Heart Mountain Horseshoe

Heart Mountain Horseshoe is a 6.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Lac des Arcs, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

So I did this hike with some other savvy hikers and we got lost TWICE along with another 5 sets of hikers. The trail is very poorly marked. You are suppose to start by going past the sign that says closed for maintenance...do not go up the creek bed. Then there is a single marker next to a 5 foot "cliff" after you have gained some elevation a bit and that is where you start the more major scramble. We missed that marker going up and went up a very wrong way so unless you see that don't go further. Stay to the middle for the free climb. Then if you're wondering when you drop back down if you're doing the loop...you walk all the ridges and "peaks" then circle back towards the highway when there is literally know where to go but down. It will take you down through the trees all the way down to flat where you come to a T intersection when left takes you back to heart creek parking lot. If we didn't get lost twice it would have been more enjoyable. But it is GORGEOUS! I would say not a moderate hike...more difficult. Not recommended for a first time hiker in my opinion. The view of the K valley on the south ridges is really beautiful! I would do this again

Needs way better trail markings. Definitely do your homework before you go and a map would help. Had beautiful views.

This was our first hike of the season and a great one to kick things off. Starting things off, the loading zone is a paved parking lot and is easily accessible for all types of vehicles. The trail head is clearly marked and once you have entered it you will want to follow the trail to a sign that describes the events of the flood from there you will follow the trail right, through the river/stream and over a small 2 log bridge. After crossing the bridge you will go left until you hit a bright yellow sign and on that sign it will basic map showing the different trails. As for the hike it was a lot of fun. Prepare for all types of terrain and i highly recommend doing the full horseshoe and not turning around once you reach the top. The trail for the most part was very easy to follow, it sees heavy traffic so it is broken in. In all i really liked the trial.

Pros:
- Multiple environments
- Easy access
- Visible trail
- Great Views
- Variety of different terrain

Cons:
- Can be busy with larger groups
- Highway is noisy until you reach the top

Tips:
- Do full Horseshoe don't turn back

The best hike I ever had with my wife. She never scrambled before. This one taught her to do it. Awesome.

My first scramble! You need to be fit to do. Quite challenging, lots of rock climbing requiring all four limbs. It took us 7 hours to do whole loop but we took wrong trail and had to back track. There's a 3 meter wall you need to climb up to. View is fantastic!!!

Bring some gardening gloves with coated palms, it'll make grabbing the jagged rocks a little nicer to your hands. I would advise to do the Scrambler's Route instead of the other way, as you get to Heart Mountain faster, however the reverse way is a bit more scenic. Keep in mind that if youre doing the full loop, when you reach Heart Mountain from the Scramblers' route, you are only 40% done the trail, so watch your water supply.

I did this trail 3 times.

Some skills are required. Loop distance is approx 13 km
There are 4 small peaks before you down slope.

If you are new hiker, don't do it.

Amazing scramble pretty long and difficult if you're not prepared. May 27 was pretty clean with not much snow and no need for crampons. A few scary looking rock climbing parts but completely doable with no gear. Go left on the T sign and then right on the sign warning about scramble beginning part. I wouldn't do it the other way, going down the steep part seems scary

May 29/17 - A very challenging hike with beautiful views! We did the loop counter clockwise. Scrambling the rock face was pretty scary, but proud to say we accomplished this one. Did it with 5 dogs, although I would say this hike isn't really great for dogs. We had trouble finding the trail at some spots, so it took us close to 9 hours to complete the horseshoe. Closer to 15km.

Wonderful hike, nice that you can say you hit double summits, was able to complete the loop in 4.5hrs encountered a decent amount of snow (May)