Heart Mountain Horseshoe

Heart Mountain Horseshoe is a 10.5 kilometer lightly trafficked loop trail located near Lac des Arcs, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

10.5 km
994 m

Great trail; but keep in mind that an average scramble does not equal an average hike. This is much harder than most average hikes.

I rated this 4 stars just because of the scramble alone.
If you're looking for a challenging, fun and adventurous scramble...this one is it!
It was a challenge but I didn't find it to be that difficult. The view at the top is beautiful! I started doing the loop however felt it was going to be really drawn out with a repetitious view. Compared to other hikes I've done this loop didn't feel worth doing. So I chose to go back down and scramble up along the inside of the mountain which was a really neat feeling! You have to have a lot of trust and confidence in the mountain and your own footing coming down. Perhaps doing the loop would be easier for that reason.
Checking in with this app works great to ensure you don't get lost.
Proper hiking shoes are necessary.
Hearing the traffic from the highway the whole time takes away from this hike.
Although I did bring my dog who appeared to have no issues, I wouldn't recommend it as it is quite steep.

An amazing hike with some moderate scramble at the beginning and amazing views at the top. Different summits gave us unique views and was definitely easier at the middle portion. Going up was very fun as there was no "correct way" of going up, so to speak. It was straightforward when you know what you're looking for/where you're going and it certainly was not terrifying or life threatening.

The way down definitely felt like forever but was easy to follow. Having proper hiking shoes play a big role going down as there were lots of loose rock/smooth rocks that runners wouldn't be able to handle.

Overall, the hike was enjoyable and I definitely will do it again. Took my group 6 hours to do the loop.

This is an excellent trail. An incredibly diverse path with a lot of different scenery. You get an excellent view from all directions. If you're looking for a full day with great views and lots of challenge, this is a good option.

I would definitely recommend poles for the way down, and some proper hiking shoes (NOT runners). I did it in runners and without poles, but I was slipping a lot on my way down. I do also recommend sunscreen and bug spray, you'll need both. There were a lot of really small biting bugs at the top where we ate lunch, but the bug spray fixed that right up.

I also am not sure how great this would be with a dog, the climbing section seems like it might pose a problem.

I agree that if it seems unnecessarily scary, you might have gone the wrong way. I was lucky to have this to keep me on track, even with having read up and being prepared, we still missed the red diamond. I was checking often to see if I was on path though, which was very helpful.

Lots of variation in topology and scenery. When going clockwise it can be difficult to find the right trail as you head down the mountain.

Short version: The scramble up was really fun and totally worth it for the views. I strongly recommend taking the time to do the full loop. You get much nicer views and I think it may be a bit safer on the way down compared to if you just go up to Heart Mountain and go back the same way.

Long version:

So, how to get there? Park at the Heart Creek parking lot, and take the Heart Creek trail until you see a bench with a sign about the floods. There's a sign that says "Trail closed for reclamation" - this marks the start of the trail to Heart Mountain and where it diverges from Heart Creek Trail. Follow the trail for a few minutes across a small creek bed until you hit a 5-way (I think) junction. The trail is marked by a yellow sign warning that this is a scrambling route. This is where the ascent begins!

It's quite steep and definitely a great leg workout. I personally didn't find the scramble very frightening or intimidating, and I'm not an experienced scrambler (moderately experienced hiker though). I'm also afraid of heights, so I just made sure to pick routes towards the centre and just took my time.

There's no "right" way up UNTIL you hit a rather high rock wall with no immediately obvious way up. You may be inclined to walk along the wall, but you actually need to climb up onto it. The best way to do this is marked by a white ribbon, a cairn, and a red sign. It's near the beginning of the wall, so look for it there. If you're not paying attention, you could definitely miss it.

From there I think it was another 20 minutes to the summit. If doing the full loop (which I strongly encourage), keep in mind that this isn't the halfway point, but I'd say the hardest part is done. It took us another 1.5 hours to reach the other two summits and start the descent. The trail here is very well marked, so you shouldn't have any problems. (The descent seemed to take forever though.)

All in all it took us about 5 hours and 15 minutes, and that was without getting lost and with two extended food and water breaks. We're fairly active and decently experienced at hiking, so keep that in mind when planning for time. I would rate this hike as moderate. We thought it was a lot of fun and really enjoyed it. Even if you don't want to do the whole loop go out for about 10-15 minutes past the Heart Mountain summit for some great views. You won't regret it, I promise.

great short scramble up, a bit tough on the way down the scramble. about 3 hours round trip

can also do the loop/Ridge but it's long and drawn out.... if you have a full day then do it

There are small technical areas such as a 6ft boulder problem on the ascent and some narrow loose, rocky trails with exposure coming down from the peak. That being said this is not extreme. 80% of it is moderate. Maybe another 20% could be rated difficult. Pay the mountain respect, though, and take caution where it is needed. Views are worth the grind. I especially liked coming down into the grassy valley up top. Did it in 5 hours with some older gents and lots of breaks. I maybe drank 1 litre over the whole loop on a partially cloudy day.

For reference, I consider yamnuska mostly moderate.

WARNING!! Agree with below review. This hike is NOT Moderate. It is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT and DANGEROUS especially coming down. Very steep 90% of the time, loose rock and unstable footing. I repeat this trail is NOT MODERATE. Great view BTW. Go prepared.

This was definitely an extreme trail through the route we went. In total it took us 7 hours which include our breaks. There is many ways to get to the first peak, we ended up having to scale lots of loose rocks patches and then did about 25 ft of no harness rock climbing to get to the first peak faster. overall this can be a demanding hike during hot temperatures and saw alot of people who were not prepared for such a demanding steep hike. Bring LOTS of water, camel back and Gatorade if possible. we saw lots of people suffering from heat exhaustion along the path. there is no active streams along the way, or lakes, there was a small patch of snow at the top. Once at the top you do have a pretty cool view.

So I would say that this probably isn't a moderate hike, the scramble is pretty advanced and there are many different scrambles throughout the hike. We went to I believe the second or third peak not making it the full horseshoe, however the view was great the hike was fun, challenging and rewarding. For someone who had never done this hike before I wasn't prepared for what it actually was but enjoyed every moment of it. We usually bring our dog on hikes with us, but lucky enough we didn't this time as there is no way she could have completed the scrambles. I wouldn't recommend bringing your dog. Just my opinions, enjoy the hike!