Lady Macdonald Teahouse Trail

Lady Macdonald Teahouse Trail is a 8.7 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Canmore, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

8.7 km
1015 m

This is a really tough trail for beginners. The first 2 hours are absolutely awful. The view is beautiful at the top but coming from the prairies with little hiking opportunities, this was really hard.

Did this one in the rain and it just kicked my ass the whole way up and most of the way down. 95% of the trail is quite steep and there is a section with large boulders that requires hands as well as a challenging 15-30min scramble at the top. I went on may 17 and there was essentially no snow on the trail aside from some trace amounts near the helipad. I wouldn't recommend doing this trail in the rain as it's steepness was hard on the knees and made for a slippery decent on which i slipped in the mud atleast 3 times on the way down. Despite this I loved the hike, there was an especially beautiful section with a ridge looking over some plainlike hills just before helipad in addition to many great views along the way.

PS. there was a some odd bird along the path that had a pulsating "opening" on it's neck that was white on the edge and red in the centre, its nest was nearby so I stayed back and just took pictures but overall pretty neat

This was a real muscle killer but a beautiful hike and definitely worth doing! Last year we did this later in the season but this year it was our second hike, so we weren’t in shape yet and the ascent was long and steep. At the top there are 3 beautiful false summits and one beautiful real sunny with some tricky scrambling to get to. Totally worth it though! The descent is much easier with poles!

A very steep trail the whole way up with little to no flat sections and some minimal bolder climbing. I climbed to the helicopter pad in 2 hours. The views were amazing and the trail was the perfect length for a nice afternoon hike. the distance from Canmore made this trial very convenient. I definitely recommend this trail to travellers staying in Canmore.

Three of us and a dog went up today. It was a grunt the entire way to the top- beautiful view and blue skies. Sunscreen and a hat are a must! Trail was clear and little snow at the top! We will be doing this again soon!

Did this hike on May 5 and it was the perfect day. No snow or ice on the trail..it was actually quite dry. This hike is relentless. Straight up until you hit the helipad, which is a great place for a break. Many people stop here and then turn around. We went on the the top. Thus is even more gruelling, but worth it. If you make it this far you might as well walk the ridge. Sketchy in areas but a great accomplishment if you can do it. Bring lots of water.

Great hike! First section is pretty steep but it levels out a bit. Perfect place to watch the sunset!

Great hike couple ice spots but mostly really great trail will be doing it again day was sunny and beautiful

Great trail! Was very icy and slippery as you got close to the tea house, but otherwise a beauty trip on this mountain.

Loved this hike. Definitely a work out but nothing too strenuous. We did it with crampons and they were definitely helpful. View at the top is amazing. Took us about 4 hours total.

Very cool hike. There’s a few steep sections where you have to work but in general the incline isn’t anything too tough. Hiking the ridge by the tea house is very fun. Definitely recommend it.

Great hike - can really push yourself and make good time up and down the trail. Good view of the valley and Canmore throughout. Incredible at the top, to peak over the massive cliff.
Tea house is interesting.
Done this hike a couple times.
Prepare for more exposure to the sun and heat than covered hikes

Expect

Great winter hike. Snow was pretty packed down and not much ice.

No wonder why everyone loves this hike. Fantastic views the whole way. Good physical challenge and a well worn path. A bit too busy for my liking especially on the weekend. Lots of fun.

good little scramble to the ridge

Nice views from the tea house platform. The route was fun, challenging, and various different terrains. Pretty busy with hikers by early afternoon.

Beautiful hike, lots of good elevation right from the get go to get the heart rate up. Couldn’t do the ridge walk unfortunately due to incoming winds and the drop in temp plus the snow but will definitely be back in the summer!

Trail leaves from the centre of Canmore at Cougar Creek. Can be busy; so go mid week and early in the day. In view of the town throughout. A bit scrambly higher up; otherwise excellent trail. Most turn around at the helicopter pad. No water on trail.

I love this trail. Right in my backyard.

A good one to do early in the day. Well worth it for the view.

Amazing hike to do in the spring when one side of the ridge is snowy and the other melted. Incredible view at the teahouse foundation.

My first hike in Canada on 11 August, a lovely but hot day. The trail was very easy to find and follow, and although steep rewarded me with lovely views all the way up. From the Cougar Creek car park up and down took me 3hrs 45, going at a good pace but stopping to take photos. The summit ridge needs to be taken seriously as the exposure is quite severe, but is a wonderful experience as long as you are comfortable scrambling at altitude. I took 3 litres of water which was just enough. Boots are better than trainers for the top part beyond the helipad as there is lots of loose scree.

Just finished my hike to the peak and wow was it worth it. I headed out alone but met up with two fellow hikers that really helped with the climb. Definitely not for beginners as the terrain gets real slippy in places.
Well worth the leg ache though. Views from the top are spectacular!

I did last friday ! Beautiful view on Canmore

What an amazing up hill trek to the best views of Canmore and surrounding areas. When I say up hill, it's a steep incline all the way up hill from the trail head to the end. Not for the unfit by any means as this was probably one of the hardest trails my wife and I have done, but worth every step as you stand at the top and take it all in.

On our first full day in Canmore, we wanted to get our bearings and take it slow before fully diving into what all Banff and Canmore had to offer.

We chose Lady Macdonald and initially regretted the decision due to the immediate steepness of the trail. The steepness never let up.

Lady Mac was relentless.

The reward at the top was all worth it.

She gives and she takes.

I wouldn't consider this hike family-friendly or beginner-friendly. Trekking poles were a must.

Amazing hike. Steep inclines payoff with amazing views and a long ridge scramble to the true summit, which is marked by a large cairn. Very popular hike so before 8 am to get a parking spot during summer months. My track is accurate to the TRUE summit across the ridge where you will find a large cairn making the end of the ridge and the turn around point. Enjoy!

Absolutely loved this hike. We did the ridge walk as well and this hike had it all. Easier trails, scrambling over boulders, scree and some traversing on the ridge. Challenging in every way. Was about 5km to true summit. We struggled more on the long descent with leg fatigue (being edmontonians) but the ascent was very rewarding! Definitely do it again. We saw two girls (12 and 9) make it to the ridge walk section which was amazing (they were locals!!).

This is a steep hike and there is no shade or water for dogs so pack extra! The views however are absolutely stunning and the hike itself is challenging but rewarding.
The only reason I gave 4 stars is because it was heavily trafficked, quite congested at some points and some people were quite rude that I had a dog which took out some of the peace and enjoyment that I look for in a hike.

Steep, bring extra water especially since there's not much shade. Great views! ☀️