Ha Ling Trail to Ha Ling Peak

Ha Ling Trail to Ha Ling Peak is a 5.8 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Canmore, Alberta, Canada that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

5.8 km
729 m

Very cold the day I did it. In the trees it was so nice, I was peeling off layers. Beyond the treeline it was savagely windy and cold at -30. It was also snowing, so I'll have to go back on a clear day for the views. I had crampons, but never used them. Closer to the treeline, there were a few steep slippery spots. Well packed all the way.

I just did this hike on January 3rd. The trail was quite packed down. The way down was slippery.was pretty cold at the top. Make sure to dress properly for the weather. Great hike!

I've done it 4 or 5 times, one of which was on December 26/10! It's a switchback hike so not especially stimulating but it really feels great to summit this guy and overlook Canmore below. It's straight up with the top but all scree that is in slippery side but close to Calgary and safe to do on your own as there is almost always someone else on it.

Just did Ha Ling New Year's Day and trail was nicely packed making it impossible to lose the trail. No ice and not too slippery so spikes aren't completed necessary, but helped a great deal to keep up speed. Some fun sliding spots for the way down.

I just did this hike Christmas morning. The trails are nice and packed down and not too slippery at all if you have some good hiking shoes. There were only a couple slippery spots when you get out of the tree line where the snow is lightly covering the rocks but it’s honestly fine. Did it without crampons or poles and I was great. There were two spots where people slid down on their bums on the decent which made for ALOT of fun and laughs. You don’t go too fast and you slow down naturally. Great little hike :)

Did this in December. It is really slippery and icy, but worth it.

Did this hike a couple years ago and it was great

Did this in November in snow. Steep exhausting climbing up was rewarded by incredible amazing view on Canmore and surrounding peaks. Cold and windy up there and quite bussy. Awesome! Do not forget hiking poles and crampons. It will ne much easier.

I did this in July and highly recommend if you are looking for alternative to the more catered/foot trafficy trails out of Banff. This is only 3.6 mile but the elevation gain is serious. The scenery is great the entire hike, with some changes in the vegetation as you go. I recommend making it all the way to the peak for the view of Canmore in the valley. I did this solo and will definitely do it again when I have the chance to bring someone along with me

Stunning, hard steady climb. Recommend cleats and sticks. Worth the effort

It's a intense uphill climb, but the view makes everything worth it. Would recommend to anybody looking for a challenge and a stunning view at the top.

Great first hike. Calgary is visible on a clear day. So windy at the peak but the view is great!

Very windy, need extra layers. Was slippery as you are coming out of the tree line, due to packed snow.

Bring layers!!! The peak gets chilly!
The way up is hard.... but the views are spectacular!

Bring layers. It warms up under the tree coverage on the way up but is windy and freezing once you are exposed up top.

It's a relentless climb but the views are worth it

I’m not an advanced hiker, so I’m pretty proud of myself for finishing this trail unscathed. Not too sure why I picked this is the first place, but we did it! In 4hrs and 9 mins including all our stops and picturing taking at the summit. Be prepared for quite the incline right off the bat and for it to continue all the way to the top. Slow and steady wins the race, bring layers for later because it definitely gets colder and windier at the top. Loose rock at the top make it impossible to go faster than snail pace when coming back down and it’s pretty scary. So I definitely recommend hiking boots and poles, but we didn’t have any and still made it. Happy hiking :)

Dog friendly, amazing views and it can be completed in just a few hours. If hiking this one in the fall or early spring when there is snow or ice on the trail, I'd definitely recommend throwing ice cleats in your bag just in case you come across icy patches!

Stunning view at peak