Grizzly Peak Trail

Grizzly Peak Trail is a 6.0 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kananaskis, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

6 km
896 m

rock climbing

old growth

What an action-packed hike, I decided to pursue the peak on my own because I had originally took two friends to conquer grizzly Peak the week before. We gave up a quarter of the way up because my friend was sick. This time was a solo mission, on the way up I heard some loud human noises, at first I thought it was some hikers being noisy to deter any dangerous wildlife, but then I heard a distinct call for help. I scanned the landscape to find any sort of shape that would resemble a human being. Then I saw some movement about 300 m down the slope, I shouted back to let him know that I was coming to help. He was quite far off trail and had been lost for about an hour, he wanted to get a Headstart on his friends who were more experienced hikers. He was so happy with me that he took my picture so that he could show his kids the man that saved his life, I bashfully accepted. I continued my track running into three different groups of hikers, all of them dressed appropriately for the hike comparatively to me in my low-quality Nike sneakers and " clubwear as my friends would say" I like the ninja like capabilities and that this sort of footwear has, although it tends to perform at a low level when you are hiking through Mud. There was a moment on this hike that gave me a feeling of total bliss, the scenery is absolutely of some of the finest that I've ever seen, I've been all around the world and seen some of the most beautiful places in this hike has some very special places. I wish that I made it to the top, I got confused about 83.6% of the final destination, I intend to go back and conquer the peak. I am by no means in advance hiker, but I'm a combination of brave and dumb, and have had experienced hikers bring me on some pretty gnarly trails in the past including crows nest mountain. It is easy to lose the trail, but if you're like me don't freak out you will find it if you just relax and search up and down the land scape.

A great short hike with better views than I expected! It's a really steep climb. The back side of the mountain was snowy and it caused quite a few slips coming down.

Short, but Steep. Looking back at my track recording, I did deviate from the original course on the way down, but I wasn't off by much. Trekking poles will help on the way down, till you hit the rock scrambling section, then they get in the way. There was 5 Mountain sheep right next to the trail. If you look closely, you might find some seashell fossils in the black scree right before the plateau.

Meh hike. Steep. Nice views. I agree with other reviewers that the trail gets confusing on the descent. I think that one is a one and done for me.

Loved it!!! its longer than it seems, we traced about 7.7 Km, only hard part was the scramble closer to the top. Be careful on the way down, theres lots of trials leading in all directions, try to get to the face of the mountain -infront of the highway, turned in to soon and had some exposure climbing down!

Straight up yo!

Challenging hike. We recorded it much longer then what's posted but maybe we took the wrong trails? Closer to 11km out and back.

Tough hike but the summit is worth it. Views are breathtaking.

There's a beautiful meadow we had lunch at before the final stretch to the peak.

Loved this hike. Would definitely recommend !

Very steep and some scrambling at one point. Somehow my dog made it up with me, but I wouldn't recommend bringing dogs. One of the most rewarding hikes I have been on.

Only downside is the trail is hard to find from the road.

Beautiful view! Soo worth the climb in. It was very smokey but it made for some cool silhouettes of the mountains. I wouldn't suggest doing it with a dog. We had to carry our dog down most of the way.

Really steep, good workout and worth it for the views.

Consistently steep trail that offers a lot of variety of terrain. The views are great throughout, especially once you get up to the meadow and ridge. It can be challenging right before that ridge due to the scree you have to scramble up. When you're going up, look to the right for the trail that takes you to the ridge. Don't trek the scree all the way to the top. Coming back down there's a part where we went down a different trail than we took up, I don't know if it's been washed out a bit but we missed it. However it's easy enough to see where you need to go.

Amazing views from the top. Quite steep throughout the whole hike. Going down was definitely harder, and we managed to get lost along the way. Luckily we had AlpineQuest and were able to find our way back onto the path (but not without difficulty).

Physically challenging, not so much on a technical level, unless you are not comfortable going down steep hills.

A hike that offers some beautiful views of the Kananaskis Valley. Short but steep and unrelenting, it is extremely rewarding once you reach the peak.