Lady Macdonald Teahouse Trail

Lady Macdonald Teahouse Trail is a 8.7 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Canmore, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

8.7 km
1,015 m

Rated hard.. it mean it. Not for average joe Doe.!! Make sure you are physically fit for this hike.

Lady Macdonald is a tough hike and not for the faint of heart. It is tougher than Ha Ling Peak because you are going uphill continually. The slope can be quite steep at times and towards the upper half, there are lots of boulders and rocks. If you’re young it’s not a big deal but my husband and I are both over 55 so it’s tougher to balance. Walking sticks for our age is a must with good hiking boots. The distance was over 11 km and took us about 5 1/2 hrs. Coming downhill is tough on the knees and again the sticks really help. Make sure to wear a hat and use sunscreen if sunny. Despite it being partly in the woods, much of the trail is very sunny. Getting to the helipad was worth it though. The view was great and we sat there to eat our packed lunch. You can continue onto the summit but that would like take another hour. And it’s all shale at that point. It’s worth going at least once just so you can say you’ve done it.

Unbelievable views from the ridge. The first 2 hours will kick your ass but well worth every minute. Didn’t use trecking poles but would suggest since the decent can be hard on the knees. Scramble to the true summit was difficult but none less worth it. Lots of loose gravel and would reccomend hiking boots.The ridge walk kicks starts your heart but can be tricky when it’s windy. Moderately trafficked trail with unreal views. By far the hardest hike I’ve done for the first one of the season but well worth it.

I hiked with two full grown children in six hours yesterday. Was a little daunting at first but once you get going it’s a lot of fun. Super hard and my books but definitely worth it in the end. And the kudos for my kids didn’t hurt either. Bring more water than you think you need as you work up a really good sweat.

This was an enjoyable hike. Did this with 3 other ladies and it took us 4 hours with a 20 min lunch at the heli pad. A bit of snow flurries and lots of wind. We would have loved to go the ridge but with the wind we were a bit unsettled. Very happy for my poles!
This was the final hike for our Canmore triple crown so we went into the Georgetown inn and got a free Diet Coke (we don’t drink beer) and ordered our triple crown t shirt.

Would do it again. Ridge not for the faint of heart.

Great challenging trail which is easy to follow up to the summit.
I Just wanted to pop up a little warning, yesterday (Tuesday 19th) I saw what I am 99% sure was a Cougar's tail hanging off a rock on the trail. We called Parks and received advice which we followed. As there were only 3 of us, we decided to turn back but were lucky to be able to join a big hiking group and proceeded to the summit. Just be aware up there and pack your bear spray

Great workout , almost easy to remain on the trail ( could go off course sometimes so this App ended up very useful ) . Need gloves because scrambling is inevitable . Almost NO litter along the trail which makes it a gem . Allow yourself the whole day unless you are young and an athlete . My poles were VERY useful too .

Tough uphill slog the whole way but really enjoyed it. Stopped at helipad, views across to Ha Ling and EEOR are pretty cool

Not a technical hike, but it is a long.
DO NOT stop at the helipad. Stop, catch your breathe and grab a bite to eat, then put your head down and keep putting 1 foot in front of the other!
Great views from the top.
The knife edge I found not to be very difficult. Good sturdy rocks for your feet and hands.
I lack a certain fear of heights though. It's not for those that aren't ready to conquer that fear.

Knew I didn’t want to summit so I stayed at the platform (800m elevation gain) and waited for my friend to summit (1200m elevation). Lots of other people were doing the same thing. Lots of people went from tree line to skyline but lost their nerve to get to the true summit. Steep yet stable trail to tree line. Expect scree and scrambles and a narrow ridge for the summit.

This is a really tough trail for beginners. The first 2 hours are absolutely awful. The view is beautiful at the top but coming from the prairies with little hiking opportunities, this was really hard.

Did this one in the rain and it just kicked my ass the whole way up and most of the way down. 95% of the trail is quite steep and there is a section with large boulders that requires hands as well as a challenging 15-30min scramble at the top. I went on may 17 and there was essentially no snow on the trail aside from some trace amounts near the helipad. I wouldn't recommend doing this trail in the rain as it's steepness was hard on the knees and made for a slippery decent on which i slipped in the mud atleast 3 times on the way down. Despite this I loved the hike, there was an especially beautiful section with a ridge looking over some plainlike hills just before helipad in addition to many great views along the way.

PS. there was a some odd bird along the path that had a pulsating "opening" on it's neck that was white on the edge and red in the centre, its nest was nearby so I stayed back and just took pictures but overall pretty neat

This was a real muscle killer but a beautiful hike and definitely worth doing! Last year we did this later in the season but this year it was our second hike, so we weren’t in shape yet and the ascent was long and steep. At the top there are 3 beautiful false summits and one beautiful real sunny with some tricky scrambling to get to. Totally worth it though! The descent is much easier with poles!

A very steep trail the whole way up with little to no flat sections and some minimal bolder climbing. I climbed to the helicopter pad in 2 hours. The views were amazing and the trail was the perfect length for a nice afternoon hike. the distance from Canmore made this trial very convenient. I definitely recommend this trail to travellers staying in Canmore.

Three of us and a dog went up today. It was a grunt the entire way to the top- beautiful view and blue skies. Sunscreen and a hat are a must! Trail was clear and little snow at the top! We will be doing this again soon!

Did this hike on May 5 and it was the perfect day. No snow or ice on the trail..it was actually quite dry. This hike is relentless. Straight up until you hit the helipad, which is a great place for a break. Many people stop here and then turn around. We went on the the top. Thus is even more gruelling, but worth it. If you make it this far you might as well walk the ridge. Sketchy in areas but a great accomplishment if you can do it. Bring lots of water.

Great hike! First section is pretty steep but it levels out a bit. Perfect place to watch the sunset!

Great hike couple ice spots but mostly really great trail will be doing it again day was sunny and beautiful

Great trail! Was very icy and slippery as you got close to the tea house, but otherwise a beauty trip on this mountain.

Loved this hike. Definitely a work out but nothing too strenuous. We did it with crampons and they were definitely helpful. View at the top is amazing. Took us about 4 hours total.

Very cool hike. There’s a few steep sections where you have to work but in general the incline isn’t anything too tough. Hiking the ridge by the tea house is very fun. Definitely recommend it.

Great hike - can really push yourself and make good time up and down the trail. Good view of the valley and Canmore throughout. Incredible at the top, to peak over the massive cliff.
Tea house is interesting.
Done this hike a couple times.
Prepare for more exposure to the sun and heat than covered hikes

Expect

Great winter hike. Snow was pretty packed down and not much ice.

No wonder why everyone loves this hike. Fantastic views the whole way. Good physical challenge and a well worn path. A bit too busy for my liking especially on the weekend. Lots of fun.

good little scramble to the ridge

Nice views from the tea house platform. The route was fun, challenging, and various different terrains. Pretty busy with hikers by early afternoon.

Beautiful hike, lots of good elevation right from the get go to get the heart rate up. Couldn’t do the ridge walk unfortunately due to incoming winds and the drop in temp plus the snow but will definitely be back in the summer!

Trail leaves from the centre of Canmore at Cougar Creek. Can be busy; so go mid week and early in the day. In view of the town throughout. A bit scrambly higher up; otherwise excellent trail. Most turn around at the helicopter pad. No water on trail.

I love this trail. Right in my backyard.