Ha Ling Trail to Ha Ling Peak

Ha Ling Trail to Ha Ling Peak is a 5.6 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Canmore, Alberta, Canada that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

5.6 km
762 m

Great hike. Views are amazing at the top.

Great trail with a rewarding view. Reached the summit in 1hr 45min at a consistent pace. If your going to spend some time at the summit take a sweater.

Great hike. As it said it was not for amateurs. Hike took a total of 5 hrs round trip with a long stop at the top. We started off at 6:30am which was a great time to go as it started to get busier on the way down, so when we arrived at the top we had the peak to ourselves. Make sure to wear good shoes and hiking poles make it a lot easier.

Such an amazing view! But this hike is a beast from the get-go! From the very beginning it's an incline and there's no letting up. This is definitely a cardiovascular hike! Coming down is a bit sketchy until you hit the tree line. So worth it though!

Up, up, and up. Good little leg burner first thing in the morning. 2hrs up, 1 hr down. Pretty cool drop off at that north end. Recommend hiking poles if your knees are temperamental.

Beautiful views when you get out of the tree line.

Pretty crowded but amazing views. Do not try this until you are acclimated to the altitude. Big horn sheep sighting.

5 star summit views, 2-3 star trail. Heavily trafficked is right. I started the trail around 530pm on a Sunday and there were a ton of people still descending. Over half of them blasting music and taking "shortcuts", which I find to be incredibly rude. The trail itself is easy to follow, but the areas around it are trampled and destroyed, which is unfortunate. All that being said, this was still a super fun and quick peak to bag with limited time. I was able to get to the summit in about 1.5 hours, down in about an hour for a total of 3 hours with the stop at the top. Once you get above the treeline, there is a trail you can follow that winds all the way up, but if you're comfortable with scrambling instead there's an opportunity for that too. The views at the top are absolutely outstanding! I wish I had more time to enjoy them. I would definitely recommend this hike if you're in a time crunch, want a leg burner with some fun scrambling potential and a phenomenal payoff--as long as you can tolerate the crowds. Weekday would probably be awesome!

I did this hike with a close friend of mine for sunrise, it was absolutely gorgeous! I would highly recommend it to anyone in the area. Do be aware that it is tremendously steep at some points, and the top can be snowy, icy and very rocky. I would recommend this for sunrise as the views over the town of Canmore are stunning! Make sure that if you are doing this hike (or any hike) for sunrise, that you do it during the day, a few days before. That way you can make note of particular landmarks to stay on the trail. On this trail in particular, a third of the way up, it does branch off to the right and the left. You'll see Mount Rundle to the right, and when you do see a trail leading towards it, GO THE OPPOSITE WAY. Go to the left side! If you go to the right towards Rundle, it will be a much more difficult trail that adds around an hour to your time.

My goal was to do this hike for my 50th Birthday. A friend and my son in law joined me. It was raining when we started out but most of the hike was dry except for light snow at the top. It was quite steep the whole way and rocky at the top.clouds blew away for a few minutes while we were having cake at the top so we could see Canmore below. It had rained a fair bit at the bottom so parts coming down were slippery; thankful we had poles. Loved that I was able to accomplish my goal! :)

I love this hike because it’s easy to follow, it’s relatively short with a fantastic view at the top. Lots of people go here which hinders progress in the afternoon, but if you go in the morning it’s wonderful. It’s definitely a straight inclination the entire way. I’ve been here 3 times now.

Great hike with an awesome view at the top of Canmore, but you need to be in good physical fitness to do it because it is a constant uphill climb with only a few places that are level. About the last 100 meters are just straight rock so you have to kind of work your way up slowly otherwise you could slip. When you come down, shimmy on your butt to get better grip of the rock. Also, take a hoodie, cap, and gloves to keep your hands warm and to give you a good grip of the rocks when you’ are coming down. I did the hike at twelve years old so don’t let age stop you.

Spectacular views await at the top, it’s worth the effort to get there. Started at 6, first in the lot, topped around 8:30. Came from Michigan the day prior, so it is doable without being acclimated if you of a reasonable fitness level. Last bit is a nice scramble, but prior to the trail is in very nice condition.

Can be slippery at the beginning but gets drier and rockier as you ascend (mid July is when I went). Need to be in decent shape for this one... it’s uphill all the way. Nice scramble at the top with spectacular views...great to feel the clouds rush up against the edge of the peak.

A gorgeous and rewarding hike. The temperature change and wind from the forest to the peak is huge, so be prepared with an extra layer no matter the time of year.

Amazing views! Relentless climb all the way to the top but worth it. Can be quite busy. Saw some mountain goats.

Couldn’t quite get to the top today as the wind was very strong and changing directions constantly. The views were still amazing and I would recommend this trail to anyone up for a good leg burner, it was as hard on the legs going down as it was during the climb.

Good trail that was lightly trafficked in the morning. surprising how quickly you gain elevation. Took 2.5 hours return trip with a lunch break at the top.

This is a leg burner for sure! Just be smart about it and wear proper hiking shoes, layers, bring water and snacks for the top. It's a steep elevation all the way with a minor scramble at the very top. 90mins-2hours to the summit and lots of traffic on the trails.

Very good hike! Views on the summit don’t disappoint!! Incline the whole way, once you pass the tree line, it’s pretty exposed and windy.

3 hours round trip with a couple of breaks. uphill the entire way! beautiful view.

Fantastic views from the top. Bit of a grind on the legs but it’s worth it. Top third or so is an exposed scramble on loose rocks. Steep the whole way.

Great trail, close proximity to Canmore, easy day hike.

Did this yesterday as my first hike ever up the mountain with two of my crazy experienced friends. This is definitely not for beginners as I found out the hard way. Needed lots of stops, on the job training on footing, and plenty of water. Managed to almost hit the peak at 2400 mark. Broke me but was rewarding for the view and self discovery. Took us all together 7 hours back and forth. Recommended for advanced hikers with plenty of technical training, strong legs and absolutely good stamina. Good luck!

Group of 6 ladies did this hike, took us 4 hours up and down with a long beautiful lunch at the top. Loved having my poles, lots of people on the trail.

My friend and I are both relatively new to hiking and this was our first summit.
The views are magnificent and well worth the hike. There are some nice spots on top that are semi-protected from the wind. We stopped and had lunch!
The trail is very busy, so getting lost shouldn't happen. Sharing the trail is required and there were a lot of cute dogs as well.
Make sure you choose your footing wisely.
We went June 6th :)

Great trail and well marked while in the bottom 3/4. Last bit is completely exposed without coverage and trail becomes more difficult with loose rock. Trail is very steep all throughout but worth all the views at the top!

Great hike! Not for beginners. We were misinformed and it took us 6 hours back and forth but it was beautiful and totally worth it. But need training before hand!

Amazing views. Very windy on the top. We have done it yesterday. Few snow flakes appeared, but no snow on the path. In the half of mountain you can choose from 2 ways.. dont choose the shorter and steeper one! :D it is not fun and it takes even longer.

Perfect