Heart Mountain Horseshoe

Heart Mountain Horseshoe is a 10.5 kilometer lightly trafficked loop trail located near Lac des Arcs, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

10.5 km
994 m

Love it!!! Peak after Peak after Peak! couple kids, couple dogs! The a couple scrambles/climbs were a little struggling especially if your new. So would rate this as hard, not moderate, and we tracked it to 13.5 km from heart creek parking lot!

The scramble up was tough, but not dangerous, just a lot of it! Saw no bears.

We did the horseshoe loop here after reading a handful of reviews. Let me tell you, it was much harder then I anticipated, and we hike every weekend.

You'll want to go counter clockwise. the scramble going up was hard but I wouldn't want to be going down that.

If you don't feel cofortable with a hands on scramble (I'd even call it light bouldering) then I wouldn't suggest it. I was suprised when I saw a family with 3 boys (6-12) coming down it.

The map was handy but my phone died out. It took us 6 hours, granted we are a little slow. 5 should be expected though. Once we got to the peak of heart we were disappointed to see 2 more peaks. I'll be honest, we had a water problem and only had a litre between the 2 of us, so I was grumpy. We were exposed in the sun quite a bit so ensure you have water, a hat and sunscreen. I didn't have a bug issues. There was bear warning, bear poop spotted but no bear sighting.

we saw about 3 other hikers attempting the full loop so it was only lightly trafficked but I was happy to have someone around considering the difficulty.

Also there is a waterfall trail along the creek, if you don't feel solid in your hiking abilities (I'd call this an advanced scramble) then just go to the falls.

An exhilarating scramble to the top of Heart, plus spectacular views along the ridge walk.
If you take the horseshoe route, beware of dense forest in the Quaite Valley area where it would be ideal to have a group of 4.

Great trail; but keep in mind that an average scramble does not equal an average hike. This is much harder than most average hikes.

I rated this 4 stars just because of the scramble alone.
If you're looking for a challenging, fun and adventurous scramble...this one is it!
It was a challenge but I didn't find it to be that difficult. The view at the top is beautiful! I started doing the loop however felt it was going to be really drawn out with a repetitious view. Compared to other hikes I've done this loop didn't feel worth doing. So I chose to go back down and scramble up along the inside of the mountain which was a really neat feeling! You have to have a lot of trust and confidence in the mountain and your own footing coming down. Perhaps doing the loop would be easier for that reason.
Checking in with this app works great to ensure you don't get lost.
Proper hiking shoes are necessary.
Hearing the traffic from the highway the whole time takes away from this hike.
Although I did bring my dog who appeared to have no issues, I wouldn't recommend it as it is quite steep.