Healy Pass Trail

Healy Pass Trail is a 18.3 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Sawback, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until August. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

18.3 km
890 m

Beautiful wildflowers.

4 out of 5 because of the very long time spent in the forest, which by all means is nice, but is also the majority of the hike. Totally worth it, though. Great views at the pass and very pretty, great for larch hike. Definitely wouldn’t rate this as hard by any means, so long as you have the endurance to do the length of the trail. The elevation gain is very gradual. No steep sections or ridges to negotiate.

Hiked this trail on October 20th. Conditions were very icy in the morning (micro spikes / cleats highly recommended) but as the day warmed up things began to thaw (pretty muddy and slushy). Beautiful views and still a good time to see some larches. We saw some bear tracks while still in the forest but did not see any bears.

Completed during the Larch Season and really enjoyed the views near the end.

Completed on the 16th of October. The initial 5-6kms of forrest is nothing special. However, once you break out into the meadows you get some spectacular views! They make it worthwhile.
The trail is covered in snow/ice at this time of year. Cleats were a big help.

Very nice trail despite the snow. Colors are still amazing! I’d rate this trail as moderate as the ascension was kinda smooth.

I wouldn’t grade this hike as difficult. It’s a gradual up and down through forests and meadows. It’s beautiful. We started at the Sunshine parking lot and hiked to Healy Pass - Egypt Lake - back up to Healy Pass - Simpson Pass - Sunshine Village. For this hike we planned to hike to Healy Pass, and see how we felt and decide where to go from there. We just kept exploring and wandering and in the end hiked 24km in total. It was endless views and a fun day. We hitched a ride from half way down the service road by three friendly gentlemen. That made our day! The Sunshine shuttle wasn’t dog friendly. Quite disappointing. It was a very long day. I wouldn’t recommend what we did. It was too long of a day. Doing it once was enough for me. Another fun adventure tho!

Very pleasant and easy walk. Would definitely visit again. Oh, there was snow on the top the day I visit. (Sep 3rd) just so you know.

I did this hike combining it with Simpson Pass to make the hike a lollipop. Parking was plentiful and the trail was easy to find. With some side walking to take pictures my GPS said that we hiked 13.6 miles. Healy Pass and the meadows above the tree lines offer some incredible views. The trail was moderately busy with trail runners, backpackers, and day hikers like ourselves. Overall I would suggest skipping Simpson Pass as it was mostly uneventful and led steeply downhill in some places, adding more miles to an already long hike.

We tried to get to Healy Pass but we didn't make it. :( We left too late in the morning. Due to hail and the time (we did have the gear), we decided to turn around. We had lots of bug spray on and weren't bothered by bugs. It is so beautiful. We will return to start earlier. Lots of parking and it is just gorgeous.

Awesome views. Wildflowers in full bloom! Great day hike. A bit ambitious for a day hike if you venture down to Egypt Lake, which we did. Worth the trek down, but really extended our trip, so make sure to plan accordingly if you’re considering adding that part on. Loved it! There were bugs, but not as bad as people are making it sound. Wear good bug spray and you’ll be fine.

BUG SPRAY IS NECESSARY!!!!

We didn’t find the mosquitos as bad, but we also had a cooler day which may have helped. The views are stunning and well worth the hike up! I would also say that this is more of a moderate hike. The incline is pretty steady and levels off in some areas.

The forest ist filled with mosquitos!!!!! and I mean there were sooooo much you can't make a break for Lunch. after 7.2 km you finish the forest and have a nice 1.4 km Hike to the pass. because of the mosquitos it doesn't worth for me. If they are no problem for you, it may be a great hike

3 stars for the first few miles of trail, as it was mostly just dense woods and full of pestering flies. 5 stars once you come out of the woods. The wildflowers appeared to be in full bloom (7/27). Totally unique to anything else we saw during our week in Banff/Jasper. Highly recommend during wildflower season!

This is just a partial recording as my all trails app stopped recording. Beautiful hike and scramble up pharaoh peak

First 8 or so km are a bit of a slog through a dense, mosquito filled (and I mean filled! Drench yourself in bug spray) forest. Once that’s done it opens up into meadows and the views are great. Healy Pass itself is a pretty easy incline through the meadows. Flowers probably aren’t out in full force yet but were still beautiful.

Camped at E5 July 5th. Many mosquitos along the creek trail. Mostly covered and dense brush for about 8km from the sunshine parking lot. Once the pass opens up the views are awesome and there were thousands of flowers. It was quite nice. Made the trek to Egypt Lake. It’s much farther than it looks. I would come back a bit later in the year to see more flowers.

Long and sometimes difficult, but incredibly beautiful and rewarding at the top!

Did this hike June 27. The first 7 km is mostly through forest but once you reach the meadows near the top it’s beautiful. It’s a long way but it isn’t too steep so it doesn’t feel very challenging at any one point. That being said I took the detour to Simpson pass adding a few extra kilometres on the way down and was quite tired by the end. Took me 5.5 hours from the parking lot to the top and back with some stops to eat along the way.

Sunday, December 24, 2017

oòlò9

Thursday, October 12, 2017

This trail was amazing! It is pretty "boring" for quite a while at first but do not give up. Once you get to the large opening, the views of all of the larch trees are amazing. And you can actually see further than 100 yards haha.

Definitely definitely make a left at the fork and take the sunshine trail loop back around to the Healy pass trail. It adds maybe 1.5 miles but there are large valleys with creeks and larch trees. This was my favorite part. Also there are some small ponds. it will take you along the British Columbia border which has a great view. Overall it was great! I think it took us 6.5 hours with taking the small sunshine loop detour.

Tuesday, October 03, 2017

loved it! larch trees were amazing.

Saturday, July 29, 2017

A very beautiful hike! Mostly no elevation gain until a few miles in. At the top of the trail there's beautiful wildflowers!

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Great, well-defined trail until the top. The forest part can be a bit tedoius but the views once you get out of the trees make it worth it.

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Awe inspiring views. Beautiful wild flowers challenging but very enjoyable every step of the way!

Monday, June 27, 2016

A good workout. We went there at end of June. The glacier lilies, paint brushes and other flowers (I don't know the name) were blooming. They are so beautiful. The views at the end of hike were fine.

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Good easy hike with minimal elevation gain. If you add the Simpson Pass Trail you can have a nice little loop walking past a lake o, It adds roughly and hour and half. Great during early to mid summer for flower viewing.

Be warned the end of Healy Pass is not marked so if you continue down the hill it turns into Egypt Lake Trail and your next marking will tell you to go back to connect to Healy Pass.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014