Hoodoo Creek

Hoodoo Creek is a 5.6 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Clearwater County, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

5.6 km
607 m

cave

7 minutes ago

A nice day hike. Looks like recent landslides have went through this area. Some of the trails through the trees on the left hand side of the creek dead ended. Maybe due to the landslide activity. We ended up turning around and going back up the creek from the 2 tall hoodoos. Found the first cave eventually which turned out to be quite interesting but definitely a scramble up and down in the scree to get to it.

Did this about a month ago, it’s a fun hike! It is steep in some areas and there is a bit of loose shale the entire hike so do be careful. I didn’t get far enough to see the caves unfortunately. The trail head is a little bit confusing so when you park and see the creek to your left, you can follow the creek up or just to the right of it is the actual trail. The views are amazing. Also I brought my dog with me and she managed just fine. Had to lift her onto a couple of bigger rocks to keep going but nothing to scary for her. Took about 3 1/2 hours to do (including stopping for a snack) Give it a try!

Nice easy trail with some fun creek drainage bouldering toward the top. Left trailhead at 9:45am and our group was the 2nd group up. Great little scramble to the enormous and cool cave at top. By the time we finished lunch and we’re headed down, the trail was packed with hikers. (Stopped counting after 70). Good views, but take a flashlight for the cave.

Pretty casual hiking up to the hoodoos, from there you could continue up the creek to the cave. We decided to ascend the slope to the south, there’s a bit of a trail to start and then you’ll have to scramble up some shale but when make it to the top of the ridge the view is incredible.

Challenging trail but beautiful and scenic. Definitely want to do this one again and next time make it to the cave.

Nice trail, short but worth it especially looking back at the majestic view of Abraham Lake. Lots of loose rocks making it a slower pace.

Although the views are amazing - the hike is a bit treacherous for people who are used to hikes with clear trails and firm footholds. I was happy to make it to the cave but I was surrounded by good folks who were willing to help me place my steps :)

We hiked up the trail until it ended by the hoodoos and then we just followed the creek up. Eventually we got to a rocky part of the mountain and we could see the cave from the bottom; there are two ribbons on trees a little hard to notice, marking the beginning of the trail. It was very difficult scrambling up because there were a lot of loose rocks. The cave was dark and muddy; you should bring a very good flashlight. There are two dead trees propped up with rungs to climb to the next part of the cave, and at the top there are a couple ropes to hoist yourself up but it was too dark and difficult to get up so we didn’t see what was past that opening. It definitely was worth it.

Fun trail, kind of tricky to find as nothing is marked but once you do it's fairly straightforward. Didn't find the cave but I think you just need to keep walking up the creek once you get to the hoodoos.

Was a great trail. We ended up walking the creek bed most the way. Made for a fun and interesting hike Manovering boulders and the creek itself. The dog enjoyed having the creek to play in as well. The hoodoos are amazing! Much larger than pictures make them seem. The caves were very cool! Kinda hard to find unless your paying attention. A ways past the hoodoos up a steep, loose rock incline to the right. We didn’t bring a head lamp (silly) so make sure to bring one so you can explore a bit better than we did!

We also started the trail early (8am) and didn’t meet another person until more than half way back to the car. It was fairly busy around 11am. So the earlier the better!

Very scenic hike. The cave at the end was definitely worth it!

It’s rated a moderate but is very easy! Pretty busy trail. The trail follows the creek all the way up to the cave which is awesome to explore inside! -bring a headlamp. There is a makeshift ladder and ropes to climb inside the cave. If you want a challenge or to extend your time after making it to the cave and back, we also took a side trail (which started by the tall standing hoodoo half way up the trail) which led us on a harder hour and a half scramble up to a cliff overlooking the creek trail. It was a nice private spot to eat lunch. Check the recording I made to follow where we went if you want to try it. The trailhead is easy to find from the well marked parking spot beside the highway.

Loved this hike it’s one of my favourites. It’s sort of tough to find the trail head but once you get started it’s hard to go wrong. The cave is well worth the extra bit of hiking.

Fairly easy trek. Kind of underwhelming. The hoodoos were cool though.

This trail had nice views only one hoodoo left. Everyone we talked to on the trail couldn’t find the cave to explore.

Did the hike today, the entire way up the creek going up, until it was way too steep and the snow started. Then hiked the small single track trail to where the two creeks met. Our feet got wet crossing the creek back and fourth to get to the top. But it was a fun and challenging hike. Getting down was fast but would suggest good shoes and a hiking post, if you plan on going up the creek most of the way. Took us 1 hr 45 mins to get up with a handful of stops for a break. And only 45mins to get down. Wouldn’t bring small children passed the Hoodoos.

A fun trail, we just hiked it yesterday (April 21), there was still a lot of snow.

Beautiful hike and the cave above is quite spectacular to see inside!

We did this hike last spring in late March. We didn't have any trouble finding the trail, you pretty much just go straight up the creek bed. There's a few spots where the trail has been eroded away, so just go up the creek. Pretty simple. The cave is on your right up a big scree slope, a fair ways past the hoodoos.

Definitely pushed me outside my comfort zone at times but incredibly worth it!

Monday, July 31, 2017

Steep climb but worth the effort. The view of the lake down below is amazing and if your interested in going caving keep climbing past the hoodoos :)

Friday, July 28, 2017

Beautiful little hike but not well marked, others have said having the map downloaded will make a big difference. We ended up way off path but did make it to a couple of hoodoos. Would like to try this again with a map to follow.

Monday, June 26, 2017

Really nice hike, beautiful views of Abraham lake and the Rockies. Easy trail to follow to the hoodoos. To the caves past the hoodoos, follow the creek directly a ways and look up to your right. Cool cave, bring a light. Busy enough that you don't feel alone but not too busy.

Monday, June 19, 2017

Not for young kids. I'd say 8+. Decent little hike.

Friday, June 02, 2017

Monday, May 08, 2017

This hike was pretty disappointing. It is very unmarked and I got lost numerous times and I could not find the Caves. I ran it's a few people who said the same thing. My dog and I made an adventure out of it anyways and there were some good views. However, there are better hikes to do in the area that are more worth the time in my opinion!

Friday, September 30, 2016

Awesome hike, make sure you visit the caves.

Monday, August 01, 2016

It was quite easy finding our way to the hoodoos, but we decided to try and make it to the caves despite other people's reviews. The trailhead is very easy to find but once past the hoodoos there was literally no trail markings whatsoever. We climbed about another 200m past the hoodoos (on what we thought were trails) only to lose the trail completely. We would have kept going but there was not a single sign of a trail anywhere. Would have been nice if the previous hikers could have marked the trails once they found the caves. The views were quite nice though.

Saturday, May 14, 2016

The trail head was pretty easy to find do to the markers with ribbon on them. The trail to the first set of hoodoos was nice and easy but we lost the trail once we got there. So we decided to cross the creek in hopes of picking up the trail. Long story short, we did not do any such thing but instead we literally bushwhacked to the top of the mountain. It was incredibly sketchy but the views were a 10/10. Coming back down we picked up the trail where it had ended without finding where the path was that led to the caves. Honestly this trail was poorly marked and I'm pretty disappointed.