Learn more

Kinglet Lake is a 7.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Nordegg, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until August.

Distance: 7.2 miles Elevation Gain: 2,582 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Hiked it June 26; a good climb up to where the marker splits off to TuffPuff; where it levels off until the creek then a good climb again until the lake. Met a few overnighters coming down who confirmed the path that loops up to TuffPuff was snowed over. Lake was beautiful; no ice but snow around the lake. Light rain added to the challenge of shale path on the way down. Roughly 2.75 hrs up & 2.25 hours down with 1/2 hour lunch & looking around the lake. Lots of wildflowers & great scenery. Plus 19 degrees at the base with no wind or rain; but a lot cooler & breezier at the lake. Would go again in late July when the snow is off and complete the loop to Tuff Puff. And would bring hiking poles!

Quite the uphill battle until you get to the path towards Kinglet, nice break between there and the creek and after that it becomes a little tough again. Did not make it to the lake as we lost the path when the snow got deep, still made the most of it! Great views with a bit of a challenge, very rewarding trail. If you’re looking for a bit of a leg burner this is the trail for you.

Nice hike with good views. A long steep up hill from the creek crossing till you get to the lake. Still quite alot of snow that you have to hike though for the last few hundred meters and most of the campsites are under snow. The lake is partially frozen still. Camped for 2 nights below 0 and snowed on the last night.

icy

Relentless climb for the first 3ish kms. But the views were amazing. Didn't get to finish as we started too late in the day. But as of June 6 there was no snow as far as we got (the creek at 3.3kms) but lots of elevation after that point.

Yes, all reviews correct. A hike with relentless up hill hiking for 70% of it. As of May 30, snow at the last 200 m made it frustratingly slow but the teens thought that made the hike fun. Lake was frozen over still so probably a mid-June hike for that beautiful lake experience and to condition thyself!

This was an amazing hike, even though we feel that we bit a little more off than we can chew! It was an ambitious hike for us as new hikers. We didn't make it to the lake as we met another hiker who indicated it was still frozen and had deep snow on the way. May have been optimistic leading up to it, but I am looking forward to doing it again.

I saw many people wearing regular runners. I imagine it made this tough hike even tougher. Small rocks and loose dirt made some steep inclines a bit slidy even for grippy hiking shoes. That 3-foot-deap snow at the end made it fun for sure. I went to the right at the shore line of the lake and went through the snow to find my foot submerged in the icy cold water. Wish I kept to the left. Beautiful hike. Recommend hiking poles as well. My prevented a couple of falls on my bum going down.

Great hike with exceptional views. Very windy in some spots. The inclines are intense, I consider my self very fit and this was a burner for sure! Moderate hmmmm. Seen bear skat down close to the lake not sure how fresh it was. Snow covered for a bit getting closer to the lake.

First off this hike has unreal views. However this is not a moderate hike. I’m a pretty fit young guy and those inclines are no joke. The lake is all worth the pain I promise you that. Happy hiking!

This was a BEAUTIFUL hike however, I strongly disagree that this is considerate a moderate hike. I found ascent and descent were both difficult. I strongly urge everyone to have walking poles or sticks for this hike. It's literally 5.5 km up the damn mountain, but the lake at the top is gorgeous! I wouldn't consider this hike child friendly but definitely dog friendly.

I have a problem with stopping the recording....

Really nice trail! I definitely thought it was challenging with all of the elevation gain. There was a nice variety of terrain. I’m tempted to say it’s “hard” just because of how steep some of the parts are, which also makes it difficult to come down. Up at the lake, there are lots of spots to camp. It’s really quite beautiful up there! It is very windy and chilly, so make sure to bring a warm jacket. Hiking poles will be your best friend on this hike.

Well marked and beautiful trail. There’s a fair amount of incline going to the lake but the destination is so worth it! We were backpacking and it took us about 3 hours up and 2 coming down with our gear. The trial gets slick on the way down with packs but there are side trails if you find it dicey ☺️ At least half a dozen campsites and even on the long weekend there were enough for all the backpackers.

Beautiful hike! Enjoyed the variety of terrain and relaxing beside the lake fishing. 2 hrs up and 1 hr 25 minutes down. Definitely bring hiking poles.

beautiful hike but not for the faint of heart. did this yesterday with my spouse for the first time, was mostly uphill with a short level area. we took overnight packs and did a one night trip. the lake was beautiful and full of fish who where jumping for bugs all evening, was really kicking ourselves for not bringing fishing gear. will definately do this hike again but intend to plan out our packs a little better. took us 4 hours up and 3 down as we are newbies and not yet the fastest.

Beautiful hike. Did this yesterday, July 6. Trail is in great shape despite all the rain. Took us 2 hours up and 1:30 down.

Mon Jul 01 2019

Did this hike with my four kids (5,7,9,11) and our dog today. The trail is great and easy to follow. This hike has a little bit of everything, and is very enjoyable. The climbs are steep and fairly long but roots and rocks provide good footing and there are a few sections where it levels out for a while providing a rest for the legs. Took us 2:45 on the way up and 1:45 on the way down.

Sat Jun 29 2019

This is one of my favourite hikes! The trail is well marked and steep in spots. When you get to the lake it’s got a deep Marl colour to it with a cliff face on the side of it which makes for excellent pictures! I do this hike twice a season and highly recommend it for hikers of all fitness levels!

Mon Jun 24 2019

Trail running. Only made it to where the trail splits to Kinglet Lake on the left and Tuff Puff on the right (rain storm was coming). Beautiful views, the trail is fairly “open” and you climb through meadows. Not overly technical in that first portion, one steep climb (that you can see from the highway) therefore would recommend that beginners have good shoes with grip. We brought our dog on leash.

Sun Jun 23 2019

June 21/22 very beautiful hike! lots of elevation gain. Had hoped to camp at the lake but due to snow/bad conditons lost the trail and decided to go back and camp on a ridge. Certain parts of the trail were very slippery and muddy. Second day we saw a lot of other hikers + weather was better so following the path/lake was probably more attainable. Would definitely recommend and will be back.

Sat Jun 15 2019

Was very thankful for other reviews giving information for this on where to park and then to stay left from the start. We almost took a path to the Icefield Loop off the start but luckily read other comments. It was really wet today which made most parts slippery. Fairly challenging for a beginner but probably moderate for more experienced hikers. Sometimes the trail and incline seems relentless but once you get to the lake it’s lovely and peaceful. We were the only ones on the trail this morning but met 2 groups going up as we were coming down to stay over. Bring clothes for everything from sun to snow and consider a change of socks for the truck down.

Sat Jun 01 2019

Much harder then moderate specially once you arrive to the scramble portion. Gorgeous views tho and well worth the effort.

Tue Apr 09 2019

*April 7,2019* decent slope up quite early in the trek but you gain elevation fast while the legs are fresh. levels out through a meadow for a bit then the uphill starts again. trail is bare and dry for most of the hike snow at the creek crossing sections. **5km mark **I did not make it to the lake due to waist deep snow** and no clear trail to be seen . so close, yet so far. snowshoes would have made the lake achievable. Will go back in about a month for 2nd attempt.

Sat Dec 08 2018

Love this hike! A little bit of everything. Great for an overnight.

Sun Aug 19 2018

From Nordegg- Approximately 4km past Two OClock rec area turn off. There's a small pull out on right side of road by a small creek. There is a sign for Kinglet Lake. Walk down old road and find prominent path. Stay left while heading up, incline starts fairly quickly. Steep hike up to a meadow. There will be a trail marker for Tuff Puff Ridge going right, kinglet going left. Kinglet was a beautiful, steep hike up. Great cutthroat fishing at the lake and very light traffic. Views weren't spectacular as BC fire haze created very poor visibility, but I'm sure they'd be amazing on a clear day. Great hike regardless and not one to be taken lightly.. hiking shoes are a must. Round trip for us was approx 4 hrs