Lady Macdonald Teahouse Trail

Lady Macdonald Teahouse Trail is a 9.2 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Canmore, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

9.2 km
1113 m

What an amazing up hill trek to the best views of Canmore and surrounding areas. When I say up hill, it's a steep incline all the way up hill from the trail head to the end. Not for the unfit by any means as this was probably one of the hardest trails my wife and I have done, but worth every step as you stand at the top and take it all in.

On our first full day in Canmore, we wanted to get our bearings and take it slow before fully diving into what all Banff and Canmore had to offer.

We chose Lady Macdonald and initially regretted the decision due to the immediate steepness of the trail. The steepness never let up.

Lady Mac was relentless.

The reward at the top was all worth it.

She gives and she takes.

I wouldn't consider this hike family-friendly or beginner-friendly. Trekking poles were a must.

Amazing hike. Steep inclines payoff with amazing views and a long ridge scramble to the true summit, which is marked by a large cairn. Very popular hike so before 8 am to get a parking spot during summer months. My track is accurate to the TRUE summit across the ridge where you will find a large cairn making the end of the ridge and the turn around point. Enjoy!

Absolutely loved this hike. We did the ridge walk as well and this hike had it all. Easier trails, scrambling over boulders, scree and some traversing on the ridge. Challenging in every way. Was about 5km to true summit. We struggled more on the long descent with leg fatigue (being edmontonians) but the ascent was very rewarding! Definitely do it again. We saw two girls (12 and 9) make it to the ridge walk section which was amazing (they were locals!!).

This is a steep hike and there is no shade or water for dogs so pack extra! The views however are absolutely stunning and the hike itself is challenging but rewarding.
The only reason I gave 4 stars is because it was heavily trafficked, quite congested at some points and some people were quite rude that I had a dog which took out some of the peace and enjoyment that I look for in a hike.

Steep, bring extra water especially since there's not much shade. Great views! ☀️

Views were amazing! Had witness to an unreal inversion! Worth the final scramble to the true summit!