Learn more

King Creek Ridge is a 4.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Kananaskis Improvement, Alberta, Canada that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.4 miles Elevation Gain: 2,614 feet Route Type: Out & Back

07/03 We used King Creek Ridge as our connector and route down from our Mount Hood scramble. The views from the summit are spectacular and some of the best I’ve seen on a moderate ridge. I say moderate because every review on here is subjective and I’m not here to impress anyone with my hiking skills and say “ pfffft beginner hike, this was so easy.” For an experienced hiker this is not hard, technically. The path is straight forward and you’ll always know where you’re going. But like any mountain, it goes up and gets your heart rate going.” It’s enjoyable. For the intermediate hiker it’s perfect. No scrambling, it’s very smooth, steep, but nothing ridiculous. For the beginner hiker, this might or might not be a good introduction to hiking. It’s not overly long but yes, it is steep so make sure your fitness level is somewhat decent. The top you might feel intimidating as there is plenty of exposure around those edges ( I know this because we scrambled up the east wall lol...btw, do not try, very dangerous ) but the best part is that you have plenty of room to maneuver around without having to get too close. The views are unreal so make sure you bring that camera. Enjoy !!

The hike should be rated easy/moderate. Great views nonetheless.

I went on July 3rd, and the ground was stable for the most part, not muddy at all. There is no snow at the top that blocks the trail, but most of it is almost gone anyways! The hike up the ridge is tough, with relentless incline for 75% of the hike. Once you get up top, the hike along the ridge becomes easy from there. I do recommend poles for going down as some parts can be steep. The views are amazing the entire way to the true peak. highly recommended!

Did this one today with my partner and it took us 3.5 hours including a few breaks. Had a few small storms with minor rain come through, but even that little bit made it slippery so I wouldn’t recommend hiking when wet. Quite steep at the start as you make your way up to the ridge (for the first 2.5-3km) but once you’re there it’s much easier and the views are gorgeous! Not a super technical hike.

Stunning view and great weather!!

great!

What a rewarding hike this was! The hike is steep to start off (not for beginners) but once it flattens out you get rewarded with amazing view on both sides of the ridge. I would recommend going early in the morning as the trail gets very busy during the day. Good shoes are required because it can get quite slippery on the way down.

The views on this ridge are stunning! Definitely steep up for 2km. I’m an experienced hiker and still found the grade up to be a lot. Once you get to the ridge it is non-stop views. The weather today was perfect and the trail was in great shape. We decided to run down and total it took us 2:50 round trip. 1:30 to peak and then once we decided to go down it was 33 minutes (we were cruising though). Quads will be sore after for sure.

Wow! One of the best views I have seen! A grind up to the ridge but once you are there it’s 360 views all around. Would recommend bringing poles!

Definitely not an easy hike. There is quite the incline right off the hop. The ground is also very uneven for the first bit. I would not complete the hike in running shoes or without poles. The views at the top are beautiful and completely worth the calf burn.

First 2km are steep. Ridge walk is beautiful! Poles are highly recommended.

Did this hike today with my dog. It was pretty steep but beautiful views at the top. The trail was a bit muddy but gave traction, which it probably an asset on this trail due to the steepness.

Lost an iPhone right near the top. If found please email James.p.g.bartlett@gmail.com. Greatly appreciated!!

Hike on June 27, 2020. Amazing hike! Trail is well worn, easy to find and in relatively good condition. Steep grind but totally doable. Would recommend pokes for the descent. Took us 2.5 hours up and 2 hours down with lots of breaks. Happy trails! P.S. we saw three grizzlies across the road as we were leaving the trail head.

This was one of the most stunning hikes I’ve done- ever. Not going to sugarcoat, though. She’s steep. Big pole energy. Just mentally prepare for a lot of relentless incline. After parking in the King Creek lot, go back out the road you came in and take the trail that goes parallel to the highway on the right. You’ll pop up into the forest and start your 3.5ish km ascent into lactic acid town. We found the trail easy to follow and the views are pretty lovely the whole way. After about 2 hours of swearing at the incline, we made it up to the ridge. Just amazing. A false summit leads to 2 real summits- the view is pretty dang similar between them, AKA panoramic and simply incredible. Cue Owen Wilson- “wow.” There was a tick on my backpack during lunch and some skeeters out, so wear bug spray and check yourself and your dogs after. The way down is, well, uncomfortably steep, but taking it slow we still finished in about 3.5 hours overall. A bear was chillin just behind the parking lot, so keep an eye out. Do this hike!

It took us about 4.5 hours return with lots of breaks. Cairn at false summit, the views are worth it if you continue to the second cairn. My dog made it to the top but struggled a bit, an experienced dog would do fine! We somehow ended up taking a second way down which was much more difficult so remember where the main trail is on your way up!

June 25, 2020 | A fantastic hike that is definitely worth the grind! It took us 3.5 hours total, with a significant break at the top for snacks. The trail is easy to find and follow, though there are several other paths that stray from the main one so make sure you are staying alert. Between kilometres 1 and 2 the trail is relentlessly steep, but with lots of breaks in the shade it was totally doable. Tons of different flora to see, we also saw 40 or so mountain goats on a nearby ridge. There were also 3 or 4 faux summits, all of which had great views of Kananaskis Lakes and the surrounding peaks. The trail was quite busy, but this trail is so lovely it makes sense. Highly recommend!

Hiked King Creek Ridge today, began at 9:15am and returned just before 1:00pm, spending a leisurely 30+ minutes enjoying the spectacular views at the top. The first nearly 2 hours of the hike is difficult. Didn't see anyone else on the entire hike up, though while loitering at the summit another small group showed up. Do not underestimate how steep the climb is, the slope just does not let up and the loose dirt/rock of the path adds to the difficulty. There is a log that serves as a bench, marking approximately halfway up the steep portion (about 1 hour left of the steeps). I highly recommend you bring poles which you will find critical on the steep and sketchy descent. Though a tough and steep climb, the views at the top made it all worth it. Once you hit the top of the steep section, you can turn right and walk ~50 metres to one viewpoint before turning around and walking the other direction for about 1km across the ridge which is somewhat flat and quite easy compared to the steep climb prior. Keep going until you see the cairn at which point you can enjoy the wonderful views of the valley. A few tips: First, wear bug spray and reapply multiple times throughout the hike. Second, bring sturdy hiking boots with good grip (as well as poles as I mentioned already) to help prevent slipping on the tricky descent. Third, check the weather forecast in advance of your hike and avoid if there will be rain. It will turn the path on the descent into a muddy and treacherous Slip N' Slide. Finally, bring a camera because the views are magnificent and you'll want to share them with all of your friends.

Steep right from the get go but the climb is worth it for the spectacular views! Wish I had poles coming down, my toes hit the front of my boots all the way down and are now bruised up bad. Fantastic hike otherwise!!

Very scenic! Easier than expected. Trail is well defined and in great condition.

recorded King Creek Ridge

forgot to press end so my time and route is messed but super sick hike for only 3 hours up and down with breaks!! momma bear and cubs were seen at beginning of hike today (june 22nd) but no harm done and overall beautiful hike!! (:

Did the trail today (June 21), conditions were good. Slight bit of snow on top but none on the trail. It’s a steep 2.5km up, then a nice 1km along the ridge to the two peaks. Saw a friendly marmot on top. Out and back took 3.5 hours

The ridge itself is very scenic and not too difficult. If you have the time and the sense of adventure, I would highly recommend linking it up with the King Creek Canyon trail to make a loop. from the low point just before the summit, a steep trail descends a gully and allows you to skirt beneath the cliffs below the summit. We took the avalanche chute just below the summit down to the valley bottom, but you could also try one if the other chutes, or continue on to the ridge if it is free of snow.

Did this hike two weeks ago (June 5) and loved it. It’s a short and sweet grind worth it for the views. Very glad I had poles for the way down as it’s quite steep. There was still some compact snow at the top along the ridge but already post holed so moving through wasn’t bad at all.

it was a great hike!! amazing views at the summit! so worth it..descending was very challenging but the rest was breathtaking experience!!