Heart Creek Bunker is a 4.2 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bighorn No. 8, Alberta, Canada that features a cave. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

4.2 km
248 m

cave

historic site

This trail leads to an abandoned cold war bunker.

I really wanted to check out this bunker without the massive amount of ppl. Therefore a good friend and I decided to go during the week after the big snow fall we had. It was beautiful! Lots of deep snow and not a single person except us. Really enjoyed it!

Was cool to see the bunker, but we could always here traffic from the Trans Canada highway from all parts of the trail. Decent quick walk in the morning, but not nearly as spectacular as so many other trails in the area.

Fun easy short trail, was not too busy but the weather wasn’t very nice. Lots of water in the cave so sadly didn’t go in far. Definitely had a strong lingering weed smell like a lot of people have said lol. Definitely want to go back and explore the cave a bit.

I absolutely loved this trail for me and my dog. Quite easy and we were there early enough that we didn't see anyone until we were a minute away from the parking lot.
Bring a headlamp if you want to explore the bunker. Having worked underground at a mine in the past, the smells and tunnel brought back some memories! No smell of weed as others have said. If there was a way to remove graffiti, maybe someone can take that upon themselves to do that.

This was a really fun hike! The trail isn't very difficult and it takes you to a really neat old bunker in the mountain. The bunker is dark so bring a light so you can explore inside. It isn't very big but there is some cool art on the walls! A perfect adventure for someone who likes to see unique things.

The trail was nice once we got away from the sound of traffic, but the bunker was very underwhelming. graffiti everywhere, litter and remnants of campfires, and the smell of weed seemed to linger in the cave. my kids liked the hike more than the cave, they said the marijuana smell was not cool. if we go back, we'll go up the other side where the creek was more interesting than the bunker.

Easy trail, would be a great family adventure. The bunker was cool.. bring lights!!

What a neat place! The hike itself was easy and not much to see and had highway traffic noise, but the cave was awesome. It was perfect, it was 33C out and walking into the cave was like going into a fridge. The cave was way bigger than I expected. I went with 4 boys- 8, 10, 12 & 12 and they thought it was so cool- we even saw the packrat, which was a surprise. I’d prolly do that trail again... short walk to a neat place. We went on a Thursday around 3:30 and only saw 4 people- we had the caves all to ourselves. Make sure to have flashlights.

Very easy hike. Great for smaller adventurers. The bunker itself was fun to explore though not as deep as I was expecting. The kids thought it was fun finding a resident packrat in the deeper wing. Decent area, but a lot of traffic noise for the most part from the TransCanada highway. Fun novelty hike but I doubt we will do it again unless pressed by the kiddos.

I honestly did not think this was going to be so busy. I started by going down the wrong trail on the opposite side of the parking lot and there were so many people! At least 50 dogs sniffed my butt because people were just letting their creatures run rampant and I had a sandwich in the bottom of my bag, by my butt. I basically looked like I was going to live there because I had such a giant pack thinking I was going on a super secret mission impossible bunker adventure. No. When I finally got on the right trail I was all, phew, alone at last. ACTIVATE SECRET MISSION. BUT THEN, when I got to the right place to my surprise there were at least 5000 people. It was a never ending stream of people. Also about a million kids who were all very very loud. Someone kept blowing an air horn inside the bunker and kids were screaming. Thanks for that whoever you were, I love the loud sound of air horns in caves. Alongside the air horn, dads were boo-ing to scare people. It was just like a wild circus cave. It's a shame that it's vandalized and that people are so loud there, it really has a cool story and is a neat place to visit. I can't imagine it on a nice day, we went on a rainy crap day and had to climb up the mountain to get away from the crowd. Go if you don't mind a very trafficked trail, it's an easy walk and you can get some cool shots if you get lucky with timing! If you're wanting to be hardcore though and love caves, do Rats Nest instead.

This is a very easy trail that just about anyone could do. I think the we were back to our car within an hour. Bring a headlamp and explore the caves.

It’s a easy walk to get there. I went there today and didn’t see anyone. If you want to see something bring as much flashlight as you can! I was alone and I couldn’t see that much with only one flashlight.. I’d say to go during the week if you want it to be quiet :)

Short and easy hike to the bunker. Cool experience, especially considering the Canadian History during the Cold War era.
Flashlights or headlamps required. Recommended during non peak traffic times as screaming children blowing air horns can take away from the experience :)

Great hike to the bunker! Lots of up hill but worth it. Bring a flashlight for sure if you want to explore the bunker as it’s pitch black dark. We used our cell phone lights but they weren’t bright enough. We will be going back again with bright flashlights to explore deeper.

recorded Heart Creek Bunker