Ha Ling Trail to Ha Ling Peak

Ha Ling Trail to Ha Ling Peak is a 5.6 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Canmore, Alberta, Canada that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

5.6 km
762 m

The incline makes this more difficult but the actual distance is fairly short and the view is definitely worth it!

Challenging but so rewarding

it's a bit of a scramble, no snow in the way now but would definitely recommend walking sticks as well. great hike!

Did this morning with wife and dog. It’s a steady climb but not that difficult. Good workout on the legs. Loved the view.

Quite intense incline but totally worth it when you see the views.

Short but steep hike all the way up. Stunning view worth the sweat.

My first real mountain hike and I absolutely loved it. It is continuing uphill but well worth the amazing views.

I have never hiked before and a local convinced me this would be easy. I managed to make it to the top , slower than most but it is doable. I wish I would’ve been more prepared but it was worth it. Very fun and all the other hikers were very kind to us.

We also got lost off trail for an hour or so. Be careful to stay on the proper trail!

Completed this hike yesterday. This hike is a constant climb, from the minute you start at the trail head until you reach the peak. I’ve done so many hikes but never quite experienced how amazing it is to stand at the ridge of a mountain, being able to look down on either side. It’s so worth the difficulty, but bring lots of water & take your time :)

This hike took my friend and I approximately 2 hours to get to the top, and about 1 hour and 15 minutes down.

Amazing hike today. The wife and I did it but next time I would recommend walking sticks!!! It’s steep both soooo worth it when you get to the top.

this is a difficult, but not impossible trail. it starts off steep and over gnarly tree roots. the trees clear off about 2/3 up. no longer any snow on the trail, but still some were sections above the tree line. It was an absolutely beautiful day, sunny, very little wind. The views were incredulous. Just do it!

Go earlier if you can, this trail seems to get busy around early afternoon. We started our hike around 9:45am, and there was maybe 30 people at summit when we got there. Took us 1.5hrs to get up, and we hung around for 30mins. Enjoyed the view and had lunch! It’s beautiful up there, definitely worth the hike. By the time we started our descent, overheard a conservation officer on her phone say there were over 100 people (and more were coming up). It’s beautiful and not too difficult! I had poles but didn’t bring them out until the last bit of tree line and scree. They did help on the descent, but my friend did it without so it’s up to you and your fitness level.

Great hike, left at 9 am and it was perfect, the snow and frost had started to melt on our decent that would have made going up a bigger challenge, beautiful view and easy to follow trails.

Great Trail! Hiked last weekend. Bring poles !@! As the trail was muddy and snowy or a mixture of the two! We saw so many people slip! Definitely worth the view at the top. Next time we shall go to the peak!

Little bit of snow and mud near the top of the treeline. Rest of the trail was dry. Top was windy but nothing terrible.

Short and Sweet - with some great views once you clear the treeline. I completed this for the second time on 14th May 2018 with two others. We completed it in about 2.5 hours. Its a relentless uphill struggle for the first kilometer or so, but then the ascent becomes more gradual. The trail is pretty much free of snow now, with the exception of the last stretch before you clear the treeline. As it warmed up, the slush made things a bit trickier, but you don't need any traction aids providing you have decent hiking shoes/boots. Its one of the most popular trails in the area, so expect a high level of congestion, especially on the weekend and good weather days.

Oh man, what a steep climb. You think it will be easy, because the distance is so short. Don't be fooled! But as someone that normally hates mountain hiking, you know that the pain is only temporary because it's only about 3km to the top and you get great views throughout, even peeking through the trees. At the moment it's still a bit icy in the last section - very slippy, but only lasts for a short stretch. Wish we'd had poles though, the descent was so steep (and difficult at the icy bit). Don't let it put you off though, crampons are definitely not needed and it's one of the few mountain summit hikes in the area that has defrosted enough from the winter. Such a popular walk that you won't need to worry about bear encounters!

Very challenging hike. About 600 meters to the peak was still snowy and made it tough!! But totally worth the views.

Top 1/3 was icy and slushy and quite a mess. Poles and spikes recommended or be prepared to be sliding down. Super fun and challenging. But the view was worth it.

Great hike and views. Steep incline. I went last weekend and there was still a lot of snow so on the way down basically was losing down and fell a few times. But I thought that was fun :). Make sure to take hiking poles otherwise it’s nearly impossible either the snow.

Really enjoy this trail. First of the year. Still a bit of snow and ice in the upper tree line.

SO BUSY, even on a weekday. Me and my partner were the few on this trail actually prepared for the conditions, which included spikes, proper footwear and clothing and kept our dog on a leash. If you’re like me and get annoyed by people screaming from not being prepared falling off the trail, leaving litter every where and have their dogs running wild pooping on the trail without it being picked up, avoid this hike. When will people understand that wearing street footwear and jeans is not suitable for a hike with snow and ice? Jeez.

It was a definitely a hard hike with beautiful and rewarding views at the top! Pack lots of snacks and water! The trails are still icy and a lot of snow on the way to the top! Crampons or cleats/hiking poles will help you! One of the hardest hikes I’ve done to date!

This hike was my first summit completed at the end of April. Half way through hike the trail gets super snowy, when you take 1 step forward you're taking 2 steps back but so much fun. Snow stops just before the scramble to the top leaving a sturdy climb to the summit. On the way down you can see people bum imprints in the snow, its a lot easier to slide down haha. Would definitely do again, really good hike.

Hiked in the beginning of May. Only made it 3/4. At the half way mark, the trail gets super snowy and icy. It only got worse and worse the higher we got. Fantastic views though, will have to come back in the summer or with some crampons.

Great hike - easy to navigate and gets the lungs working within minutes. Nice switchbacks through forest, opening up to fantastic mountaintop views and the choice of a little scramble to the summit
Have done a couple of times and each time saw a few unprepared day trippers, it's not a walk for non-walkers/unfit people

Great hike for anyone. Can get very crowded in summer though.

A relatively quick hike that checks all the boxes. Easy to find trailhead - check, minimal hiking through a forest - check, rapid elevation gain for views - check, excellent views from the summit - check. Oh and a soft bed and great food/beer (The Wood) is only minutes away from finishing the hike - CHECK. There’s also a Geocache to look for (fun for our kids). But like the other reviews said, this hike goes straight up from the start. There is no flat/gradual trail through the trees to help get warmed up.

Hiked April 26th 2018. Definitely a difficult hike for sure with a mix of soft and hard packed snow, ice, mud and loose stone near the top. Crampons required not only to ascent but more importantly for the descent. Took close to 1:45-2:00 to climb at a quick pace with ample photo and water breaks along the way, however the 360 degree views from the top were spectacular! Would certainly hike again!