Learn more

Heart Creek Bunker is a 2.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Municipal District of Bighorn No. 8, Alberta, Canada that features a cave and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 695 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

historic site

This hike is almost entirely along the Trans Canada Trail. This trail leads to an abandoned cold war bunker. The trail to get there is difficult to follow. The beginning is not marked, and there are a few different places along the route that split into multiple places. The beginning of the trail is across the parking lot from the main trail. It is recommended to bring a flashlight.

Saw a bear right by the parking lot

Nice and easy hike - dogs loved it, not a lot of people on the bunker trail. We started the trail about 915 and finished at 11. Parking lot was jam packed at 11

Awesome short hike! Wasn’t too busy during the week when we went so we had the bunker (cave) to ourselves!! Thought our smartphone flashlights would be enough but it was barley able to light 3ft in front of you! Recommending bringing a powerful flashlight or headlamp!

great hike, more of a cave than a bunker but lots of fun

Pretty relaxed hike, couldn’t find the bunker at the end though, but I plan on returning to find it.

Bring head lights for kids. Fun easy to find

Very easy hike that leads to a bunker at the end! Bring a strong flashlight for exploring!

Caves were fun, bring flashlights and watch for a long spike from the ceiling in one of the “rooms”.

Did this with 2,5 and 6yr old. 2 yr old walked half. A couple steep inclines but otherwise pretty gradual. A good break point half way with dry stream bed full of Boulder the kids could climb for a while. The cave was super neat to explore, a bit scary, we definitely didn’t do the whole length, kid of chicken. Gave a four for the highway noise, some nice views but definitely don’t completely escape the sounds of the city.

Very easy hike from the trailhead to the cave. it's very dark so bring flashlights- cell phone light isn't enough. Our kids loved exploring inside.

Great trail, perfect for kids with a cool cave at the end. Unfortunately we saw clear evidence of drug use and the cave had a heavy odor of either crack or methamphetamine smoke. Had a headache coming out and felt like I should not have brought my 5year old in there with her sensitive lungs. Too bad. Might be better during the week.

'hiked' this with my preschool son. He really impressed me with his ambition and courage to show me his climbing up the shale debris after exploring the tunnel vault three times. The blasted vault was cool and dry. Although there was some vandalism, thankfully the graffiti wasn't noticeably too rude and explicit. Be careful about the iron pin rod sticking down from the ceiling in a side chamber. Overall trip from parking to vault and back was 2-1/2 hrs.

Seen this bunker and had to go! Uphill the whole way but an easy hike. Bring bright flashlights because its dark in there!

Great fun hike !

Easy trail, bring strong flashlight for the cave! Kids & most pets could do it.

recorded Heart Creek Bunker

Excellent break in hike to start the season. Very easy. Child and dog friendly

nice easy hike. trail was easy to find. not sure why people mention that it isnt. neat little bunker to check out. was bigger then I was expecting.

beautiful trail, easy but rewarding. I would check your map frequently near the end as there are a couple forks in the trail that don't lead to the bunker. will being doing again for sure. dog friendly.

This hike is fun for kids, it's short and easy and has a cave at the end. Unfortunately, I was really bothered by the heavy traffic noise since it's right next to the highway. If that is something that bothers you I would do Heart Creek Trail instead.

Kind of neat , not very busy , parking lot was packed from people hiking the other side.

Good trail, would rate easy-moderate. Brought our dog and it was good, suitable for children too. Wasn’t too busy on bunker trail (waterfall trail on other side was very busy). Did see a bear on the trail about 5-10 minutes from the parking lot. Bunker at top was incredible, bring good flashlights.

Great easy hike. Heard a bear in the cave so we left right away!! Be careful!

Quick, easy hike with minimal snow until we reached the cliff face, where there was a mound of snow we had to walk over to get to the bunker entrance. Very cool spot, I'm surprised I hadn't heard of this before! Bring a powerful torch/flashlight.

great little hike, went into cave only about a meter as there was dense smell of campfire and fuel. would like to do again but bring powerful torches as it's dark!