Ha Ling Trail to Ha Ling Peak

Ha Ling Trail to Ha Ling Peak is a 5.6 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Canmore, Alberta, Canada that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

5.6 km
762 m

Worth the trip. Amazing views once it opens up after the switch backs. Brilliant!!!

Just finished this trail for the first time (April 14, 2018). It took me a total of 2.5 hours, however I ran down most of the way. Nicely packed snow all the way up and a very easy to follow trail. Highly recommend crampons or some sort of traction on your feet.. trail was completed covered in packed snow and ice beneath. I saw some hikers without any traction on their feet and I was surprised.. not sure if they made it to the top or not. Blizzard 80% of the way up, however once I got past the tree line the sun started to peak through!! Stunning 360 degree views at the top and well worth the steep incline! Very windy past the tree line, so make sure to bring lots of layers. One of my favourite hikes to date! Amazing.

Steep hike but really worth it. It took us a bit less than 2 hours up and about the same down again. We wore small cleats (not proper crampons) and found it a little slippery in places but easily doable. Gets great sunshine most of the day but pack a windproof layer for the summit as the wind is fierce!

We did this trail Saturday March 31/18.
Trail is pretty steep going up but doable.
We had our ice cleats but we would have preferred to have something a little more extreme as it was pretty slick on the way down.
The views up top were breathtaking.
Definitely worth the effort.

My first ever summit! So much fun in the snow. Slid down on our butts for half of the way down

One of my favorite trails thus far. It requires a good push as most of the trail is on an incline. The view from the top is incredibly spectacular and beyond worth the struggle towards the peak.

We are not avid hikers and we still managed to complete the trail close to an hour and a half. It is so worth it!!!

We wore crampons and wished we had brought poles as well. However, we were hiking on a fresh batch of snow so poles are probably not needed when the path is beat down.

The weather at the top is quite chilly. We encountered a swift wind as we left the tree line to reach the peak. Prepare accordingly!

Absolutely amazing 360degree views from the peak! Great hike!!

Always love this hike in the fall but this was the first winter attempt and it was stunning. Lots of elevation over a short distance but the trail is well kept and easy to follow due to its popularity.

We had a south western wind so it got a bit unpleasant out of the treeline but it’s not far from the treeline to the peak. The winds made it so cold up there my iphone wouldn’t work, sapped the battery in about 2 minutes of photos. I’d recommend tech gloves, face masks and a charger pack to anyone else looking for some great shots at the top.

We wore spikes (small ones) and used poles and that was plenty of grip and stability. Otherwise it was a fantastic sunny day and a beauty of a mountain.

Such a rewarding hike.

Sunny but a bit cold at the top with the wind.
Challenging hike because of the snow, the last 200 meters are tricky.
Clits not essential but recommended.
Awesome views as soon as you leave the forest.

very challenging but once you get up there it is all worth the climb!

Great climb even with snow

Good, steep hike. 3 hours to summit and around 2.5 to decent. the views were decent.

Awsome Hike! - Complete January 21, 2018
Very cold at the top but worth it for the veiws! Easily do-able with crampons! To windy to walk along the ridge but will be back in the summer!

Very cold the day I did it. In the trees it was so nice, I was peeling off layers. Beyond the treeline it was savagely windy and cold at -30. It was also snowing, so I'll have to go back on a clear day for the views. I had crampons, but never used them. Closer to the treeline, there were a few steep slippery spots. Well packed all the way.

I just did this hike on January 3rd. The trail was quite packed down. The way down was slippery.was pretty cold at the top. Make sure to dress properly for the weather. Great hike!

I've done it 4 or 5 times, one of which was on December 26/10! It's a switchback hike so not especially stimulating but it really feels great to summit this guy and overlook Canmore below. It's straight up with the top but all scree that is in slippery side but close to Calgary and safe to do on your own as there is almost always someone else on it.

Just did Ha Ling New Year's Day and trail was nicely packed making it impossible to lose the trail. No ice and not too slippery so spikes aren't completed necessary, but helped a great deal to keep up speed. Some fun sliding spots for the way down.

I just did this hike Christmas morning. The trails are nice and packed down and not too slippery at all if you have some good hiking shoes. There were only a couple slippery spots when you get out of the tree line where the snow is lightly covering the rocks but it’s honestly fine. Did it without crampons or poles and I was great. There were two spots where people slid down on their bums on the decent which made for ALOT of fun and laughs. You don’t go too fast and you slow down naturally. Great little hike :)

Did this in December. It is really slippery and icy, but worth it.

Did this hike a couple years ago and it was great

Did this in November in snow. Steep exhausting climbing up was rewarded by incredible amazing view on Canmore and surrounding peaks. Cold and windy up there and quite bussy. Awesome! Do not forget hiking poles and crampons. It will ne much easier.

I did this in July and highly recommend if you are looking for alternative to the more catered/foot trafficy trails out of Banff. This is only 3.6 mile but the elevation gain is serious. The scenery is great the entire hike, with some changes in the vegetation as you go. I recommend making it all the way to the peak for the view of Canmore in the valley. I did this solo and will definitely do it again when I have the chance to bring someone along with me

Stunning, hard steady climb. Recommend cleats and sticks. Worth the effort

It's a intense uphill climb, but the view makes everything worth it. Would recommend to anybody looking for a challenge and a stunning view at the top.

Great first hike. Calgary is visible on a clear day. So windy at the peak but the view is great!

Very windy, need extra layers. Was slippery as you are coming out of the tree line, due to packed snow.

Bring layers!!! The peak gets chilly!
The way up is hard.... but the views are spectacular!

Bring layers. It warms up under the tree coverage on the way up but is windy and freezing once you are exposed up top.

It's a relentless climb but the views are worth it