Indefatigable Trail is a 6.9 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Kananaskis, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

6.9 km
919 m

30 minutes ago

Extra hard if you walk from the upper lakes parking lot and then climb Indefatigable, named after a ship that sunk in the juit war. Little history of the dirty six or twenty six.

Waist deep snow and very challenging last 150 meters before the summit. The views from the top are amazing.

We were ambitious. Set some pretty lofty goals. But it wasn’t meant to be. Should have known this time of year can bring in some pretty crazy weather, even though the forecast was promising. We came within 50-100 metres of the peak, but found ourselves in waist deep snow and in a thick cloud where we could only see 10 feet in front of us. For safety sake I know we made the right call. We will be back in the summer and finish what we started. Great hike. I’d label it intermediate, but then again we didn’t make it the whole way so that might change.

Hi, Ryan Smith, have you ended up hiking the Indefatigable? My husband and I are interested in finding a group too. Sorry it seems like it is not possible to direct message on All Trails. If you are interested, e-mail me azzucoloto@gmail.com
Thanks!

Have done this trail years ago & remember it being spectacular. However we are thinking of doing it this weekend (ideally Aug 12) and are wondering if anyone is interested in joining us- there are only 2 of us & based on the comments we would like to get to 4+ people for a group. Please message me if you are interested- we like to hike but are not hardcore, by any stretch. Thanks!

Amazing trail.. incredible views! stopped 3/4 of the way because of snow (in july).

recommend doing this with a group as there are lots of grizzlies..we met other hikers that saw multiple bears very close to trail..

definitely worth it. take the ridge up but path down for a different experience..

A fantastic hike! Yes, we did proceed despite the large signage suggesting not to hike this trail but we had to see the views! Carry bear spray and make noise! Unfortunately, we saw no wildlife whatsoever ☹️.

It is pretty much uphill all the way. A little over an hour in, we saw the rocks in the form of an arrow pointing us left. Don’t miss it! Rainfall made it a bit slick on the muddy trail and scramble to the South Summit. Took us about 2 hours. The views are amazing!!!! We descended from there but if you wish, you can go further to the North Summit and go down from there as the trail loops back.

Enjoy!!!

Excellent hike with gorgeous views!

Tough hike but the view is so incredible, it looks like a painting.

We hiked the ridge from the start as thought it would be less chance of bear encounter. Constant climb the whole way, the last 1km has around half the overall elevation gain.

Look out for the arrow of stones for the turn off to the left at the fork, if you carry on to the right you end up at a little lake, from above we saw a grizzly bear eating in that area.

Be prepared but not scared!

Great hike with stunning views! Steep hiking with easy scramble at the very top. The final push to the summit does have exposure.

Trail was in great shape even though it is considered decommissioned. Be extra cautious as you are in bear country. Carry bear spray, be loud, and hike in groups :)

This is one of my most favourite hikes. It has a beautiful lake at the top, a few meadows bursting with flowers of all kinds, and an amazing view of the park (you can even see fossil falls and hidden lake from here). I have hiked it manny times with my family when I was younger. Even after it was decommissioned we have hiked it without any worries.

But huge warning here!! The last time we went we had a bit of a traumatic experience and want to warn people not to make the same mistake. Last time we went up we decided when the trail forks between the trail to the ridge or to the lake we decided to go to the lake first. Halfway down that path we decided to skip it and go through the bushes back to the ridge trail and thank god we did. We got to the point where you first overlook the lake and saw a mother grizzly and her 2 cubs right on the trail where we would have blindly walked in to. We decided to go to the top and keep an eye on them and hope they would walk to the other side of the lake so we could hike down without worry but she landed up going down the path and into the trees. Not sure what to do we though maybe it would be better to go down the back side of the mountain. It was not. We got closer to the bottom and realized that there were cliffs at the bottom so we hiked further in to where we saw a creek we could follow down. The back side of the mountain has allot of fallen over trees due to a past forest fire so that fatigued us a bunch on our way. When we got to the creek it was deeper than we thought and funnelled between 2 cliffs we couldn’t see past. We decided to cross the creek over a sketchy snow bridge. After climbing halfway up the next mountain over witch was practically a cliff climbing up we the bush waked our way down till we found a service road that took us out to the upper lake circle route trail. In all it should have been a 4 hr hike but took us 10hrs and barely made it back before night time. (Our campsite manager actually knew where we were going and said she was gunna wait another hour and then send someone to look for us)

In the end I haven’t done this hike in years but am tempted to do it again this summer. I just warn everyone else to be extra careful on this trail and stay safe. Allot of things could have gone wrong for us that day and we really count ourselves lucky!

Read the sign hikers, the park doesn’t want you on the trail......but yet you still go

It took us 4.5 hrs to do 3/4 of this trail. Wasn’t easy, but so worth it! Since the trail is on the SE side of the mountain, the mountain was in shadow by 7:30pm. Cell reception for us was non-existent, so be sure to download the GPS location well before the drive through Kananaskis county. Also be advised it took us the same amount of time to go up- as it did down. Since it’s so steep, best to have a pair of super grippy shoes. If you can make it 1/3 the way up, you’ll get a gorgeous view. Loved it so much! Hope to return one day to complete the whole trail. Also, we heard elk culling, but no bears. Don’t let the sign scare ya!

Stunning views the whole way!

Best views ever. Great trail if you can find it

Monday, October 16, 2017

Gorgeous views but one of the hardest hikes I have done so far.

Sunday, October 15, 2017

Top of the line views! I couldn't quite reach the summit do to ice on the scrambling sections & I was hiking in knee deep snow by about 3 quarters of the way up. I could have easily reached the summit if I had better gloves and crampons. Amazing hike tho!

Sunday, October 01, 2017

Top notch! Best 360 view you'll ever find! Stop what you're doing and go!

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Long, hard scramble last 15 min, mostly just getting back down, but amazing! great views the whole way!! BEAR SPRAY, it is a bear closure area, don't let that scare you, just be smart! Easily marked, a couple turns that hikers have marked with rocks/sticks to point you in the right direction!

Monday, August 28, 2017

This one is so good I am sure to include it once every year or two. It's a great challenge for those new to scrambling, and for those who are seasoned it will provides enough thrills to make it worth the time - one of my favourites.

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Amazingly stunning views. This one is now my favorite hikes, but it is quite difficult!

Friday, August 11, 2017

Still one of my favourite views of all time. Difficult but rewarding.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Me and a friend hiked this trail yesterday. We climbed up the weather station down to south summit. We were told that we took the bad ass route to the top, but only because we had no idea what we were doing. It was our first time scrambling. It wasn't too bad; just needed to be really smart and careful.

About an hour from the trail head slash warning sign, the awesome views of the 2 Kananaskis lakes will be visible. It's even better from the south summit, where the Hidden Lake can also be seen.

No bear sighting whatsoever. There were like 20 other people whom we encountered during our hike, including two rad guys who brought their mountain bikes with them to the top, then cycled down the steep trail (CRAZY).

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Awesome hike. Did the complete traverse in a clockwise direction. Make noise, bring bear spray, go in a group but don't play your music. No one wants to hear your crappy music. Go for a dip in the pond, it's refreshing!

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Any one see any bears on this trail this year plan on doing it Thursday

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Scenic views make it worth to hike

Thursday, June 29, 2017

The views are phenomenal, this mountain truly outdoes so many others just on this basis alone. One of my favourites to date just due to its uniqueness.

Did the South summit out and back on June 24, 2017. If doing the whole loop, this would have been the clockwise direction. Wasn't interested in doing the whole traverse as from what most people were saying on the mountain, the scrambling is tougher and the ridge is narrower, something I have less experience with. If you are planning on doing the whole loop, it seemed most people that had done it that day went in a counterclockwise direction.

Lucked out with conditions but as a good portion is exposed, it wouldn't be as much fun on a windy day - especially for the ridge walk. Some good scrambling. My friend's dog was able to summit but he climbs weekly. Many people kept their dogs below the ridge-line (for anyone planning on bringing). And as everyone says, go in a group, make noise/play music, pack spray. Bears love this mountain and if you look at the way it's shaped and its meadows and water availability, you can see why!

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Monday, June 12, 2017

WARNING: this trail was decommissioned in 2005 to turn the area into a grizzly bear sanctuary. The parks advise that you don't use it, or if you do, to bring bear spray and be bear aware. The trail starts with this warning sign basically blocking the trail head.

Friday, April 28, 2017

Competed mid April encountered quite a bit of snow towards the summit, will definitely do again once the snow melts though! Awesome views of the upper and low lake. Trail head very easy to find, and we encountered a friendly not so friendly mountain goat :)