Grotto Mountain Trail

Grotto Mountain Trail is a 9.7 kilometer loop trail located near Canmore, Alberta, Canada that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

9.7 km
1228 m

pardon my language but this mountain was an absolute b**** to climb. really steep and challenging, but the view at the top is worth while.

Very tough trail but beautiful, little bit of snow at the top yesterday. Recommend to take the left path to go up and down. The path to go down using the loop is too sketchy. Also, try to go down fast (baby steps type of running) it is easier that way, and use the rocky areas instead of the trail at the summit, since at the top,it is snowy and very slippery.

Absolutely freezing. Took the course clockwise, quite a bit of snow on the ridge to the summit. Had to do a bit of dangerous climbing (everything covered in snow). Couldn't complete the loop (once we got to the summit, the downhill was completely covered in snow). We returned down the way we came!

The climb was awesome (one of the steepest ascents I've done). Be careful with the snow... Wind gusts in the negative temps...

I always considered myself as a season hiker for the past several years. I typically hiked about 2 to 3 times a year. By far, this is the most difficult hike I've had to deal with. It's very much a scramble every step of the way 15, 20 mins from the trail head.and the direction is very difficult to follow. I think this had to be with scrambles path people had to deal with. So, it appear hikers made their own trails to avoid scrambles. I would have to say this hike is more for extreme hiker. I would not recommend average hiker for this mountain. If you are. Be prepare to bring a lot of water, proper hiking boot. Preferable with ankle support. A hiking sticks is also a very good option.

Grotto Mountain was definitely one of the most difficult hikes we have done this summer. We descended the same way we went up which seemed to be the way everyone was doing it. Difficult steep descent. Stunning views from the top, lots of exposure so bring warm clothing!

Awesome hike to the top. difficult to come down. challenging but worth it!

Went on a 30C day. By far the hardest hike this year. Do it!!

A nice work out with great views as the rewards. We did this yesterday through the ACC route so we won't miss the after tree lines' views. The winds blew crazy. At some way this helped blowing the smokes (caused by Banff fires) however in the other hand, this made difficult to stand still when we were walking on the ridge to the true summit. After all, I really recommend this hike.

Amazing hike! Complete the loop solo starting from the right side. Not as much scrambling as I was thinking. Get views at summit and amazing ridge line to walk if you to the Loop.

Great Rocky Mountain hike. Steep gains on the way up will get your cardio up for sure. The direct summit routes can be hard to stay too as not a lot of traffic. I climbed it on a weekend and saw one other party on the summit ridge. Passed goats on the way up at close proximity. All and all a great hike. Choose your route on descent with care. I ran into two technical sections that i had bypassed on the ascent.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

We hiked up the less busy climbers route which is a fancy way of saying "go straight up the mountain and enjoy it" and there are few people on the trail which is great! You arrive on the east summit ridge and can do a trail run along the ridge to the west which has great footing. A few ups for climbing but it's great. Did a slower round trip in 4:29 for 15.66kms starting at the ACC centre (parked by the firewood pile). We ascended into the clouds which was nice, easy trail to see at the top. The ACC route is a bit of a slog on the west side and up and down same route. Definitely run the ridge, so worth it!

It's the Rockies and this is an awesome hike!

Sunday, May 29, 2016

quite the scramble in the winter. crampons and ice axes needed. what a blast though

Thursday, July 24, 2014

You have four starting points which lead to two routes up to the summit ( NW summit, Centre real summit with ABS capsule to record your achievement, SE summit.) Cougar creek past the debris fence is one and Horseshoe loop as the second start you out on the NW route. The Alpine Club HQ trail as the third will start out kind of central and join the Cougar creek trail 3/4 of the way up to the NW summit and then moderate incline traverse to centre summit. From the SE you can #4 access from the Rat's Nest Cave parking lot. Cave trail and SE summit trail separate at the power line. Cave trail is well use and dog legs down power line and then left back up hill. Summit trail directly crosses power line and continues uphill and in comparison to the cave trail looks unused. Towards the top you will either angle right to SE summit or angel left toward the centre. This mnt. can be done in a circuit if you have two modes of transportation waiting for you at either end. The trail has few switchbacks as it likes to head straight up. Elevation gain of 1365m in 5.7klm (rating 4.2) but most of the gain is in about 3.3klm with an average incline rating of 2.4 now that is a leg burner. Trail in the summer is hard pack with little lose surface pebbles acting as roller bearings make the descent slippery. Hiking poles come in handy. You're not likely to be alone yet it is not a very busy trail - ((Dah it is 2.4 rated for a stretch. A 45* angle is rated at 2)) Good workout, take lots of breaks the views are terrific. Geology is amazing. On the SE route watch for sea shells and petrified barnacles in the rock bands at, can you believe, 2400m (8000ft.)

Saturday, May 25, 2013

There's two ways of doing this mountain take the second trail up and stay to the left or go the far right I went up to the left and came down the far right. I was told this was Farley easy but became aware that this is fairly step and just pick a slow pace and take breaks the first hour and a half is the hardest and then it becomes easier make sure you bring lots of water and your bear mace and a snack. I enjoyed every minute of this climb up and till I noticed I had two ticks stuck on me.