Highwood Ridge & Grizzly Col is a 6.4 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Kananaskis Improvement, Alberta, Canada that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as difficult and is primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.4 km Elevation Gain: 851 m Route Type: Out & Back

Gorgeous views but pretty hard going up to the ridge via grizzly col route. Well worth it for the views but I’d recommend going back the way you came. It’s a sketchy scramble at times as you continue over to Highwood Peak. We ended up going down a chute which if not recommend at all.

Started off doing Pocaterra Cirque and just kept pushing on to Grizzly Col and then decided to check out the ridge. Unbelievable views! This is a must for larch season! When traversing the ridge just be prepared for route finding, lots of loose scree and getting dirty. But nothing crazy for exposure, just physically relentless with false summits and outcroppings to scramble over. The trail down wasn’t well marked either but friendly to navigate through the trees. I’m happy we did it counter clockwise as well.

Scrambled up to Highwood Ridge north summit directly going up the side of the ridge from the parking lot. I picked a path about 100 meters south of the parking lot that gave me a good clear route up through the bushes and small trees and then I zig zagged up heading over towards the summit as I went. Once pasted the bushes, shrubs and small trees it is scree, rocks and dirt so a slip and slide as you go up but manageable. Nothing dangerous just a tough trek up the side with some small easy to medium scrambles. I reached the north summit in about 1.5 hours at a moderate pace. Anyone in good fit condition and okay with scree and some scrambling will not have a problem. It's a quick route to the Highwood Ridge summit and once there the views are amazing. Not accounting for time I was taking pictures on the ridge it was about 3 hours round trip to the summit and back down same route. Great fun!

Buddy and I decided to pull over and picked this mountain to summit. We knew very little about this mountain and from the parking area, it didn’t look that difficult. We figured we could hit the top in 45 minutes if we went up the ravine. (We tried our best to Leave no Trace) going up this ravine you quickly realize it’s going to be a journey. Whenever you think it’s the end, it isn’t. Took us about an hour and a half of pure scrambling to reach the top. Once we hit a plateau, we saw trails which we followed up. Wasn’t insanely difficult as it was pretty short. Once we got to the top and finished taking photos, we walked north along the ridge. On our way up we noticed that the one side of the mountain looked like black shale most of the way down. This made it extremely easy to butt slide down. 1.5 hour up, 1.5 hour down. Saw about 2 dozen mountain goats and coincidentally the path we took, was also the path of the mountain goats.

awesome hike

Easier to come up from Pocaterra to the Col and across to Highwood Ridge unless you like a moderate/difficult scramble up (it's not horrid but the wind!!!). lots of path searching once out of the tree line to the summit and then fine from there. Sounded a lot easier then the description but the views! Well work the climb. Less then 4 hours round trip.

Completed without difficulty June 22. Go counterclockwise and save yourself some misery. Easier to see your route down the front when your coming off the column. Incredibly beautiful and make sure you climb up and touch the pole like rock halfway through the column. Incredible view.

Not sure how you can’t figure out the difference between Pocaterra and Highwood there Clever Trevor. They’re on complete opposite sides of the meadow but whatever. Maybe spend more time researching the area rather than witty posts for your profile. Great trail either way....did both Grizzly Col to Highwood Ridge and Highwood Pass. Pocaterra this weekend

No one knows my struggle, they only see my trouble. I had trouble finding Pocaterra and ended up on Highwood Ridge. A bit of a scramble, and great views of Grizzle Ridge and Pocaterra Ridge. Getting through the forest is a challenge. Bring a GPS to stay on track. They got a war on drugs so the police an bother me!

Sun Sep 09 2018

Beautiful scenery here along the highest known highway in Alberta. Highwood is an easy rout to the ridge where you can dance around the view points. There’s a flag way up there after a bit of a scramble, if you dare. Happy hiking.

Mon Sep 03 2018

Started off the day with Mount Tyrwhitt in mind. Got up to the saddle between Tyrwhitt and Grizzly before we decided the conditions weren't right for Tyrwhitt. We didn't know much about Grizzly or Highwood but on the advice of some other hikers we decided to make a loop of our trek back over to Highwood. The difficulty rating of Hard is pretty accurate, there are some challenging passes in Grizzly Col that requires some experience to navigate. You lose the trail very quickly and there is some scrambling involved. I would definitely recommend this trail to someone who has some experience and is looking to push their boundaries a little. There is little exposure to be concerned with but still plenty of physical challenges to overcome. There is enough foot traffic on the route that you will run into a few other hikers along the way that will be able to help you navigate the route.

Tue Aug 07 2018

Tried to do Pocaterra Ridge and ended up doing this hike and it was quite difficult, a beautiful view but definitely quite a scramble

Sun Jul 29 2018

Hardest hike I’ve done. Not to busy which was good . Views ok nothing special. Won’t do again but happy I did it.

Tue Jul 24 2018

went up at 8pm...on top for dusk was amazing.. on the way down with the various trails and limited visibility got stranded on the mountian side...waited for the sun to rise again around 430 am...shivering with a friend...amazing stars, best I ever seen. this trail was worth it...the beautiful alpine meadows and flowers the golf course green meadows and mountian sides ...so amazing

Mon Jul 23 2018

Great time of year to do this hike! This is only the third hike we’ve done and we managed. I would recommend proper footwear but I made it work in runners. Beautiful views at the top and we saw big horned sheep down in the valley.

Wed Oct 11 2017

A fun hike. It was the first snow of the season the day that we did this hike, which was only a small inconvenience. There are a couple forks in the trail to navigate at the beginning of the route. 5 stars because it is a clear trail, and traffic was quite light. We even saw some big horned sheep.

Mon Oct 09 2017

Honestly, one of the most gorgeous views I have seen in a while. While the hike up to the ridge is steep, if you take your time and have the proper footwear it’s doable and definitely worth it.

Tue Jul 16 2013

Located at the highest point of the Highwood Pass, this is a great hike with constant panorama's. Get there early, can get busy. Scree slope is insane but a good challenge. DO IT! Only accessable from June to September.