Learn more

Hoodoo Creek is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Clearwater County, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,991 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

We did this hike yesterday. We crossed the creek after the hoodoos and followed the dirt trail to the left of the creek, however, it got incredibly steep, and unlike a scramble, there's nothing for your hands to grab, so the climb was tough and HOT. We ended up turning back and not finishing the steep incline. We didn't find the caves, but also didn't really look. Listen to the other reviews, and stick to the creek bed as your trail, the dirt path after the hoodoos was not fun, and sounds like it doesn't really lead anywhere. If I were to give this trail a difficulty rating, I'd say the hike to the hoodoos is rated as easy, and the dirt trail after the hoodoos on the left side of the creek is rated as hard. Add in the scramble to the caves (which we didn't do) and I think that's where the moderate rating comes from. I'm giving it a 3 star review, purely based on personal preference. Happy Hiking!

Couldn’t find the cave! Scrambled lots to the right of the hoodoos where I read in previous reviews but with no success. Fun trail although we didn’t finish it due to lingering snow and tress from an avalanche.

Hiked on June 15th. Absolutely beautiful trail and I loved the views on both ends of the creek! Relatively easy trek to the hoodoos, but it’s quite confusing as to where to head next to get to the cave. We ended up going left and hiking along the creek, my partner went up a scramble on the left and could see the cave. Chose to leave that scramble for another day and just enjoyed hiking along the creek on the way back! One note is that it was very windy when hiking in the creek, there’s definitely a bit of a wind tunnel effect.

I’ve been hiking this trail for 27 years basically since I was seven and every time it always amazes me but that being said, I have noticed an increase in trash along the way this is very disappointing and disrespectful, I was always taught to bring out what you bring in and nerve litter no matter where you are, what ever happened to teaching people this. Either way great day for a hike with my son glad I am able to show him this trail just like my father showed me. Happy hiking y’all !!

Nice trail, easy walk to the hoodoos. Got a little mislead after the hoodoos, went left at the hoodoos instead of right which lead up towards a harder path. Did not complete because of thunderstorms coming in.

We only went halfway as I had my 10yr old daughter. Saw the hoodoos and went down to the water to explore.

Fun hike for my wife and I today, however we took the wrong trail after the Hoodoo's (went left instead of straight) and ended up on a lookout way above the creek, back tracked to the proper trail and made it to visit the cave at the top. Beautiful day

Did this hike with a group of pretty new hikers, was super fun, we took the trail until the hoodoos then stayed in the creek. Stay to the right for the creek when you get near the old avalanche snow, and climb up on the right and the cave is at the top of the scramble. If you go to the far side of the rocks there is a trail to the top. We missed it and went up early and the climb was pretty straight up and scary, but we took the trail down and it was much better. We met some other people that had been to the caves before so they showed us the way down. Wouldn’t recommend taking your dogs up to the cave, it is a bit steep. On the way back we took the creek the whole way, it was lots of fun, just one spot right below the hoodoos that it’s got some flat slippery rock and shale that makes it difficult to not get your feet wet. Definitely a fun hike that has lots of room for kids to run and play on the rocks

Unmarked trail across from hoodoos leads to outcropping overlooking the creek

We went on a Wednesday afternoon and only saw 2 other groups of people. Very quiet! Easier hike - family friendly. Stay on the creek bed the whole way to the cave. When you hit the hoodoos, stay on the right side of the creek. Otherwise it takes you into the bush. Bring headlamps for the cave!

went on my first hike of the season May 30, 2020. I'm not a hiker by any means! we had a great day! dry trail, lots of people but we were able to be spaced out and enjoy the day! loved the view of abraham lake behind us! lots of kids and dogs on this trail

Good trail, no snow. Nice views a good walk for everyone!

Trail was awesome, not too much of lake view tho. Scenic views of the creek, cliff and mountain top. Keep by the river shore for more fun ;)

Beautiful hike. Relatively easy. But Lots of areas to climb over smaller rocks and shale,up and down along the way. We made it up the creek to where there was still snow and turned around. You could likely climb up over what seems to be deep snow from an avalanche but wanted to be safe. Apparently there is also a cave but we didn’t come across it. Also trail splits up into the woods and gets pretty steep or you can walk up along the creek bed which I believe is the mail trail according to my alltrails map

Did this hike on May 2, 2020. Trail condictions were great. We started on the dirt path and then switched to hiking right up the creek bed. Beautiful hike with great views the whole way. We had to stop at about the 2.5 km mark due to snow. We also did a bit of scrambling and bouldering on the way up. It’s a fun hike!

Love it. It is beautiful trail. Amazing view. Very good condition.

Great little trail. Easy access off hwy and conditions were dry. Quick and relatively short assent. Beautiful views of the hoodoos and Abraham lake

Did this hike with my 8 year old son. The hoodoos were bigger than I expected. We had loads of fun scrambling over the boulders and up the creek. Caves were big enough to be worth the scramble. Went in the water on the way down. Loads of fun, especially for a young kid.