start at Lake Louise behind the Fairmont and follow the well marked trails to the first tea house, which is a couple of miles in, and then to the second tea house, which is 5 or 6 miles in. The people who work at the first one hike in and out every day, and the people who work at the 2nd tea house stay there for 5 days straight. They have refreshments, tea, soups and cakes, etc. (Bring cash) Love this hike!

My daughter and I did this hike on July 11, 2018. It took us about six hours but we did stop for tea at Lake Agnes tea house. The trail is well marked. We left the parking lot at 7:30. Arriving any later would mean not parking in the Lake Louise parking lot. You'd need to park in the overflow lot and take the shuttle. My daughter is twenty and super fit. I'm in fair shape but I do have an injured knee. She paced the hike according to my ability. We had a great time. You need cash for the tea house. We bought two teas and two biscuits at the Lake Agnes tea house and it cost $21 plus tip (ouch!). The service was very slow. We skipped service at the second tea house and ate our sandwiches at the many benches. The weather was gorgeous. You need LOTS of bug spray because there are lots of mosquitoes. I should have used more sunscreen. Bring plenty of water. One thing that did surprise us was there was more snow on the way to the Plain of Six Glaciers than we expected. It was wet on the trail and muddy in some parts. You need good shoes. It gets chilly when you are sitting and resting. There are so many tourists (even on a Wednesday), you have no worries about bears. It is totally worth going to either tea house. You do need to be fit but pacing is everything on a hike.

beautiful hike only four stars because of the crowds and limited parking

Must do.

I thought this was a wonderful trail for my skill level. I am in shape but not someone who has hiked my whole life. The hike was a loop from the touristy part of lake Louise and back so nice for those driving to lake Louise to easily get back to your car. Definitely get there early. If we hadn’t, the experience would have been worse as it got a lot busier on the last part of our hike back by the lake. We started hiking around 8 am and we had many stretches we were on our own but when we got back towards lake Louise it was a mad house of tourists. The switchback to get up to big beehive was no joke but very rewarding when finished as you get to take in the views up there on the lookout and they did not disappoint. Absolutely breathtaking! This hike definitely was physically challenging but very rewarding.

Looks beautiful

This a great trail worth doing. We started at Lake Louise around 8:30am to get a good parking spot. We then hiked the plain of six glaciers trail up to the tea house. It was lovely. There is still snow on parts of it so make sure to bring good waterproof hiking shoes. We then took the highline trail to the Lake Agnes tea house because beehive still has poor conditions. Lake Agnes is definitely more crowded. Overall this trail is definitely worth doing.

Made it up to lake Agnes but couldn’t get over big beehive due to snow covered tracks. Gorgeous views. Little beehive might be more accessible! We did this hike two days ago.

Beginning from Lake Louise, I didn’t do the part over the Big Beehive. There’s too snow and to going down on the Lake Agnes, we had difficulties to see the trail. The snow takes up too much space.
The Lake Agnes isn’t completely melted.

Awesome, I do it all the time

Yes amazing track! If you have the legs, add little behive (and potentially St Piran). But this includes the best. In fact, the 6 glacier was for me the biggest dissappointment of this whole loop

My wife and I hiked to the tea house, got a spot of tea, then went all the way to the end. Gorgeous view of glaciers and mountains. Even heard an avalanche come down off one of the glaciers. Little crowded but an enjoyable hike

Amazing trail!