Lake Agnes Trail to Plain of Six Glaciers Trail Loop

Lake Agnes Trail to Plain of Six Glaciers Trail Loop is a 10.8 kilometer heavily trafficked loop trail located near Improvement District No. 9, Alberta, Canada that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

10.8 km
673 m

My daughter and I did this hike on July 11, 2018. It took us about six hours but we did stop for tea at Lake Agnes tea house. The trail is well marked. We left the parking lot at 7:30. Arriving any later would mean not parking in the Lake Louise parking lot. You'd need to park in the overflow lot and take the shuttle. My daughter is twenty and super fit. I'm in fair shape but I do have an injured knee. She paced the hike according to my ability. We had a great time. You need cash for the tea house. We bought two teas and two biscuits at the Lake Agnes tea house and it cost $21 plus tip (ouch!). The service was very slow. We skipped service at the second tea house and ate our sandwiches at the many benches. The weather was gorgeous. You need LOTS of bug spray because there are lots of mosquitoes. I should have used more sunscreen. Bring plenty of water. One thing that did surprise us was there was more snow on the way to the Plain of Six Glaciers than we expected. It was wet on the trail and muddy in some parts. You need good shoes. It gets chilly when you are sitting and resting. There are so many tourists (even on a Wednesday), you have no worries about bears. It is totally worth going to either tea house. You do need to be fit but pacing is everything on a hike.

Must do.

I thought this was a wonderful trail for my skill level. I am in shape but not someone who has hiked my whole life. The hike was a loop from the touristy part of lake Louise and back so nice for those driving to lake Louise to easily get back to your car. Definitely get there early. If we hadn’t, the experience would have been worse as it got a lot busier on the last part of our hike back by the lake. We started hiking around 8 am and we had many stretches we were on our own but when we got back towards lake Louise it was a mad house of tourists. The switchback to get up to big beehive was no joke but very rewarding when finished as you get to take in the views up there on the lookout and they did not disappoint. Absolutely breathtaking! This hike definitely was physically challenging but very rewarding.

This a great trail worth doing. We started at Lake Louise around 8:30am to get a good parking spot. We then hiked the plain of six glaciers trail up to the tea house. It was lovely. There is still snow on parts of it so make sure to bring good waterproof hiking shoes. We then took the highline trail to the Lake Agnes tea house because beehive still has poor conditions. Lake Agnes is definitely more crowded. Overall this trail is definitely worth doing.

Made it up to lake Agnes but couldn’t get over big beehive due to snow covered tracks. Gorgeous views. Little beehive might be more accessible! We did this hike two days ago.

Beginning from Lake Louise, I didn’t do the part over the Big Beehive. There’s too snow and to going down on the Lake Agnes, we had difficulties to see the trail. The snow takes up too much space.
The Lake Agnes isn’t completely melted.

My wife and I hiked to the tea house, got a spot of tea, then went all the way to the end. Gorgeous view of glaciers and mountains. Even heard an avalanche come down off one of the glaciers. Little crowded but an enjoyable hike

stunning all around we Really liked it

Great views and not too difficult of a hike.

Got an early 7am start on this trail to avoid the crowds, it worked beautifully. A fantastic day and beautiful views. Make sure to carry a little cash for stopping at the tea houses.

Early start on the Ag trail first up to the tea house then over to high line trail connecting to the six glacier trail

Beautiful views over Lake Louise

Monday, July 10, 2017

Starting from the Chateau Lake Louise, the Lake Agnes Trail starts you on an intense and quick elevation gain. This part of the trail is very wide and in some portions the path is paved, also, you will have to contend with passing horses and their manure. When you get to Lake Agnes you can stop for Tea while admiring the lake. You continue by walking around Lake Agnes, at this point you will be exposed to the elements as there are no trees in this area. Now will come the climb to the top of Big Bee Hive, here the path zigzags in order to gain the most altitude within the smallest surface area. Reaching the top, you get the relax and admire the most stunning views of Lake Louise and the Chateau. Spend some time at the top as it is flat and each area offers different vistas. Now you start the decent, this steady drop in elevation will take place within a thick forest, not too difficult but pay attention where you plant your foot. Eventually you reach the Highline Trail where you should take a right (taking a left will take you back to the tea house). Continue on the Highline Trail until you reach a sign saying Lake Louise 5KM. Take this beautiful hillside trail(open trail, no trees but lots of flowers) all the way to the Plain of Six Glaciers trail. From you the path takes you down to the Lake Louise where you walk on a mostly flat and wide trail. It took us five and half leisurely hours to complete this trail. Great loop that offers a bit of everything.