Junction Hill

Junction Hill is a 8.0 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Kananaskis Improvement District, Alberta, Canada that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September.

8 km
704 m

rock climbing

This was one of the toughest hikes I’ve ever done. There was hardly a trail even visible 90% of the hike. It was almost entirely uphill, and many of those points required straight up climbing.

This was not a moderate hike! It was quite dangerous on the way down as the shale rock was unstable. This hike ended up taking us about six hours. I do not recommend anyone does this unless your a crazy fit thrill seeker.

Without a GPS I would not have made it around that loop - even with GPS we could not find the trail for most of the hike but could at least get a general idea. That meant there was a lot of rough terrain and we had to climb up large rock piles and follow the creek. not well marked or groomed. It was dangerous in areas and was not a moderate hike...
The summit, however, was amazing. 360 view of the mountains - an excellent place for a nap and lunch after a hard climb!
Glad I did not give up...which definately crossed my mind.

A bit of a challenge, but great views all the way. Map on this app is off however. On the decent, stay on the ridge as long as you can vs following the creek out (no path).